frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

How Many Genders Are There?

Debate Information

How Many Genders are There Anyway  by Daniel Goldman  The Spiritual  Anthropologists  Medium
There used to be only 2.  According to upliftphilly.org, there are now an infinite number of genders.
RickeyHoltsclaw

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PutinPutin 106 Pts   -  
    There are three: Man, woman, and American.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I identify as a genderless, raceless and species-less creature. I am the first truly ascended being in this Galaxy. Bow before me, simpletons!
    just_sayin
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya!
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;I identify as a genderless, raceless and species-less creature.

Well that explains it all then. Ill remember to type slower when I reply to your posts from now on.

@JulesKorngold Well the thing is that we have all ways had variances in the genders as sure as there is differences in any thing biological. It is the nature of life.
    Its just that some people start getting judgemental by putting others in pigeon holes. Like derr any one who is not like me is abnormal and not right so he or she belongs to that group that I just made up a name for.

So nothing has changed really except peoples attitudes and labelling.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -  

Jules said:

Hello Jules:

I dunno.  In a free country, how many genders are allowed??  I'd say, close to 350 million or so..  Personally, I could care less, but there's a faction of society who BELIEVE what's in someones pants is THEIR business..

excon

Openminded
    @jack ;but there's a faction of society who BELIEVE what's in someones pants is THEIR business..

Well it’s my business when I get in to my partner s pants

But hope fully she won’t catch me wearing them
  • Regrettably, scientific facts remain indifferent to personal sentiments. The biological reality is that there are two distinct genders—males with XY chromosomes and females with XX chromosomes. This fundamental truth is immutable, and individual perspectives cannot alter it.
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ; There are Two-Genders.

• just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    jack said:

Jules said:

Hello Jules:

I dunno.  In a free country, how many genders are allowed??  I'd say, close to 350 million or so..  Personally, I could care less, but there's a faction of society who BELIEVE what's in someones pants is THEIR business..

excon

It seems to me jack that you are ignoring how this impacts everyone else.  For example, many office policies would compel me to lie and say someone is a gender that they are not really.  My free speech and religious freedoms are violated when I am compelled to lie and use pronouns or claim someone is a different gender than what they biologically are.  Further, many people like you would force medical books to lie and say that men can have babies and then force doctors to learn and repeat these lies.  Its not that you are content to lie to yourself, Jack, its that you insist everyone else must lie to protect you from the lie you told yourself.  This seems incredibly unjust and selfish of you, not to mention the violation of other's rights.
    Factfinder
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    The fact that there are only two genders is as imputable as The Law of Gravity.        That we live in a world where there are still people who prefer to ignore self evident reality, in order to believe in a supposedly world saving ideology, shows just how much religious magical thinking can overcome the rational mind.  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited January 28
    jack said:

Hello Jules:

excon

The question is how many genders there are, not how many genders one is allowed to believe there are. You are allowed to believe whatever you want in a free country. Feel free to believe that 2+2=5. The reality though is that 2+2=4. You are free to disagree with that, but you will be wrong.

It is strange that calling someone out on making an objectively false statement is considered insensitive... Back when I was a kid, it was called "education". And yes, education can be insensitive to your ridiculous beliefs: if you believe that the Earth is flat, then in the physics class you are up for some unpleasant claims. Too bad.
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited January 29
    Barnardot said:
    @jack ;but there's a faction of society who BELIEVE what's in someones pants is THEIR business..

Well it’s my business when I get in to my partner s pants

Hello B:

I'm not talking about YOU personally..  I'm talking about the du*de down the street, who thinks what's in YOUR pants is HIS business..   We even have some of 'em right here, on these pages..

You knew that, right??

excon

• jackjack 458 Pts   -  

Regrettably, scientific facts remain indifferent to personal sentiments. The biological reality is that there are two distinct genders—males with XY chromosomes and females with XX chromosomes. This fundamental truth is immutable, and individual perspectives cannot alter it.
    Hello n:

Scientifically, you're correct..  However, as long as a person doesn't require you to agree, in a free country, who's to say that he can't declare himself to be a fire hydrant??  

