frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Infinitesimality issues

Debate Information

Introduction

In mathematics, one encounters various notions of infinity. A particularly interesting one is that of an infinite set: essentially an unlimited collection of distinct objects. For example, the sequence of natural numbers 1, 2, 3, ... is infinite. The number of points on a straight line is also infinite. The number of ways to express 3 as a difference of two numbers is infinite (4 - 1, 5 - 2, 7.34 - 4.34...).

An issue arises when one considers the idea of randomly choosing one object from such a set. It is easy to understand what it means to randomly choose an object from a finite number of objects: for instance, if the die has six labeled sides, then we can throw the die and randomly get one of the 6 numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Since there is no reason for any of these numbers to be more likely to appear than any other one, we say that the probability of getting each of these numbers is 1/6, or 100%/6, or approximately 16.7%. 16.7% is a pretty reasonable probability, and intuitively we know that if we throw the die a few times, we are very likely to get the specific value at least once.

What does it mean, however, to randomly choose an object from infinity of objects? Let us consider the set of all possible novels one can write, from novels consisting of one letter, to novels consisting of trillions of pages... Now we choose one of these novels randomly. What exactly happens here? What is the methodology one can employ to go through the infinity of possible novels and randomly choose one of them? By definition of infinity, no practical algorithm will allow us to give each possible novel a chance to be selected within a finite amount of time. Can we then talk at all about random selection here?

The problem was recognized by mathematicians as early as in the 19th century. Since without possibility of random choice from infinite sets mathematics is extremely limited, various Axioms of Choice were proposed, the most commonly accepted one attributable to Zermelo. Essentially, these Axioms bypass the issue by stating that one can perform the random choice. However, many mathematicians are unhappy with this cope-out: something does not feel right about it intuitively. If something is impossible in practice, then does it make sense to declare it as possible, let alone accept it as the most fundamental assumption there is?

Application

At the first glance this might look like a funny example of mathematicians worrying about things that have no consequence on anyone's life. Yet it is not so. Many processes in this world demonstrably can have an infinity of possible outcomes, and in many cases the outcomes might as well be considered purely probabilistic for no level of technology will ever allow us to predict them. What will the temperature of my left pinky be tomorrow exactly at 4:45 pm? We know that it will be something, and we can put very hard constraints on it (unless I am dead or terminally ill, it will be somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees Celsius) - but we cannot say what it will be exactly, with 100% precision.

In Probability Theory, when a space of possible outcomes is infinite in a particular way, the probability of each specific outcome is 0%. Herein lies an obvious problem: if the probability of each outcome is 0%, then no outcome can occur. Yet one of the outcomes will have to occur.
In the real world, a state of the world at a given point in time can be one of the infinity of possible states - yet only one state will be materialized, and that state has a zero probability of materializing.

How does one resolve this obvious contradiction? The world clearly has a way of choosing one outcome of the infinity of individually "impossible" outcomes, otherwise we would not be here. It is possible that this choice takes place in some extremely abstract space that our limited minds cannot comprehend, and in that space the contradiction might not be present. Yet this possibility only puts a veil on the problem: no matter what happens on the background, the observable reality clearly produces "impossible" outcomes.

Proximity

Philosophers have long considered various notions of "proximity of worlds". Consider our world, and a different world. If the different world is almost exactly like our world, except, say, it has 5 less humans in it than ours, then intuitively the worlds are very similar. On the other hand, the different world can be a complete mess of randomly changing laws of physics and matter flying all over the place - that world is very different from ours. Intuitively, the worlds more similar to ours are "closer" to our world, and talking about them when conducting mental experiments makes more sense. An alternative history in which Adolf Hitler was accepted to the academy of arts and never wrecked havoc on humanity feels like something that could have happened had the cards been dealt differently. On the other hand, an alternative history in which the Earth suddenly turns into a giant onion and causes all the planets in the Solar system to cry does not feel like a possibility.

This makes the problem described before a little more tractable: we can say that while the set of possible outcomes is infinite, the set of realistically possible outcomes - those that are close to the actual outcomes that happened - has disproportionally high probability of being drawn from. The outcome that actually happened may, in fact, have had a non-zero probability of happening - or, at least, all outcomes within a sufficiently small distance (so small that a human would not be able to tell the difference between them) may have had collectively a non-zero probability of happening. This is more or less what many quantum physicists posit: that there is certain convergence of possible outcomes that produces an extremely stable world, even as individual micro-events are highly chaotic.

