frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Who's more authoritarian, liberals, or conservatives?

2»

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -   edited April 25
    @Dreamer

Your going to use an example of 1 person on 1 issue to make that conclusion?

Also little ironic when the left stance on this issue was essentially to authoritatively force people to take the vaccine.
    FactfinderDreamer
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6084 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

You make a good point as well. My response focused on the liberal aspect as I'm sure they'd like to steer their party away from wokeism and back to traditional liberal values. And the woke agenda was what I thought @ZeusAres42 centered his post on.

The conservative side are pretty united against the woke movement but have their issues with staunch hard right maga followers who've taken their party to the extreme in other ways. Mainly a cult like belief Trump does no wrong.

Sure both sides could right their ships but the potential progress that could have been made instead will be delayed. 
    I think that these issues are a logical conclusion to their fundamental values. Both parties are fundamentally collectivist, and now they are starting to show their true colors. Ayn Rand warned that it would come to this: it is impossible to base one's political platform on collectivistic values and not have it eventually get out of control.

The world needs a new political movement, one that promotes individual fulfillment and happiness, rather than the old "All for One, and One for All" adage. The old ones are unlikely to be reformed given how much historical, economical and political baggage they have. It is strange that we are expecting General Artificial Intelligence soon, yet are clinging to the same forms of political organization as 2,500 years ago.

@MayCaesar

I consider each stance individually, I just understand more often I agree with traditional conservative stances. 
     I wouldnt put myself in specific political categories other than to generically show where I typically would stand. I have more liberaterian stances then most conservatives.

I think Elon is awesome. Seems to someone that truly wants to advance humanity best interests and is succeeding. Go to mars
    Considering each stance individually based on your own set of values does not make you a conservative in my eyes, even if the particular stances you arrive at often accord with conservative ones. The reasoning behind a stance in this context is more important than the stance itself.

And yes, I also am closer to the Libertarian camp than any other.
  • FactfinderFactfinder 836 Pts   -   edited April 25
    @MayCaesar

I think that these issues are a logical conclusion to their fundamental values. Both parties are fundamentally collectivist, and now they are starting to show their true colors. Ayn Rand warned that it would come to this: it is impossible to base one's political platform on collectivistic values and not have it eventually get out of control.

That all may very well be true to some extent. But I might interpret them in a slightly different way. For instance the 'true colors' you bring up are not representative of the collective but rather of individuals who use the party of their choice because it aligned closer to their more extreme views. We live in an imperfect world so there are not going to be any perfect solutions for self governing as a society and culture. We must have a collective perspective when it comes to dealing with issues of crime and justice, because of our imperfection as a species we need mutual policing. We must collectively come to some agreements on how we as a society and as individuals can act towards one another and remain a civilized people. Sure the checks and balances get distorted at times but it's worth the effort to reign them in if and when possible. Furthermore both parties have room for individual rights and needs in their own ways on their perspective platforms. The problem is we can't make it a constitutional issue in every case. We just seem to be at a point in time where we're lacking the knowledge and wisdom of true leadership.    

The world needs a new political movement, one that promotes individual fulfillment and happiness, rather than the old "All for One, and One for All" adage. The old ones are unlikely to be reformed given how much historical, economical and political baggage they have. It is strange that we are expecting General Artificial Intelligence soon, yet are clinging to the same forms of political organization as 2,500 years ago.

I wouldn't be so quick to discard our political system even when you consider the political baggage. I look at it much the same way as the acquiescence of knowledge over time. Eventually no matter how absurd new information appears when first discovered, as it's tried and tested that once absurd notion becomes fact and accepted, even common knowledge. Or it's tossed as the garbage it was but over all, generally speaking building on knowledge only happens if we do not give up on what we know and start all over again. In a similar way, over the centuries we've made progress in reforming governments in more humane and altruistic directions. Some forms have been tossed, others have been refined and built upon. I do not think the U.S. and some other governments around the world need a political complete restructuring. What is needed most in my opinion is an injection of leadership qualities. Perhaps we as a people can start electing not simply according to party affiliation; but for the people who make sound arguments and proposals and who are not defensive in the face of criticism but those who learn from it? Without that I don't see much good in starting all over. 

