frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Do anti-trans activists channel other social anxieties into transphobia?

13»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6101 Pts   -   edited January 9
    Dreamer said:
    This guide is 54 pages but thorough.

"While often assumed to be a biological
    classification, based on physical and
    genetic variation, racial categories do not
    have a scientific basis.7"

The essence of the approach in this document can be summarized by their suggestion to use term "undocumented immigrant" instead of "illegal immigrant" for the following reasons:
    “Illegal” is a dehumanizing, derogatory term used to describe a person who resides in a country without proper documentation. No human being is illegal.

“Undocumented” is a common and widely accepted term. Migrant rights literature also includes “informally authorized migrant,” a term that disrupts the idea that someone is missing or has failed to acquire proper documents (a discourse that individualizes the underlying issue), revealing that some migrants are actively denied resources (a structural issue).
    That is it in a nutshell: avoid using terms clearly describing the entity and, instead, make everything fuzzy and throw smoke bombs around so the language is gentle and meaningless. That allows you to write long essays saying absolutely nothing, publish them in papers that no one except for a small group of like-minded ideologues ever reads, and get paid for it.

See, saying that someone has done something illegal is "dehumanizing". When someone breaks the law, you cannot talk about the fact of them breaking the law - that is disrespectful! You can only talk about things that make them feel good about themselves.

May I suggest further improvement: "sexually non-conformist" in place of "rapist"? Telling someone that they have raped someone is far too offensive. You have to be understanding of the history of oppression sexually non-conformist people have faced.
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  

" If anything it is due to confirmation bias that white people perceive Black athletes as superior."

I already answered your question. There is other valid explanations for example basketball is cheap compared to hockey. If it really was athletic ability we would expect there to be much more Black hockey players than white.

If anything we need more affirmative action for Black hockey players. The reason for the racial disparity is simple hockey is expensive and basketball is cheap. Economic racial inequities means poverty dis proportionality affects Blacks and therefore only the cheaper option, basketball is available.

Furthermore, college is expensive and for the same reason Black people are forced into sports. Again, economic racial disparities. 
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -   edited January 10
    @Dreamer

Your explaination that hockey is expensive may explain why your stereotyping of blacks being poor makes it hard for them to play hockey.
    But everyone can afford basketball.  

If basketball is so cheap that everyone can afford to play it.  So why so few whites in the nba?

There is only 1 white corner in the nfl.  If white people have all the priveledge than would it not make sense there should be a disparity in the other direction?

Pointing out economic disparities is not stereotyping Black people. If a person was to claim all Black people were poor that would be stereotyping.

Any field that is cheap to enter will have a high level of competition. There are easier ways to make a living than basketball.

Nevertheless you do make a good point. That if white people have all this economic advantage they should be able to buy an advantage over lower income people.  Personal trainers, expensive gyms and equipment, and higher health due to racial health inequities. If your living in a fast food swamp in an overcrowded apartment with rats and cockroaches your more likely to have asthma and diabetes.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 876 Pts   -  
    No. @Dreamer
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

I agree that is not stereotyping.  But then neither is saying they are generally better at basketball as that is statistically true.

This must also mean youve accepted that african americans generally are better at basketball due to physical or cultural influences.

And now the can of worms is open because if you accept that then you must also at least admit those things can play into the disadvantaged inequities.

I personally just want to get rid of the collectivist grouping of race all together. I dont care about inequites among race, sex, ect unless there is a discriminatory policy in the way.
    @MichaelElpers

"Furthermore, college is expensive and for the same reason Black people are forced into sports." How is this claim not a stereotype and to say this is: "All black people are poor?" They're both broad based nonsense. 
    @Factfinder

First off I supply my view of stereotyping, Generally I think it has a pretty negative conotation it. 
    My view is if the stereotyping/generality has factual truth to it I dont have any issues with it as long as you arent using it to may substantial character judgements on an individual.
    If one defines stereotyping as using the generality to make judgements on an individual id agree that is wrong.  Generalities based on stats are just truthful observation.

My agreement was not with the statement you highlighted but with an acceptance that there are some economic disparities among races.

"But then neither is saying they are generally better at basketball as that is statistically true.

This must also mean youve accepted that african americans generally are better at basketball due to physical or cultural influences."

No, your missing the point. Black individuals aren't any better than white people at basketball. The best reason for the perceived differences is confirmation bias. People expect Black players to play better and therefore view them as superior despite evidence to the contrary.
    Okay thanks for explaining. @MichaelElpers

I was looking at both those statements as dreamer was explain the difference and I didn't see any. But I did see them as stand alone statements where you were coming from a contextual point of view.
    @Dreamer

"People expect Black players to play better and therefore view them as superior despite evidence to the contrary."

Whats the evidence to the contrary?  I already posed the stats for the NBA where the makeup is 70% african american.
    In the NFL there is only 1 single white corner in the entire NFL.  Is that just do to confirmation bias?

Also how do you think this stereotype came about if historically blacks were heavily discriminated against.  Originally they werent even allowed to participate in pro sportd in the U.S.
    When your explaination is a stereotypical confirmation bias how do you suppose a shift to an overwhelming majority of black players in NBA occured when the original bias was they cant compete?
    They are not better so how did they ever over the supposed main factor of bias?
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 999 Pts   -  
    Dreamer said:

"But then neither is saying they are generally better at basketball as that is statistically true.

This must also mean youve accepted that african americans generally are better at basketball due to physical or cultural influences."

No, your missing the point. Black individuals aren't any better than white people at basketball. The best reason for the perceived differences is confirmation bias. People expect Black players to play better and therefore view them as superior despite evidence to the contrary.
    Actually there is research that backs up that  Black people have higher muscle density and better fast twitch reflexes which help them in basketball.  

See: 

Effects of ethnicity on the relationship between vertical jump and maximal power on a cycle ergometer

Earlier extensive studies in exercise physiology showed that ethnicity had an impact on power performance in jumping. All of these studies found that Afro-Carribean males (Rouis et al., 2015; Zajac et al., 2000), young boys (Babel et al., 2005; Ben Ayed et al., 2011; Ghesquière and Eeckels, 1984; Malina, 1988), and adolescents (Burfoot, 1992) jumped higher than their white counterparts. In addition, a greater ability of Afro-Carribean participants has been extended more generally to locomotor skills in preschool children, for activities such as running, hopping, leaping or sliding (Goodway et al., 2010). These results have been explained mainly by constitutional differences between ethnic populations, such as differences in terms of body composition (Wagner and Heyward, 2007), muscle-tendon properties (McCarthy et al., 2006) and muscle fiber types (Bouchard et al., 1986).
    @Dreamer, just know I hate pointing this out because I know @Bogan will misuse the information to make race intelligence claims.  

Further, Kenyans have longer legs and strides, so they disproportionately win the Boston Marathon.  

The reason the NBA has about 72 percent Black players isn't about the expense of basketball or its popularity among inner city kids.  Such thinking is naïve.  Pro Basketball picks only the best of the best.  There are lots of white college basketball players who don't make it.  

If you think this some kind of white supremacy thing - ask ChatGPT this question "Do Black people have higher muscle density and better fast twitch reflexes".  It will apologize for being insensitive, but tell you the same thing I just did.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 542 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin @Dreamer @MichaelElpers Actually there is research that backs up that  Black people have higher muscle density and better fast twitch reflexes which help them in basketball.
    Actually your lieing through your teeth again and trying to deceive others by taking things out of context. because the article says

Pmax of Afro-Caribbean participants was lower than that of their Caucasian counterparts.

Ill be glad when they kick you off this site just like Dee for your persistent dishonesty. No limit to it is there Lier Boy?