When people are FREE, they'll do a lot of things you don't like.  SO?

excon

• jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited January 29

just_sayin said:

It seems to me jack that you are ignoring how this impacts everyone else.

Further, many people like you would force medical books to lie...
    Hello again, just:

Please re-read my post..  I said that if a person DIDN'T require anyone to agree with him, he can call himself a fire hydrant if he so chooses...  That's what freedom is about.  

For example, if the driver of the bus you're on, thinks he's a fire hydrant, as long as he ACTS like a bus driver, and doesn't demand that you to agree with him, WHO cares what he thinks?  You're not impacted by him.  His office is not impacted by him.  The riders of the bus aren't impacted.  Medical books aren't impacted.   In fact, NOBODY is impacted by his declaration. 

Truly, when people are free, they'll do things you don't like.  Deal with it.  Besides, I thought right wingers LOVED freedom..  No, huh? 

excon

Openminded
  • jackjack 458 Pts   -   edited January 30
    MayCaesar said:

I identify as a genderless,
    Hello May:

I identify as a fire hydrant..  If YOU'RE correct, then I'M correct.  No?

excon

• FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    jack said:

Jules said:

Hello Jules:

excon

Except that liberals like to stick their noses in little kids pants. there is that little caveat jack. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    jack said:
    MayCaesar said:

I identify as a genderless,
    Hello May:

I identify as a fire hydrant..  If YOU'RE correct, then I'M correct.  No?

excon

I think you missed the joke in my comment... I would say that if you believe that you are a fire hydrant and do not just say it in some metaphorical sense, then you better contact the local fire department and let them know that you are available. ;)
  • GrooufGroouf 7 Pts   -  
    It seems that everyone agrees that people can identify as what they want as long as they dont oblige others to believe it ? I tend to agree but would like to note :
    - today transgender people want to force others to accept their believed identity (sports competitions, public bathrooms...)
    - should we let anyone think what they think because of freedom ? What about people who think they are worthless ? What about anorexic people who think they are fat ? what about people who want to die ? Letting them think that could be considered a failure to assist a person in danger
    @Bogan ;The fact that there are only two genders is as imputable as The Law of Gravity.   

Well obviously you just dont get out enough because the last time my friend and me went to La Groove there were more genders there than you could pock a stick at.

@Groouf ;today transgender people want to force others to accept their believed identity (sports competitions, public bathrooms...)

Well if homos and queers and bis and trans have to force as you say others to accept them then may be there is a reason. Like for example they have been prosecuted and shamed and had the crap beeten out of them for generations and may be they think well may be we'll show those straits that we are just the same people as them but we have to use a bit of force. Thats the way of the world. You have to have lobby groups to get a point across and look whats happened. Weather we like it or not the law of the land accepts the queers and homos and trans as being equal to all people. And the thing is that people who dont like it it is simply tough titties for them because they are the minority now.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited January 31
    Groouf said:
    It seems that everyone agrees that people can identify as what they want as long as they dont oblige others to believe it ? I tend to agree but would like to note :
    - today transgender people want to force others to accept their believed identity (sports competitions, public bathrooms...)
    - should we let anyone think what they think because of freedom ? What about people who think they are worthless ? What about anorexic people who think they are fat ? what about people who want to die ? Letting them think that could be considered a failure to assist a person in danger
    That is the crux of it. People, of course, can believe whatever they want - but their beliefs can consequences. If someone believes that they are a transformer needing to drink ethanol to survive, then he is going to drink himself to death quickly. Saying, "You are wrong, and you should get help", is an expression of compassion, not condemnation.

Granted, it is not clear at which point unsolicited advice/criticism becomes warranted. If someone is a chronic alcoholic, it is worth pointing it out. But if someone only has a couple of drinks a week, is it okay to say, "Buddy, you should not drink at all if you want to be healthy", or is it too much of an intrusion in private life?

My policy generally is, I leave strangers alone, but if someone head on asks me what I think about someone's belief, I will be honest in my response - and when it comes to people important to me, I can be quite a bit more proactive. If my mother suddenly gets hooked on heroin, you bet I will not just stand by and say, "Her body, her choice". But if it is some homeless guy shooting heroin on the streets of Philly... Then it is none of my business.
    Groouf