ZeusAres42
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  

How about the right to be free from viruses? Effectively, you are swinging your microbes at someone when you don't vaccinate violating others rights.

• FactfinderFactfinder 836 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

How about the right to be free from viruses?

What agency on earth could possibly offer such a 'right'?
    Joeseph
  • DreamerDreamer 272 Pts   -  
    Freedom from excessive risk from pathogens would be more accurate. The idea is we all need to travel, but we don't have the right to recklessly endanger others or even our selves by speeding through red lights, stop signs, not using air bags, nor seat belts.

Many viruses like measles and polio should have been eradicated a long time ago, we should have a right to be free from measles and polio. Considering we had a polio case in Rockland New York in 2022 and anti-vaxxers have gained in wealth and power, we may yet see a resurgence of polio in the US and UK.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -  
    @Dreamer

A right to be free from viruses?  I guess your rights are broken every year.  In addition Im sure you are to blame sometime in your life for spreading disease so youve broken others rights.

I see later you switch to "excessive risk".  Then you believe you get to determine whats constitutes excessive risk. This is authoritarian.

Freedom would entail if you dont what to take excessive risk than you can limit the risk you take.  Buy a hazmat suit for all i care.
  • jackjack 460 Pts   -   edited April 26

Hello a:

I'm a lib..  I feel very strongly about my liberal views.  Clearly, conservatives want the same thing for their ideology..  The question, as I understand it, is who would use the"authority" of government to enforce their views.

By that metric, right wingers are super authoritarians.  Duh!

excon

@MayCaesar

That all may very well be true to some extent. But I might interpret them in a slightly different way. For instance the 'true colors' you bring up are not representative of the collective but rather of individuals who use the party of their choice because it aligned closer to their more extreme views. We live in an imperfect world so there are not going to be any perfect solutions for self governing as a society and culture. We must have a collective perspective when it comes to dealing with issues of crime and justice, because of our imperfection as a species we need mutual policing. We must collectively come to some agreements on how we as a society and as individuals can act towards one another and remain a civilized people. Sure the checks and balances get distorted at times but it's worth the effort to reign them in if and when possible. Furthermore both parties have room for individual rights and needs in their own ways on their perspective platforms. The problem is we can't make it a constitutional issue in every case. We just seem to be at a point in time where we're lacking the knowledge and wisdom of true leadership.    

I wouldn't be so quick to discard our political system even when you consider the political baggage. I look at it much the same way as the acquiescence of knowledge over time. Eventually no matter how absurd new information appears when first discovered, as it's tried and tested that once absurd notion becomes fact and accepted, even common knowledge. Or it's tossed as the garbage it was but over all, generally speaking building on knowledge only happens if we do not give up on what we know and start all over again. In a similar way, over the centuries we've made progress in reforming governments in more humane and altruistic directions. Some forms have been tossed, others have been refined and built upon. I do not think the U.S. and some other governments around the world need a political complete restructuring. What is needed most in my opinion is an injection of leadership qualities. Perhaps we as a people can start electing not simply according to party affiliation; but for the people who make sound arguments and proposals and who are not defensive in the face of criticism but those who learn from it? Without that I don't see much good in starting all over. 
    I do not think that this is how it works. Society as a whole does not develop any kind of collective perspective, and if you look at the history of every country in human history, it always originated with a small number of people claiming the right to decide how everyone else should live, and then forcing their views on everyone else. There is no such thing as "consent of the governed", or "the good of the collective", terms that are far too commonly used in philosophical discussions. Only two people can develop a consensus and sign a voluntary contract, and a group of multiple people would have everyone sign a voluntary contract with every other member of the group. But one cannot sign a contract with 340 million people.
    To some extent authoritarianism in the political organization of a country is inevitable. But it is going to be made much worse if the philosophical underpinnings of the country explicitly endorse it.

