frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why did Jesus ask the Father if the Cross of suffering was necessary for Him to endure?

Debate Information

My God, My God, why has thou forsake me? Matthew 27:46 - Psalm 22:1

saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” Luke 22:42

Why did Jesus ask the Father if the suffering of the Cross was necessary for Him to endure?

Discussion,

When interpreting Jesus' words throughout His Earthly ministry, it is very important to differentiate between Jesus speaking from His hypostasis (divine union of Deity & Flesh) and Jesus' words spoken exclusively from His Deity (Philippians 2:5-11). Jesus' primary reason for entering the Realm of Time was "to destroy the works of the Devil" (1 John 3:8b) as per Genesis 3:15 and the battle strategy He was foreordained to employ is the Gospel of Grace, a Gospel that was ordained "before Time began" (2 Timothy 1:8-10), a battle strategy that Elohim demonstrated for us in Genesis 3:21; this, immediately subsequent the fall of humanity.

Jesus modeled for us, in His humanity, proper protocol concerning relationship with the Father, one of trust and obedience. Jesus honored a delineation of authority in the Godhead and Jesus modeled obedience to the Father in all things even though Jesus possessed a separate will (Luke 22:42), a separate will primarily influenced via the hypostatic union, a will integral with the flesh (Philippians 2:5-11). The unfathomable role that Jesus was to fulfill as the "Spotless Lamb of Elohim" "who takes away the sins of the World" (John 1:29; 1 Peter 1:18-19; Matthew 26:26-29) was not only physiologically devastating as He would be scourged-beaten beyond recognition by the Roman authorities and almost bleed to death via lacerations - trauma as prophesied in Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22, but Jesus would receive spikes through His hands, a spike through His feet, hung on a tree until He suffocated to death; this, while struggling to push Himself upwards against the gravity working to collapse his lung cavity; this physiological suffering, which was only surpassed by the spiritual separation from the Father, was something Jesus had never experienced in His eternal relationship with the Father; this, as your sin and my sin was placed upon Him, sin that Jesus had never experienced in His Deity; therefore, in His humanity Jesus asked the Father if there was any alternative to what was foreordained for Him to suffer; in response to the overwhelming stress, Jesus literally sweat drops of blood in His anxiety (Luke 22:44 - Hematohidrosis) yet Jesus honored the Father's will and complied with the eschatological mandates of the Cross in order to “destroy the works of the Devil” i.e., death-Hell-the grave; this, for all who would believe that Jesus is the Messiah who died for them (John 3; 1 John 3:8b).

Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are eschatological imperatives concerning the restoration of peace, holiness, order, to the Kingdom ravaged by a coup d'état initiated by a rebellious cherub and the spiritual war that ensued having been relegated to this Earth, a spiritual war partially constrained by Time and physics that was foreordained to be won by the Messiah as per Genesis 3:15; this, in addition to all that has transpired over the previous 6000-years of unfathomable horror within the Realm of Time, these eschatological imperatives will ultimately be a bulwark against future rebellion in the Kingdom, the New Jerusalem, where free will remains extant by necessity.
You and I are active participants in this spiritual war that rages on around us and through us 24/7/365 (Ephesians 6) and we are relegated to two-choices concerning our loyalty and servitude in our Earthly lives constrained by Time and physics...do we honor Jesus as Messiah as He endeavors to right the wrong committed in the Kingdom before the Creation narrative or do we ally with the nemesis of Jesus through unbelief? Our eternal destiny is wholly contingent upon whom we choose to ally with and serve within the Realm of Time.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments