frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should non documented people be given a drivers license? How about a SS account?

Debate Information

Hello:

Driving knows no citizenry..  From my perspective, I'd like to KNOW that the people I share the road with ARE insured.  You?

By the same token, a job has no citizenry.  The interview should be about WORKING, not ones citizenship.  Plus, as a free citizen, I want to HIRE the person I wish to hire - NOT who the government TELLS me to hire. 

excon

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    jack said:
    Hello:

Driving knows no citizenry..  From my perspective, I'd like to KNOW that the people I share the road with ARE insured.  You?

By the same token, a job has no citizenry.  The interview should be about WORKING, not ones citizenship.  Plus, as a free citizen, I want to HIRE the person I wish to hire - NOT who the government TELLS me to hire. 

excon
    The US already has a workers permit system in place that any person who entered the country legally can apply for.  Why is this inadequate?  Is it because the people you wish to employee committed a crime by entering the country illegally?  And then most likely committed several felonies by engaging in ID theft, fraud, forgery, and perjury?  Immigrants who entered the country legally can get a worker's permit.  So I have to assume that you want to reward those who have committed crimes.  Am I right about that?

Legal immigrants can get a driver's license.  So, what is the problem here?  Are you wanting to reward those who committed crimes to enter the country by giving them a driver's license?  It certainly sounds like that's your argument.  Well, there are some states that already do allow those who entered the country illegally to get a legal driver's license - California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.  DC will also allow you to do this.  Studies show this will increase the insured rate by about 1%.  That's good, until you realize that unlawful entrants are a much larger percentage of the population than that - meaning that most unlawful entrants are driving without insurance. In the positive column, insurance rates are reduced by about $18 per year in states that insure illegal workers.  Its not a big change, but let's mention it anyway.  California recorded a drop in hit and runs by 8-10%. However, there are more crashes in states where those who committed a crime and entered the country illegally can get a legal drivers license.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited November 2023

So I have to assume that you want to reward those who have committed crimes.  Am I right about that?

Legal immigrants can get a driver's license.  So, what is the problem here?  Are you wanting to reward those who committed crimes to enter the country by giving them a driver's license?
    Hello just:

No...  No, you're not right..  It's NOT about REWARD or PUNISHMENT.   It's about YOU and your interests.   Requiring drivers to have insurance doesn't reward them.  It PROTECTS you and your family...  You drive..  I know you do..  Somebody COULD plow into you tomorrow.  Clearly, you'd want that person to be insured..

Same thing with peaches..  You eat peaches..  I know you do..  If nobody was there to pick them, you ain't gonna be eating peaches any time soon..  I'm talking about YOUR  interests.

excon

jack said:

So I have to assume that you want to reward those who have committed crimes.  Am I right about that?

Legal immigrants can get a driver's license.  So, what is the problem here?  Are you wanting to reward those who committed crimes to enter the country by giving them a driver's license?
    Hello just:

No...  No, you're not right..  It's NOT about REWARD or PUNISHMENT.   It's about YOU and your interests.   Requiring drivers to have insurance doesn't reward them.  It PROTECTS you and your family...  You drive..  I know you do..  Somebody COULD plow into you tomorrow.  Clearly, you'd want that person to be insured..

Same thing with peaches..  You eat peaches..  I know you do..  If nobody was there to pick them, you ain't gonna be eating peaches any time soon..  I'm talking about YOUR  interests.

excon

Where we disagree is that I believe that driving is not a right, but a privilege.  It seems like you want to reward those who who entered the country unlawfully, by giving them a privilege reserved for people who are in the country legally.  Does rewarding someone who is behaving in a non-desirable way, reduce that behavior, or does it increase that behavior?  Won't giving driver's licenses to those who broke the rules when they came into the country, only encourage others to do the same?
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -  

Where we disagree is that I believe that driving is not a right, but a privilege.
    Hello again, just:

You just can't anoint driving to be a privilege and then make moral pronouncements about it as though EVERYBODY agreed with you...

excon
    jack said:

Where we disagree is that I believe that driving is not a right, but a privilege.
    Hello again, just:

You just can't anoint driving to be a privilege and then make moral pronouncements about it as though EVERYBODY agreed with you...

excon
    Didn't legislators who were elected by the people they represent make laws about who can drive and who can not already?  Now some legislators agree with you and in 14 states/districts people who entered the country illegally can drive.  
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited November 2023