I do not think that the political system in the US needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the grounds up. I was talking specifically about a new political movement, that of people who recognize the value of the individual autonomy and do not believe that the government has the right to interfere in people's private affairs beyond what is needed to prevent violent and property crimes. The Democratic and the Republican party both approach the governing from the perspective of, "What would benefit our voters the most?" There are things that benefit someone at the expense of someone else's freedom, and those things are fair game from these parties' perspective.
    MayCaesar said:
    @MayCaesar

I do not think that this is how it works. Society as a whole does not develop any kind of collective perspective, and if you look at the history of every country in human history, it always originated with a small number of people claiming the right to decide how everyone else should live, and then forcing their views on everyone else. There is no such thing as "consent of the governed", or "the good of the collective", terms that are far too commonly used in philosophical discussions. Only two people can develop a consensus and sign a voluntary contract, and a group of multiple people would have everyone sign a voluntary contract with every other member of the group. But one cannot sign a contract with 340 million people.
    To some extent authoritarianism in the political organization of a country is inevitable. But it is going to be made much worse if the philosophical underpinnings of the country explicitly endorse it.

I do not think that the political system in the US needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the grounds up. I was talking specifically about a new political movement, that of people who recognize the value of the individual autonomy and do not believe that the government has the right to interfere in people's private affairs beyond what is needed to prevent violent and property crimes. The Democratic and the Republican party both approach the governing from the perspective of, "What would benefit our voters the most?" There are things that benefit someone at the expense of someone else's freedom, and those things are fair game from these parties' perspective.
    When you say "I don't think that's how it works", what is "it"? Not trying to be obtuse but I would like clarification because I do not think you would make an assertion that governmental bodies never develop a collective consensus no matter how they may have emerged. That would seem to fly in the face of the 13 colonies and the consensus they came too. The philosophical underpinnings of say the Bill of Rights can lead to authoritative tendencies and in someway likely have, but that's why it's always going to be a work in process. That's why we have checks and balances that need constant attention. That's why the constitution has amendments. The fact that the whole entire population can not be signatories of such a collective consensus doesn't assign any default positions against it. Indeed most Americans collectively agree on the Bill of Rights as a profoundly important document in helping to guide the governing body of our nation, we do not need to literally sign on board with it. I personally do not think of them as being "forced on me" as a physical conservative. I'm not aware of anyone of any other political persuasion claiming they are forced on them. That doesn't mean one or more parties can't succumb to fringe elements some how causing massive changes and then abuse the philosophical underpinnings of the Bill of Rights in an authoritative way, that is true. And that is why as a people we vigilantly use the tools provided within the documents to try and prevent that from happening. 

There have been several calls throughout time for new political movements to address the things you bring up in your second paragraph. I agree with you on what you're saying when you talk of the two parties willing to benefit a small majority at the expense of a minority of people. And I understand how that can be an authoritative, corruptive force within the collective. But the problem has been in the past in America that this third new movement just weakened one side or the other and did nothing for the balancing of power in any significant way. May have just happened to have weakened the one side at a critical moment but could have went the other way just as easy. You may not call for a complete overhaul of our political system but for some third party movement to emerge as some kind of neutral balancing agency in a substantial way; it would take just about an all out overhaul from the ground up. As it is now the Democrats and the Republicans have too strong of a hold. In that particular sense I could agree they've become somewhat authoritative. But not in the extreme sense most people think of when talking about a completely authoritative government. 

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6084 Pts   -   edited April 26
    @Factfinder

I meant the idea of the "collective perspective". The consensus that democratic governmental bodies develop is fundamentally different from the consensus that, say, the board of directors of a hedge fund develops, for the latter is explicitly agreed upon by every employee, partner or investor of the company via the contract they signed when interacting with the company, while the former is forced on the population. The fact that the population gets to vote for a few of the decision-makers does not retract from the fact that, at the bottom, it is not asked for consent. In simple terms, the government is a tyrant. If you disagree, ask yourself what happens if you choose to reject the Bill of Rights and offer its alternative - what are the consequences of such choice? Are they the same as the consequences of, say, rejecting the EULA of a software publisher?

