frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Omicron the deadliest variant?

Debate Information

I think Omicron is the deadliest variant because it is so much more contagious than previous.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JoesephJoeseph 698 Pts   -  
    How many has it killed?
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    The omicron is just as deadly per infection as previous waves, but much more infectious. Its just we have more people with at least one vaccine shot then the previous variants and ancestral version. More importantly the most vulnerable have already died from previous waves and omicron still has killed over 110,000 people.

• FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -   edited March 25
    Dreamer said:
    The omicron is just as deadly per infection as previous waves, but much more infectious. Its just we have more people with at least one vaccine shot then the previous variants and ancestral version. More importantly the most vulnerable have already died from previous waves and omicron still has killed over 110,000 people.

Seriously? People die of the flu every year. The hysteria behind covid hurt struggling families. You posted this today and the information is at least two years old. Look where hysteria has brought you.  Hey, but at least you're in touch with reality; where as joey who said, "How many has it killed?" LOL when yes, it's a nasty virus but it really wasn't the sky is falling virus it was made out to be. 110,000 is cause for concern, not what we as a country went through though. And to think what China did to its citizens, it just wasn't worth it.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    I think that the deadliest virus is the idea that, once you have read a couple of magazine articles on something, you are an expert on it and can have an informed opinion.
  • JoesephJoeseph 698 Pts   -   edited March 25
    @Factfinder

ARGUMENT TOPIC: MY STALKER FACT DENIER CONTINUES STALKING THE GUY IS OBSESSED WITH ME .....CREEPY LOL.

Hey, but at least you're in touch with reality; where as joey who said, "How many has it killed?" 

You actually think Dreamer is in touch with reality ? Seriously? So how many has it killed ? How many ciggies a day does it take to kill someone ?  I often wonder how someone says " I cared for them " yet like a heroin dealer buys   ciggies for them, interesting..........hey maybe I can find a " deep insightful" quote in the Vampire Diaries apparently all answers are there.....LOL

Chalk another loss up for FactDenier ........yeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa.........
  • JoesephJoeseph 698 Pts   -  
    ARGUMENT TOPIC : DOOMSDAY PROPHET DREAMER NEVER BELIEVES IN FACT CHECKING SEEMS TO BE MORE FUN MAKING IT UP AS SHE GOES ALONG........

There was ZERO  evidence COVID-19 Omicron XBB variant had a higher mortality rate, or was five times more ‘toxic,’ than Delta or other variants
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Omicron is about 3x more infectious.

"omicron is about 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the delta"

Sub-variants are even more infectious.

"as new variants crop up, they seem to be as contagious or even more contagious than the previous variants,” says Schaffner."

"According to the CDC, the continued growth of JN.1 suggests that the variant is either more transmissible or better at evading our immune systems."

I'd be much more worried about JN.1 most of the other sub-variants are basically extinct replaced by the dominant strain.

What worries me is post infection immunity begins to wane about 6 months from a severe infection. Meaning every year a person with w/o a perfect immune system even if fully boosted can get a severe infection giving them long covid. Weakening them for the next time they get infected.

Let's say year one the person gets lucky and evades. Then a more contagious sub-variant mutates and year two they are infected get long covid. Year three they get infected again hurting them with more long covid symptoms and become disabled. Finally, year four another even more contagious variant emerges and they get infected for a third time and die.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    Dreamer said:
    Omicron is about 3x more infectious.

"omicron is about 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the delta"

Sub-variants are even more infectious.

"as new variants crop up, they seem to be as contagious or even more contagious than the previous variants,” says Schaffner."

"According to the CDC, the continued growth of JN.1 suggests that the variant is either more transmissible or better at evading our immune systems."

I'd be much more worried about JN.1 most of the other sub-variants are basically extinct replaced by the dominant strain.

What worries me is post infection immunity begins to wane about 6 months from a severe infection. Meaning every year a person with w/o a perfect immune system even if fully boosted can get a severe infection giving them long covid. Weakening them for the next time they get infected.

Let's say year one the person gets lucky and evades. Then a more contagious sub-variant mutates and year two they are infected get long covid. Year three they get infected again hurting them with more long covid symptoms and become disabled. Finally, year four another even more contagious variant emerges and they get infected for a third time and die.
    From your source: However, JN.1 does not pose an increased public health risk compared to other variants in circulation, the CDC and WHO said.

I don't understand the alarm bells.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    Joeseph said:
    @Factfinder

ARGUMENT TOPIC: MY STALKER FACT DENIER CONTINUES STALKING THE GUY IS OBSESSED WITH ME .....CREEPY LOL.

Hey, but at least you're in touch with reality; where as joey who said, "How many has it killed?" 

You actually think Dreamer is in touch with reality ? Seriously? So how many has it killed ? How many ciggies a day does it take to kill someone ?  I often wonder how someone says " I cared for them " yet like a heroin dealer buys   ciggies for them, interesting..........hey maybe I can find a " deep insightful" quote in the Vampire Diaries apparently all answers are there.....LOL

Chalk another loss up for FactDenier ........yeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa.....

Comparative speaking (to you) she is in touch with reality. :)
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -   edited March 30
    The simplest answer is each dominant variant must be either more infectious or better at evading immune system then previous variants, otherwise it wouldn't be a dominant variant.

I don't mean to be alarmist, there is alarm fatigue. I just want people to get updated boosters, wear n95 masks, wash their hands, and stay calm and enjoy life.

Crying wolf is a legitimate concern, and I am sorry if I have done so.
  • JoesephJoeseph 698 Pts   -   edited March 30
    @Dreamer

ARGUMENT TOPIC : DREAMER SOUNDS LIKE THE PERMANENTLY WHINING MENTALLY DISTURBED GRETA THUNBERG.

People can enjoy life without people like you constantly dictating and moaning  that they shouldn't have a beer or a glass of wine or they need to wear a mask and get booster shots.

Covid is a thing of the past most have had it and most are fine, you are a panic merchant and you wallow in it.