frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are solar panels white privilege?

Debate Information

California has stopped subsidizing solar panels, after years and years of government subsidies.  As a result solar panel construction has plummeted, not just in the state, but is struggling throughout the US.  California claims that because the cost of solar panels was so great, that only rich people were taking advantage of the government funding, and it left poor people to be the only ones paying the electric bills of the state - and those electric bills have skyrocketed, with another 13% increase in the month of January 2024 alone.  

Are solar panels white privilege?  Where did California go wrong?  Was it in giving into the extreme demands of the climate cult, and using government funds to pay rich people to have solar panels installed on their homes?  Or was it failing to recognize that the technology was not ready for mass distribution and therefore poor people could not afford it?  What are your thoughts?

Below is a picture of solar powered homeless tents in Berkeley California (you might think I'm joking, but I'm not):

Factfinder

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin

My travel trailer is wired so I can use suit case solar panels but I don't use them. If it's hot, they don't produce the juice it takes to run the idybidy air conditioner. It's good for smaller electronics but even in camper situations the best they do is recharge the battery when you're off somewhere and not hanging out at the campsite. I just plug into the power the campsites provide when they provide them. 
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin

My travel trailer is wired so I can use suit case solar panels but I don't use them. If it's hot, they don't produce the juice it takes to run the idybidy air conditioner. It's good for smaller electronics but even in camper situations the best they do is recharge the battery when you're off somewhere and not hanging out at the campsite. I just plug into the power the campsites provide when they provide them. 
    When I looked into solar panels it would have taken me 30 years to break even.  Who lives in a home that long anymore?  The cost is too much at this time.  I believe that in time the costs will come down and this technology will make sense.

So do you think solar panels are white privilege as California has claimed?  And how do you think our resident leftists will come down on this issue?  Will they support the rich solar panel owners who are trying to save the planet or will they stand in solidarity with the poor who can't afford the climate extremists' solar panels?
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -   edited January 15
    @just_sayin

No I do not. But to be honest I never considered it in any home I've owned. Just my travel trailer and you know where I'm at with that. I think the solar panel reimbursement was just another expensive project meant to appease extremist and maintain their fringe left voter base we have in California. Now that it's lost legs they have to blame it on something, I mean admit they're wrong from the start? Come on. o:) 
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -   edited January 15
    @just_sayin

No I do not. But to be honest I never considered it in any home I've owned. Just my travel trailer and you know where I'm at with that. I think the solar panel reimbursement was just another expensive project meant to appease extremist and maintain their fringe left voter base we have in California. Now that it's lost legs they have to blame it on something, I mean admit they're wrong from the start? Come on. o:) 
    You are so right.  They'll just blame conservatives instead.  B)
  • all4acttall4actt 315 Pts   -  
    First Gavin Newsom is always justifying everything he does with it ending with either pitting the rich against the poor or b/c it is racist in nature or both.  

The truth is that the state is broke and he needs to cut the budget.  It is also the truth that a lot of poorer people did not qualify b/c you could only qualify if one you owned your home and two if your electric bill was above I think it was $220 on average month over a period of a year (when eletric bills were much lower) at the time of the program.  

Now at the time if you did not meet both of these you would be rejected.

Truth be told a good majority of home owners did not meet these qualifications b/c their homes were either mostly gas or too small to have a electric bill that high.

Then there is the fact that a lot of middle class to poor can not afford to own a home here unless they work from home or do not care whether or not they live in a safe area.

Nobody needs to worry about the poor footing the bill, especially the ones in the tents.  If they are considered poor they probably pay little to none of the taxes that they drew those funds from anyways.

As it always seems to be the only true victims were the working middle class.
    just_sayin
    all4actt said:
    First Gavin Newsom is always justifying everything he does with it ending with either pitting the rich against the poor or b/c it is racist in nature or both.  

The truth is that the state is broke and he needs to cut the budget.  It is also the truth that a lot of poorer people did not qualify b/c you could only qualify if one you owned your home and two if your electric bill was above I think it was $220 on average month over a period of a year (when eletric bills were much lower) at the time of the program.  

Now at the time if you did not meet both of these you would be rejected.

Truth be told a good majority of home owners did not meet these qualifications b/c their homes were either mostly gas or too small to have a electric bill that high.

Then there is the fact that a lot of middle class to poor can not afford to own a home here unless they work from home or do not care whether or not they live in a safe area.

Nobody needs to worry about the poor footing the bill, especially the ones in the tents.  If they are considered poor they probably pay little to none of the taxes that they drew those funds from anyways.

As it always seems to be the only true victims were the working middle class.
    Wow, that was very informative.

The students at Berkeley installed the solar panels for homeless encampment.  

You got me wondering how California's EV grant program is doing now.  I wonder if they will cancel it cause only the rich are buying EV cars too.  
    Factfinder
    Argument Topic: 2/3rds of California's Solar Companies are in financial danger

About two-thirds of home solar installers in California are struggling to generate enough sales to operate their businesses after the state slashed incentives for customers to buy rooftop panels, a trade group said.

The California Solar & Storage Association found that 63% of its roughly 400 members reported significant cash flow issues, Bernadette Del Chiaro, executive director of the group, said Wednesday at the Intersolar North America conference in San Diego. Approximately 25 to 30 solar companies have either left the state or closed their business, Del Chiaro said.

“We are worried about the next two months,” she said. “We think a lot more fallout may be coming.”

Across the country, residential solar companies have struggled with slumping sales as higher interest rates make rooftop panels more expensive. In California, the biggest US solar market, the problems are more acute after a change in regulations that scaled back the amount of money homeowners earn when they sell excess electricity to the grid. Installers are cutting jobs in the state, and bankruptcies have been mounting.

Research firm Ohm Analytics, which tracks the solar marketplace, found sales dropping 67% to 85% for California’s private residential installers since the change went into effect in April. - 

About Two-Thirds of California Solar Firms Have a Cash Problem

The problem with government picking winners and losers is that companies become dependent upon government handouts and they didn't have a business plan in place where they could be viable without government handouts.
    Factfinder
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    @just_sayin

True. It doesn't help libs jumped the gun on solar power before we could perfect a way to harness solar energy just to appease special interest while neglecting the people. Again LOL