The difference between voluntary and coercive interaction is that in the former case the party the interaction is offered to has the option to walk away with no legal/physical consequences, while in the latter it does not. Voluntary interaction is this: "I offer you an apple and want a pear back. If you agree, great. If you disagree, great." Coercive interaction is this: "Here is an apple, and I will take that pear, thanks. If you resist, then I will beat you down." Governments as they exist nowadays fundamentally function along the lines of the latter.

Sure, this is not Russia or China. But it is interesting that not being Russia or China is seem as overcoming some kind of a high bar. Michael Malice puts it very well: the vast majority of human interactions are voluntary, and the vast majority of coercive interactions involve the government. This suggests that a) humans are very much capable of deciding for themselves how to interact with others and do not need the government to tell them how to do so, and that b) the government gets involved in far more than it should be allowed to. Because these points are not recognized by any major political movement, the system expectedly gradually descends into more and more authoritarianism. Nowadays in the US people get fined for selling hot dogs on their own yards, and the tax code is so complicated, corporations pay more to lawyers hired to do the tax paperwork than the taxes themselves.

My point is simply that nobody should be surprised that things are as lousy as they are politics-wise. That Trump and Biden are the presidential candidates. That the job market is in paralysis. This is the natural outcome of a system built on outdated principles and never revised - and by "system" I do not mean as much this particular form of governance, as how people at large think.

As I mentioned in some other discussion, ultimately freedom does not lie in any particular political system, but in one's mind. I have always felt extremely free anywhere, even in totalitarian dystopias like in Belarus or Uzbekistan. The sense of my full agency and control over my life is too overpowering to be swayed by some obese tyrants. And if I have any philosophical role in this world, it is to encourage other people to acknowledge their own agency and control over their lives. If enough people do that, the movement I mentioned will appear naturally. Tyrants can only control people who believe that they are weak and powerless; a society of individuals who realize that their personal power would lead to very different people getting into the government. Maybe one day I will hear the American president say, "Do not ask what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for yourself". Here is hoping. :)
    MayCaesar said:
    @Factfinder

I meant the idea of the "collective perspective". The consensus that democratic governmental bodies develop is fundamentally different from the consensus that, say, the board of directors of a hedge fund develops, for the latter is explicitly agreed upon by every employee, partner or investor of the company via the contract they signed when interacting with the company, while the former is forced on the population. The fact that the population gets to vote for a few of the decision-makers does not retract from the fact that, at the bottom, it is not asked for consent. In simple terms, the government is a tyrant. If you disagree, ask yourself what happens if you choose to reject the Bill of Rights and offer its alternative - what are the consequences of such choice? Are they the same as the consequences of, say, rejecting the EULA of a software publisher?

The difference between voluntary and coercive interaction is that in the former case the party the interaction is offered to has the option to walk away with no legal/physical consequences, while in the latter it does not. Voluntary interaction is this: "I offer you an apple and want a pear back. If you agree, great. If you disagree, great." Coercive interaction is this: "Here is an apple, and I will take that pear, thanks. If you resist, then I will beat you down." Governments as they exist nowadays fundamentally function along the lines of the latter.

Sure, this is not Russia or China. But it is interesting that not being Russia or China is seem as overcoming some kind of a high bar. Michael Malice puts it very well: the vast majority of human interactions are voluntary, and the vast majority of coercive interactions involve the government. This suggests that a) humans are very much capable of deciding for themselves how to interact with others and do not need the government to tell them how to do so, and that b) the government gets involved in far more than it should be allowed to. Because these points are not recognized by any major political movement, the system expectedly gradually descends into more and more authoritarianism. Nowadays in the US people get fined for selling hot dogs on their own yards, and the tax code is so complicated, corporations pay more to lawyers hired to do the tax paperwork than the taxes themselves.