Yet I personally have never been happy with this "solution". Aside from the fact that nobody can exactly calculate that probability so as to demonstrate that it is not zero, we still have not dealt with the problem of there being no imaginable mechanism for actually making a random choice from infinity of possible outcomes. Even if one outcome had the 99.999% probability of happening, we would not be able to declare it as the "victor" without having given a chance to every other outcome, and their number is infinity, so...

I asked this question and outlined a similar reasoning on r/math reddit years ago, and the best answer I received was, "It is better to just do math and not worry about these philosophical things. Math demonstrably works well, so we are good". This is not a bad answer - it is perfectly reasonable to assume that there may be logical issues that we will never be able to solve, yet we will be able to function perfectly well without solving them - but as someone who likes to dig very deep and get to the bottom of every issue, it will never satisfy me.

Discussion

So what do we do about this mess? :pensive:

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• just_sayinjust_sayin 1126 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar
    Not sure I know where you are going with this one.  Are you talking about  Everettian (“Many-Worlds”) quantum mechanics.?
  • JoesephJoeseph 766 Pts   -  
    it is perfectly reasonable to assume that there may be logical issues that we will never be able to solve, yet we will be able to function perfectly well without solving them - but as someone who likes to dig very deep and get to the bottom of every issue, it will never satisfy me.

Very interesting. I wonder do you think that there may be a limit on man's intelligence that would somehow limit him/  her in solving deeply logical problems?

I'm delighted you as a man of science can never be satisfied as its an essential spur and drive to do ones best and I think I'm right in saying you are  throughly enjoying the ride.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6141 Pts   -  

Not specifically. Virtually any interpretation of quantum mechanics posits the inherently probabilistic nature of the Universe, and as soon as we start talking about probabilities of infinity of possible outcomes, the issues I am describing arise

I am more inclined to think that there may be elements of the structure of reality that are at odds with any intelligent being's everyday experiences, evading their intuition. It is not that our minds are somehow limited enough that certain properties of the Universe will always remain evasive, but it is that understanding them would require us to discard our intuition and significantly update the way we think about these things.

Contradictions to human intuition are very common in mathematics specifically: Banach-Tarski paradox https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach%E2%80%93Tarski_paradox is a good example of our most basic intuition failing miserably. We have the intuitive notion of "mass" - if we take a ball of metal and split it into two objects, then the sum of masses of those objects will have to add up to the mass of the original ball - yet the best way we have found to formalize this notion mathematically violates this basic property. Yet, at the same time, virtually everyone agrees that there is no alternative to mathematics when quantifying these things. This suggests that something in the structure of reality, or, perhaps, even in the structure of logic in general, is incompatible with the way we think currently.

Dialetheists suggest that there may be statements that are both true and false in any possible logical system. This does not make much sense to us today, but it might in the future when we find a better way to think about the world than operating on standard logic.
    FactfinderJoeseph
    MayCaesar said:

Not specifically. Virtually any interpretation of quantum mechanics posits the inherently probabilistic nature of the Universe, and as soon as we start talking about probabilities of infinity of possible outcomes, the issues I am describing arise

I am more inclined to think that there may be elements of the structure of reality that are at odds with any intelligent being's everyday experiences, evading their intuition. It is not that our minds are somehow limited enough that certain properties of the Universe will always remain evasive, but it is that understanding them would require us to discard our intuition and significantly update the way we think about these things.

Contradictions to human intuition are very common in mathematics specifically: Banach-Tarski paradox https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach%E2%80%93Tarski_paradox is a good example of our most basic intuition failing miserably. We have the intuitive notion of "mass" - if we take a ball of metal and split it into two objects, then the sum of masses of those objects will have to add up to the mass of the original ball - yet the best way we have found to formalize this notion mathematically violates this basic property. Yet, at the same time, virtually everyone agrees that there is no alternative to mathematics when quantifying these things. This suggests that something in the structure of reality, or, perhaps, even in the structure of logic in general, is incompatible with the way we think currently.