Dreamer
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6101 Pts   -   edited January 11
    I am not sure why people have such difficulty admitting that groups of people may have statistical biological differences in many cases. Nobody seems troubled by the apparent fact that men on average are much stronger physically than women - but if someone suggests that black people on average run faster than white people, or that white people on average make more money than black people, then it is somehow problematic. It is natural for groups of people evolving for millennia in different environments to end up different. North Koreans on average are shorter than South Koreans: these differences do not take very long to develop when the conditions are extremely different.

There is a huge difference, however, between saying "Group X has statistical superiority in aspect A over group Y", and "Every member of group X is less worthy than any member of group Y". The former is acceptance of an observed statistical fact; the latter is an illogical statement based on overgeneralization of a factual trend. It is not racist to say that black people are statistically better basketball players than white people; it is racist to say that it makes black people superior to white people. There is still a distribution within each group, and furthermore, we are talking about a very narrow aspect of a human being. Suggesting that black people are superior to white people because they are statistically better basketball players would be unreasonable.

I have no trouble admitting that, on average, Chinese people are better mathematicians than people from my ethnic group. They absolutely are. It would be preposterous, however, to suggest that I should abandon doing mathematics and leave it to "my betters" just because my group's distribution is less favorable than that group's. I am an individual, and it does not matter what group I belong to when we talk about my worth and my ability. I am still a better mathematician than 99.99% Chinese people, I suspect, so...

If suddenly a new basketball star arises and crushes all competition, it will make no difference what race the star is. However, if you were to place a flat bet on what race the next basketball star will be, you know what you should bet.
    Barnardot said:
    @just_sayin @Dreamer @MichaelElpers Actually there is research that backs up that  Black people have higher muscle density and better fast twitch reflexes which help them in basketball.
    Actually your lieing through your teeth again and trying to deceive others by taking things out of context. because the article says

Pmax of Afro-Caribbean participants was lower than that of their Caucasian counterparts.

Ill be glad when they kick you off this site just like Dee for your persistent dishonesty. No limit to it is there Lier Boy?

You are the deceiver here @Barnardot, or your reading comprehension is low.  There were 2 studies that found the results you quoted from, that much is true: 

However, it is interesting to note that whereas all studies showed higher vertical jump performance for Afro-Caribbean participants compared with Caucasians (Ben Ayed et al., 2011; Burfoot, 1992; Zajac et al., 2000), divergent results were obtained for maximal power. Considering Pmax, the results of the present study are consistent with those obtained in the study of Zajac et al. (2000). In this latter study, the Afro-Caribbean group’s performance in Pmax was 6.1% higher than that of the Caucasian group. In contrast, in the studies of Ben Ayed et al. (2011) and Rouis et al. (2015), Pmax of Afro-Caribbean participants was lower than that of their Caucasian counterparts. Moreover, the study of Burfoot (1992) found no ethnic difference in Pmax. These divergent results concerning the impact of ethnicity on Pmax might be interpreted as arising from a difference in the practice of cycling. However, the results obtained in the present study did not confirm this assumption as no effect of practice was observed over three sessions. 

The conclusion of the study says:

In conclusion, the results of the present study showed that, for a given value of Pmax, the Afro-Caribbean participants jumped higher than the Caucasians. 

Why did you try to deceive people?  You behaved like a chicken plucker trying to hide his illegal laborers from ICE.  
  • BarnardotBarnardot 542 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin ;Why did you try to deceive people? 

No you dyke head...I baited you.

You didnt like that bit that I quoted out of context did you?

No you didnt and it certainly got you up in a lather and you hated it didnt you?

Now multiply that out of context peace a hundred times and you might get some idea of how much liked you are on this site.

Barnardot said:
    @just_sayin ;Why did you try to deceive people? 

No you dyke head...I baited you.

You didnt like that bit that I quoted out of context did you?

No you didnt and it certainly got you up in a lather and you hated it didnt you?

Now multiply that out of context peace a hundred times and you might get some idea of how much liked you are on this site.

A brief observation -  I didn't misquote my source.  It said what I claimed it said.  I am always happy to provide links to any source I cite, and have done so for you many times, and I will gladly continue to do so.