My point is simply that nobody should be surprised that things are as lousy as they are politics-wise. That Trump and Biden are the presidential candidates. That the job market is in paralysis. This is the natural outcome of a system built on outdated principles and never revised - and by "system" I do not mean as much this particular form of governance, as how people at large think.

As I mentioned in some other discussion, ultimately freedom does not lie in any particular political system, but in one's mind. I have always felt extremely free anywhere, even in totalitarian dystopias like in Belarus or Uzbekistan. The sense of my full agency and control over my life is too overpowering to be swayed by some obese tyrants. And if I have any philosophical role in this world, it is to encourage other people to acknowledge their own agency and control over their lives. If enough people do that, the movement I mentioned will appear naturally. Tyrants can only control people who believe that they are weak and powerless; a society of individuals who realize that their personal power would lead to very different people getting into the government. Maybe one day I will hear the American president say, "Do not ask what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for yourself". Here is hoping. :)
    Well first of all to me it's inconceivable that anyone can legitimately be against the bill of rights as it represents the very core of individual liberty. What alternative do you present?

Yes governments as they are prevent complete anarchy. Yet they do not operate with complete immunity as your apple analogy suggest. It's been my experience that they're more willing to let you off then cite you. I haven't experienced the 'beat down' attitude. If one wants to walk away from the bill of rights so be it. What reprisal do you imagine befalls them?

I agree the government overreaches where selling hot dogs in a front yard or where  lemonade stands are concerned.  

I do not think the system is as defective as much as it is corrupt. How do we protect against human frailty?

I agree if enough people realized they don't have to be manipulated the more who won't be. The reality is many want to be followers. And that's allowed excessive government red tape to hold citizens at bay, that is true. 

@Factfinder

Even if every single person agrees with the Bill of Rights, it is still not consented upon by everyone explicitly. I do not want to offer any particular criticisms of the Bill of Rights (except it not protecting enough civil liberties, in my opinion), but the way it was ratified is, again, principally different from the way private individuals enter mutually agreed upon interactions. And when this top-down ratification is the default mode of the system's operation, then eventual descent into tyranny is virtually inevitable. It can only be prevented by the culture of systematic opposition to and awareness of governmental imposition, which is the opposite of, say, the Constitutional Absolutism that, instead, venerates such imposition.

I am not saying that abolition of the government and embrace of anarchy is the solution to the problem - demonstrably anarchy can be as tyrannical as the worst totalitarian regimes out there - but simply raising the awareness of the issue and trying to explain the general trend of all democratic governments eventually growing in size and power and expanding far beyond their original intended functions. The more power and agency private individuals have and the more independent from the government they are, the less vulnerable to governmental tyranny they will be - but when the dominant sentiment is government being the necessary good rather than, at best, the necessary evil, then the movement is likely to be in the opposite direction, i.e. towards tyranny.
    Factfinder
    @MayCaesar

There is truth to what you say. It appears no matter what there will be some authoritative agency and dissent. 

In reading your words I had a sense inedibility that no matter what government or party holds power eventually society will deteriorate. Probably because no matter how much individualism any authority respects it will never come close to satisfying everyone single person. So we just ride the waves.   
    MayCaesar
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 164 Pts   -  
    Who has opened the border and forced the American citizen to live with the consequences?
    Who has forced green energy initiatives upon the American people who suffer under its foolish consequences?
    Who has sought to imprison their political rivals? 
    Who seeks to murder the innocent unborn and jails those who seek pro-life initiatives? 
    Who seeks to force parents to accept LGBTQ perversion and the mutilation of their children through sexual transitioning initiatives? 
    Who seeks to force the working American to pay the debts of the slothful and disingenuous?
    Who seeks to force DEI and Affirmative Action mandates upon a society that is rooted and founded in meritocracy?