Dialetheists suggest that there may be statements that are both true and false in any possible logical system. This does not make much sense to us today, but it might in the future when we find a better way to think about the world than operating on standard logic.
    You know that the implications of the photon split screen wave function tests go off in lots of different directions.  Last week I read at least 5 articles about how the collapse of the wave function, so that the photon can be measured, may affect  the past.  In one article they were trying to create an experiment to see if the change could "propagate" (not a technical term) all the way back to the big bang.  

The reality of it all is that Schrodinger's cat is either alive or dead - it is never both.  Do the experiment an bazillion amount of times and it will always be one or the other.  While we can speculate about many worlds and realities, the fact is we experience only one.  
    @just_sayin

While we can speculate about many worlds and realities, the fact is we experience only one.  

Schrodingers cat is not part of any scientific theory , law or principle its an observation of how Observation does not affect outcome.

We? There is no objective reality all impressions of such are purely subjective.

You know that the implications of the photon split screen wave function tests go off in lots of different directions.  Last week I read at least 5 articles about how the collapse of the wave function, so that the photon can be measured, may affect  the past.  In one article they were trying to create an experiment to see if the change could "propagate" (not a technical term) all the way back to the big bang.  

The reality of it all is that Schrodinger's cat is either alive or dead - it is never both.  Do the experiment an bazillion amount of times and it will always be one or the other.  While we can speculate about many worlds and realities, the fact is we experience only one.  
    I do not think you are recognizing the issue in question. That the outcome is only one is obvious: we cannot live in two different worlds at once. The problem is that in case the space of outcomes is continuous and has probabilistic properties, the probability of each specific outcome is literally zero - yet one of them occurs. In a sense, we live in an infinitely unlikely world - you alluded to that when you (erroneously) referenced the finding that our Universe is extremely unlikely to be what it is by chance - only here it is far worse: the probability of the world being what it is is exactly zero.

Some philosophers tried going around that by positing that the world is fundamentally deterministic, even if we cannot learn anything about the mechanisms determining what outcome should take place. That does not solve the underlying continuity and infinitesimality issues, however.

I suspect that the concept of limit used in mathematics does not have a reflection in reality. One can say that the limit of the sequence 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ... is zero - yet perhaps there is no such thing as "limit" in the actual Universe. Perhaps the Universe is like a giant computer with extremely high, but finite computational power, therefore "limit" is a useful fiction, but it does not exist as a real phenomenon.

Or, perhaps, the problem is that we think as if it was a giant computer, while it is not. Humans think fundamentally in algorithms: "What do I need to do to feed myself?", or "What had to happen for the rain to begin?" We always assume that there is a sequence of events that leads to an emergent phenomenon - but if the sequence is infinite, we have a problem. Which makes me think of the Zeno's paradox. Perhaps people brushing it away by saying that Zeno's argument is naive and relies on the reader missing the clever trick of shrinking considered time periods are missing his actual point: that infinities are not as simple as we think they are.
    @MayCaesar
    I do not think you are recognizing the issue in question. 

You are correct.  I don't know what you are trying to ask. I'm sure the problem is in my understanding of what you are asking.
    @MayCaesar

That's fascinating and especially Dialethicism which sounds compellingly weird.
    MayCaesar
    @just_sayin

**I'm sure the problem is in my understanding of what you are asking.**

Well done , at least you're starting to realise your lack of comprehension is on you not on the OP ......there's hope for you yet.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 544 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph @just_sayin ;**I'm sure the problem is in my understanding of what you are asking.**   

You are correct.  I don't know what you are trying to ask. I'm sure the problem is in my understanding of what you are asking.

This is got to be so funny that its not funny at all. The 2 resident self confessed habitual liers cant under stand what each of them is asking. See where all that lieing gets you? When 2 liers face each other they get so confused that they dont know weather there Arther or Martha or Bill and Bob or Yin and Yang. 

You never know. We might see some truth come out for once since each of you has to lie about the other ones lies. Wow this is going to be so cool.

@Barnardot

Good ole Barmy right on cue , as usual your participation on this site is just to troll , I cannot think of one member you haven't branded a .

Run along you big child.

@MayCaesar
    I do not think you are recognizing the issue in question. 

Not to be a jerk, but this is an uncharacteristically honest reply from you. Instead of pretending that I said what you would prefer me to say so it is easy to dismantle "my" argument, for once you admit that you simply do not understand it. Welcome change.