frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is There Such a Thing As 120%

Debate Information

We were having this debate at work today and there was no resolution because some people say that 100 out of a hundred is as far as you can go but on the other hand what happens if you go further. Is it possible to get more than 100%.

My in put is that it is a bit like a full cup. Once its full that's it and there is no such thing as fuller.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FactfinderFactfinder 774 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

Yes, it's possible to go over 100%. In returns that is. Like if all you have is 100 bucks and you invest it some good weed for 100 bucks, then turn around and sell it for 220 bucks, you've made 120% profit. Err, I heard it can go that way. B) Anyways 120% exists!
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Yup. The highest inflation rate in Weimar Republic was on October 1983, reaching approximately 354,000% (annually). It was cooler in Zimbabwe, reaching nearly a trillion percent (1,000,000,000,000%) in mid-November 2008. In North Korea in 2009, depending on how you count, the inflation rate was up to infinity %, as the currency was inflated by a factor of 100 in a single moment.

Percentage can also be negative. If you take a buy stance JPY/USD at $1,000 with the margin of 250 and the broker fee of $10, and the next day the exchange rate plummets by 0.001, then your profit will be -$749.99, or roughly -75%.

I suppose percentage can also technically be complex-valued, although I am not aware of any examples of them being treated as such in practice, and it would kind of run against the purpose of percentages. Percentages are supposed to show how a fraction of a value compares to the value itself - but it makes no sense to compare complex-valued numbers like this. What is bigger, 1 or i? The question is not sensible, and it, in fact, can be proven that complex numbers cannot be ordered (and the proof is not terribly difficult).
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;Yup. The highest inflation rate in Weimar Republic was on October 1983, reaching approximately 354,000% (annually).

Well to my mind it still defies logic how you can get 354000 out of a hundred. And what's more puzzling is that the Krauts went 50 years in to the future to get such an inflation rate which is what I would call cheating. It sounds just as unbelievable as getting a laptop for zero dollars and it doesnt end up costing you more.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

Ah, you are that laptop guy? I remember warning you about the upcoming PTSD... Should have heeded it.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;Ah, you are that laptop guy? I remember warning you about the upcoming PTSD... Should have heeded it.

I headed it all right and I take all the right drugs no problem.