frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does Time Really Exist?

Debate Information

AllSync Plus Wired Analog Wall Clocks  American Time
  • The Block Universe Theory suggests that past, present, and future exist simultaneously, like a four-dimensional block. There would be no objective flow of time in this view.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    When we look into the night sky and realize half the stars we can see no longer exist, yeah it sure seems like time is absent. But then we observe the effects of our biological clocks and we know time exist. Even if it is just a temporal way of measuring the effects of physical change, them changes are coming. 
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    When we look into the night sky and realize half the stars we can see no longer exist, yeah it sure seems like time is absent. But then we observe the effects of our biological clocks and we know time exist. Even if it is just a temporal way of measuring the effects of physical change, them changes are coming. 
    Not that long ago I had the A vs B theory of time argument with John C.  If we are talking about God's perception of time then B makes sense - God created space-time and stands outside of it and therefore all points of time are accessible to Him, so eterernalism makes sense.  But I don't think a B theory of time, where all moments of time exist simultaneously, makes sense for us.  Our future is not written yet.  It will come into being and it will then be our present and then disappear into our past.  It makes no sense to talk of cause and effect in a B theory of time.  To access points in time out of logical order would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.  We live our lives based on an A theory of time where the present exists now, and the past has ceased to exist but we remember it, and the future is yet to be written.  We couldn't live our lives otherwise.  

• Time is the second natural way of finding the circumference of the circle. The idea of past, future, and current time are part of the conservation of energy as energy cannot be created or destroyed. Energy, mass, matter, occurrence is the framework that holds our past, present, and future. The 1st natural way to find a circumference of a circle is through a magnetic energy that exists on a shere like object.

The law of conservation of energy is a physical law. that states energy cannot be created or destroyed but may be changed from one form to another. Another way of stating this law of chemistry is to say the total energy of an isolated system remains constant or is conserved within a given frame of reference.

The Law of Conservation of Energy Defined (thoughtco.com)

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold I know that time really does exist in realty because for example a good example is that when I last had a dump it was yesterday and I can definitely remember it because I was listening to the news on WCBS in the background. And today I havent bean yet but I can feel it brewing up in side so it means that time must of gone forward since my dump yesterday so there fore time has got to exist.
  • @Barnardot
    I know time exists because I took a dump in Indiana at 4:33 pm then while in Chicogo and took another dump even bigger at 4:20 pm the same day.
    Factfinder
    @John_C_87 ;I know time exists because I took a dump in Indiana at 4:33 pm then while in Chicogo and took another dump even bigger at 4:20 pm the same day

Well its just as well you didnt take the first dump any earlier because then you would end up taking 2 dumps at the same time. And in different places. And theres where we start getting in to quantum physics.

• John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited January 21
    @Barnardot

Well its just as well you didnt take the first dump any earlier because then you would end up taking 2 dumps at the same time. And in different places. And theres where we start getting in to quantum physics.

Easy enough, next time I will hold my second bowle movement till 4:33 pm maybe I should go for three dumps at 4:33 pm then I get get a shirt made Dr. Poo...

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
  • OhnoesOhnoes 8 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: TIme does not exist

things move at diffrent pace
    time was made up
    @Ohnoes ;things move at diffrent pace
    time was made up

Well your right in a way that time was maid up but so was length and temperature maid up because we need a reference point to measure what is and what is going on and what did go on and what we think will go on. But make no mistake that those things happen and you even admitted that things move at different paces so we except that it happens but we’re got to measure it in a way that we’re talking the same language.

There are many cultures like the Inuit for example that don’t measure the past but the future is in the present so go rap your brain cells a round that.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I do not really understand this kind of argument. How does one possible representation of time implies that it does not exist? Yes, from the physics standpoint you can represent time in a variety of ways and talk about various time points without specifying them as "past", "present" and "future" - but that does not imply that we as conscious observers are not forced into a specifically directed time flow. Furthermore, there are physical effects that are time-asymmetric: for example, so-called CP-violation (that has been experimentally demonstrated) suggests that inverting time does not lead to all processes just happening backwards, but leads to some processes changing. Another example is the elephant in the room: entropy (things are much more likely to break down when colliding with a wall if the time flows forward rather than backward, et cetera).

It certainly is not clear why we experience time the way we do, although there is a somewhat compelling entropy-based argument the conclusion of which is that, for us to experience anything, there must be a directed time flow (but it is not clear why we can experience something: it is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for consciousness). But denying existence of time seems to be a futile endeavor.
    Factfinder
  • John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited January 25

Math, science, and physics treat duration as time, and duration does exist everywhere all at once that is what makes it an argument for interpretation and speculation.

• RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ; Time is a created entity for Elohim's purposes as are Days, Weeks, Years, Seasons, but these are temporary and for a specific eschatological purpose and they will be done away with as will the Heavens and this Earth subsequent the Millennial Reign of Messiah Jesus and the Judgment of the Condemned.

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -   edited January 27
    Argument Topic: Stop

@RickeyHoltsclaw
    I'd appreciate you not commenting and trolling my debates.  Your propaganda is not welcome. 

This is your only warning.   If you continue, I will have you banned by aarong.  Like RickeyD, Nomenclature, and Dee.
    RickeyHoltsclaw
    @JulesKorngold ; My rebuttal, in no way, was trolling...according to the Scriptures...Time is a created entity and it is temporary...it will not last.

The New Heaven and the New Earth

21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place[a] of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people,[b] and God himself will be with them as their God.[c] 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. 7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”  Revelation 21

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw
    Are you ok?
    @RickeyHoltsclaw
    Are you ok?

@JulesKorngold ;  ABSOLUTELY BLESSED to know Jesus as my Messiah and the Holy Spirit as my forever Companion and the Father who loves me. How about you?

@JulesKorngold ; Time, as we experience it on Earth, is a created, temporary, entity that is accompanied by physics and Time flows linearly to a foreordained eschatological conclusion concerning restoration of holiness and peace in the Eternal Kingdom within the Realm of the Eternal where there is no "Time" as we know it nor is there decay or atrophy as a result of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics...a form of clockwork that counts down to the conclusion of "life" as we know it. 

• John_C_87John_C_87 Emerald Premium Member 865 Pts   -   edited February 21

As I been spending more time taking apart General Relativity and correcting tensors and Pi to tranform theory into a law of mathematics. When starting a debate with a physicist it can be said that time is the mathematical discovery of stillness in the universe. Just how many ways are there to locate stillness in the Univers?

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    John_C_87 said:

As I been spending more time taking apart General Relativity and correcting tensors and Pi to tranfprm theory into a law of mathematics. When starting a debate with a physicist it can be said that time is the mathematical discovery of stillness in the universe. Just how many ways are there to locate stillness in the Univers?

People who try to desecrate the constitution need to do hard time.  LOL
    John_C_87
  • @just_sayin

People who try to desecrate the constitution need to do hard time.  LOL

I'm just going to go with the givem me just_sayin and tell you it means nothing, neither GOD nor Jesus are in a timeless place.