frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should We Kill Ourselves?

Debate Information

This might shock some people but there are heaps of people out there that knock them selves off every day so we cant just kibosh the idea because it is very popular.

Obviously we need to be sensitive to people who take there lives as a cry for help because of there mental state and worse still there are those whos mental state is so bad that they think there is a Heaven and want to go there. Obviously these people need help and we should keep working on this moving forward and provide appropriate paths of turn key solutions.
But what about people with terminal diseases. Arent they entitled to take there lives without the insurance companies threatening not to pay out to there families?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 849 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Support

@Barnardot
    Yes.  You definitely should kill yourself.
    jack
  • ChewingTinFoilChewingTinFoil 33 Pts   -   edited May 15
    Argument Topic: This feels wrong to say but….

H
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6134 Pts   -   edited May 15
    Regarding insurance companies, what they must or must not do depends on what exactly they insure. It makes sense to insure things outside of the individual's control - for instance, getting a sudden cancer is not something the individual can reasonably predict. But insuring calamities that the individual has control over makes no sense... Imagine me insuring your healthy nutrition: the moment you consume something unhealthy, I have to pay you an amount. What do you do? Obviously, go ahead and eat a Snickers bar or something.

The way most insurance contracts work is that the insured calamity is not caused by the individual's intentional actions. If I insure your house from burning down, I do not promise to pay you the full price of your house in case you choose to burn it down yourself. Should you do that, we will enter a pretty quick litigation process - and you will lose, badly.

Similarly, if I insure you from sudden death, and then you jump off a train and die - most likely I will not owe anything to your family members. But, again, it depends on the contract. Perhaps my insurance agency accepts that some fraction of my customers is going to do that, and in exchange offers a much simpler contract, but higher premiums. As long as the expected value of my revenues is higher than my expected costs and as long as my risk levels are acceptable, I will make money in the long run.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 544 Pts   -   edited May 16
    @JulesKorngold ;Yes.  You definitely should kill yourself.

Well that is exactly the point that I am pointing out all though your point is a bit thin on detail. And a lot of people are sensitive about the subject. For example you could have got teezed a lot about wetting your bed and felt like ending it all. 

And that is not what we should be promoting. We should help these people to live productive lifes. The discussion we should be discussing is about doing your self in if you have a terminal illness for example. There should be no negative impact impacting families over insurance. 

And look at what soldiers have done committing suiside for there country. 

So we should not get all lily lived over euthanasia. If some one has decided to end his life for the right reasons then all his family and friends should rejoyce. 

For example you could start a business that does stunt work for terminally ill people. The pay would be high and the business would not have such high insurance premiums like all the usual Hollywood stunt businesses so you would get heaps of work and you would have nothing to lose per say.

So when the time comes when you fall off your horse trying to jump on a train then the hole thing will be in 4K video and your family can play it at your funeral in slo mo.

• BarnardotBarnardot 544 Pts   -  
    @ChewingTinFoil ;This feels wrong to say but….H
    Its not a matter of being right or wrong to say. Its more a matter of its just being totally stu pid to say that. Im sure that it might be all right to say that at your LaLa land Nits Club what ever its supposed to mean.

And dont get me wrong because Im not meaning to be having a go at you because in realty what your doing is showing up your true colors and we can all see right from the out set that you had bed wetting issues in your teen age years and we know how not to take any thing you say seriously because all your doing is using half of your brain because the other half has all the pain going on in it.

• BarnardotBarnardot 544 Pts   -   edited May 16
    @MayCaesar ;If I insure your house from burning down, I do not promise to pay you the full price of your house in case you choose to burn it down yourself. 

Yes I know where your coming from there. But remember that burning your house down is not on a par with killing your self because you have a terminal illness. Its not that a house can get a disease and slowly crumble in to the ground and your left in misery for years because its unbeerable to live there.

Theres got to be tight regulations and it all comes down to assisted exiting when after all things considered you want to leave this planet. And may be you know your family is going to get your dough sooner rather than later. But the main motivator is that you dont want to hang a round for so long being a biological blob strung out on fentanyl and your loved ones going through the agony of having to visit a tarded vegetable every day. So what Im saying is that insurance companies should allow for that because they have to since it is set in law.