frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Debate Island shouldn't allow controversial questions to be posted as actual debates

Debate Information

What is with all the posts that are just a single question followed by a picture and one to two lines of text saying that something should or shouldn't happen?

When did this site become a forum posting for people's imposing and pointed questions intended to draw out the opposition to argue like children over them?

If you're going to post a debate, actually post a premise and conclusion to you side of the debate. Take a side and explain in detail your position, elaborate on why you believe or have concluded in your stance. Provide justification and reason, logic and evidence. 

Putting a giant photo up from some conspiracy website gives off the appearance of a child who's trying to find those who will live in their echo chamber with them and enemies to be hateful towards.

Barnardot
  1. Live Poll

Should the bar be raised to post a debate so that an actual debate can be had?

2 votes
    1. Yes
      100.00%
    2. No
        0.00%
"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    Too many contributors to Debate Island are not interested in debating at all.    All they wat to do is heckle.    This usually consists of submitting sneery one liners to opponents willing to submit lengthy and detailed submissions.     Jack/excon and the master of this type of debate stifling.        As for Dee, Piloteer, Barnadot, and John smith, they are just trolls who are amusing themselves by winding up other contributors.     My opinion is, that they should be removed from Debate Island since they have no intention of debating on good faith at all.   

There are two sides to any debate.    Each side should present a reasoned argument explaining why his or her side is right and the other side is wrong.     Both sides can then critique each others reasoning and ask question's of each other.    That is debating.    
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Bogan

***Putting a giant photo up from some conspiracy website gives off the appearance of a child who's trying to find those who will live in their echo chamber with them and enemies to be hateful towards.***

Yet rwo such debates are ones whining incessantly about poor ole Israel and you're the main contributor on both   what  raging hypocrite you are.

*** As for Dee, Piloteer, Barnadot, and John smith, they are just trolls who are amusing themselves by winding up other contributors.     My opinion is, that they should be removed from Debate Island since they have no intention of debating on good faith at all***

I debate anyone who wants to actually debate rabid racists and bigots like you I never take seriously,nor does anyone else.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6072 Pts   -  
    Unfortunately, this community has been going downhill for years now. Back when I joined this website in 2018, there were, at least, 10 posters around here who could make well-reasoned arguments, actually listened to each other and put thought into their replies to what they read. But over time, I think, lack of moderation caused a gradual influx of people who were posting here just because they had nothing better to do with their time, and a gradual outflux of the old crew. Now to meet someone who will actually engage with your argument, rather than either post a few one-liners, or see a couple of keywords in your comment and lash at them out of context, has become exceedingly rare.

I do think that some kind of moderation is mandatory for survival of this kind of a community. I am not sure how it can be implemented, but the simplest idea I have is to engage an NLP model. Those models have become capable to easily tell a high quality comment from a lazy one. They could monitor users' comments, and users who systematically make short comments or fail to respond to their opponents' points would get a warning and, eventually, a temporary ban from the community. If humans do not want to moderate these debates, then let the AI do it.

Any in-person debate has moderation, and if the moderators are good, they make sure that the discussion stays on track and have no tolerance for intellectual laziness. Look at the series of debates between Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson for an illustration of what a good debate moderation looks like. Complete chaos when a bunch of people just sit in a room and bicker - eventually leads to where we are now.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited November 2023
    Vaulk said:

Putting a giant photo up from some conspiracy website gives off the appearance of a child who's trying to find those who will live in their echo chamber with them and enemies to be hateful towards.

Hello V:

Intelligent people talk about Ideas
    Average people talk about things
    Stu-pid people talk about other people

Sniveling about other posters ISN'T debate.  It's what people do when they've been severely thrashed about the head and shoulders.

excon
    DeePhiteDreamer
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  

Try writing an entire 350 word article starting with a clearly stated premise that you are prepared to defend with a reasoned argument.     Writing sneery one liners or simply submitting curt replies dealing entirely in implications is hardly going to impress anybody into thinking you have an opinion worth reading.    Neither is, just continually asking loaded Dorothy Dixer questions.     You may think that it makes you look authoritative, but it just makes you look like an ignorant person winging it to vainly defend a position he passionately holds, but has little knowledge of.

• BarnardotBarnardot 534 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk I agree with you and I remember when this site started it was orderly but there were only a few topics that all said prove me wrong and the topics them selfs were so stuffy like Are hard backs better than paper backs. And then you get the Trolls coming on to the site like @Dee who liers like a flat fish and likes to stir things up. But then that’s entertainment I suppose and people want to have a bit of fun. And we’re got to face sit that things change and many people don’t want to know about nonsequiters. So yes we should have some moderation to keep those tards honest but I don’t think you should restrict the topics . It is how it is debated that really matters. 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited November 2023
    Barnardot

And then you get the Trolls coming on to the site like @Dee who liers like a flat fish and likes to stir things up.

Nonsense, if I ever lied you could easily prove it but  you cannot proving how dishonest you are. You spend your time attacking and calling others ldishonest when you're defeated in debate which is always.

So go on prove I lie, where's your evidence? You have nothing so run along and troll someone else.

You and your self confessed racist buddy Bogend  spend your time on here whining and complaining to mods , I bet you just go whining to your boss at work whenever someone is even a minute late, where I live people like you are detested by all.

So come tough guy prove it, but I just bet you go shooting your fool mouth off again with not one shred of evidence to back you up.

Say how are your Nike made in Pakistan shoes holding up? How's your pretend Hermes phone case getting along does it make your phone more efficient....LOL 

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Bogan

Try writing an entire 350 word article starting with a clearly stated premise that you are prepared to defend with a reasoned argument.     Writing sneery one liners or simply submitting curt replies dealing entirely in implications is hardly going to impress anybody into thinking you have an opinion worth reading.    Neither is, just continually asking loaded Dorothy Dixer questions.     You may think that it makes you look authoritative, but it just makes you look like an ignorant person winging it to vainly defend a position he passionately holds, but has little knowledge of.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Dee Quite right. And outing others for being blatantly deceiving and dishonest is doing the right thing.
    For example posting scam web sites with made up doctors names and made up papers that also phish people who are made to pay to go to the site.
    Another example would be some one falsely claiming that he bought some thing for a fraction of the price.
    So thats not complaining. Thats outing. The complaining comes from the other side. Its a bit like road rage really. Have you ever noticed how its always the guilty party who screams the loudest and carrys on?
  • BarnardotBarnardot 534 Pts   -   edited November 2023
    @Dee ;Nonsense, if I ever lied you could easily prove it 

Thats quite right. You are getting better with your facts at last.

And as you know I have proved it with evidence each time and so have others on this site who have outed you for the same things. We have all quite rightly and accurately proven withevidence each time when you have tried to pull the wool. Its just that you will never take a baaaahhh of it :) . Jesus Ive never seen any one shoot him self in the foot so much. Are you irish or what?

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited November 2023
    @Barnardot

***Thats quite right. You are getting better with your facts at last.***

I agree I'm always right

***And as you know I have proved it with evidence each time and so have others on this site who have outed you for the same things.***

I stated yesterday your response would be to make accusations without one shred of evidence ,so come on tough guy why don't you and your imaginary buddies post some up?

***We have all quite rightly and accurately proven withevidence each time when you have tried to pull the wool***

"We" lol.....Post your "evidence" tough guy?

You cannot because you have none

***ts just that you will never take a baaaahhh of it  . Jesus Ive never seen any one shoot him self in the foot so much. Are you irish or what?***

All you ever do is call anyone you disagree with st-pid when the only st-pid  one is you you demonstrate this ever time you open your mouth.

I see you're anti Irish as well no surprise there you seem to hate anyone who isn't a bible thumping Trumpster.

@Dee ;I see you're anti Irish as well

No Im not anti Irish at all. In fact I think that every home should have 1.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

No Im not anti Irish at all. In fact I think that every home should have 1.

What a hilarious response , you probably got help with that from your thieving of a dog you call your girlfriend .....now run along back to the ho and her crack pipe.......yeeeeeehaaaa 
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    Wow!   Two trolls trolling each other!     Hahahahahahahaha!
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Bogan

Wow!   Two trolls trolling each other!

Yes I agree you and Barndoor are trolls.
  • Argument Topic: Not going to find that around here!

@Vaulk

If you are looking for high quality intellectual debates this is not that place. I highly recommend seeking out some discord servers. They have some legit great philosophy and politics servers. 
    Dreamer

• DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: I agree, too many people play semantic games and use cheap tricks. In the end their arguments are vacuous.

I am close to reaching my mute limit of 10 lol.