frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Thoughts on Russell Brand?

Debate Information

Thoughts on Russell Brand? While I don't like him and think he is an !diot, I still must make sure to keep any negative biases out of being influenced by this. That being said, there are some things I have noticed a few things that might be significant. Firstly, he is on YouTube and portrays himself a lot differently from the way he used to be. On some of the YouTube videos I have seen recently, it looks like he is trying to portray himself as some moral, reasonable, and upstanding citizen all for the people. Now, I could be wrong but this could be more of trying to convince the public that he is an upstanding and good person rather than just convey straightforward messages. 

Then there is the fact that while some allegations are indeed fabricated lies these are statistically rare. I am sorry to say it but the more people that come forward as victims the more likely that at least one or more of those allegations are true. Generally, people just don't make things up like that. In addition to that, the way he behaved in past years which some might not remember like when he was on Mock the Week, in shows with Jimmy Saville, making jokes about the allegations, and just inappropriate allegations in general also seems significant.  He even made a prank with him and Jonathan Ross that involved pretending that one of the actors from the sitcom Faulty Towers family members had been raped! Seriously? These two thought this was a comedy; Rape? 

Again, I could just be letting my own biases get the better of me. However, one thing is for sure, and that is the evidence and crucial investigative examination should reveal all! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6069 Pts   -  
    Richard Feynman once suggested the following mental experiment. Chinese citizens are not allowed to see the face of the Emperor. How does one estimate the length of the Emperor's nose? One can simply poll a large number of citizens, asking them, "What do you think is the length of the Emperor's nose?" By averaging the results we should get a reasonable estimate of the length of the Emperor's nose...
    Except, since no citizen has any data allowing them to say virtually anything about the length of the Emperor's nose, all the collected data is completely useless, and the estimate makes no sense.

Similarly, I do not think that the number of allegations against an individual says anything about how actually guilty he is. Hate campaigns are a thing, and very often it only takes one or two voices for thousands other voices to join in, not because they have all been victimized by the target of the campaign, but because, for one reason or another, they want the target removed or seriously hurt - or it even may be as simple as wanting to extort some money from him.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is not just some legal technicality, but an essential philosophical principle when it comes to justice in general. Much like the burden of proof, this principle assures that simply making a negative claim about someone does not have any direct consequences, and some concrete evidence or argumentation is required for the accusation to be considered seriously. This principle does not suddenly become irrelevant because a large enough number of people accused someone of something. Even if 99.999% of the world's population says that someone has raped someone, without concrete evidence these are just empty words. Now, individuals are free to err on the side of safety if they want and assume that the person is guilty even without due evidence - but I refuse to err on he side of safety if it means giving bullies a free reign over society. I do not want to live in a society where a few people can group up and accuse someone of something and destroy their life, regardless of whether they are guilty or not, and I will not contribute to emergence of such a society.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 534 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 Well this guy has admitted that he is a sex addict and plugs his doolie into just about any thing that walks. So its no surprise really that his nob has got him in to trouble and the only reason that he made those lar de dar youtube videos trying to look descent is that he knew all these allegations were brewing any way. Katy Perry had to put up with all his womanizing so in the end she left him in the end. Im afraid this has really cooked his goose and hes finished.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    I don't like the guy and find him boring and not in the least funny or entertaining , I don't get his mass appeal at all.

Having said that I do detest this attitude of our modern PC  society and all that entails. Once one or two people launch an attack the floodgates open and the mob comes howling for blood many is the reputation has been ruined by these campaigns.

If the evidence is there it will come out everything else is just unfounded gossip at the moment.

I remember Ricky Gervais saying at the golden globes " No Harvey Weinstein at this years awards , lots of you ladies were good friends of his this time last year and never said a word about rape" , these celebs are weird they will out certain people but keep tight-lipped regards others.