frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why you should believe in a religion by a atheist

Debate Information

First of all, I like to clarify that I agree with the opinion: "God isn't real". Instead, I am arguing that religion has a more positive impact on our daily life.

Argument #1: To be reassured 

Every religion is based on the purpose for explaining the unknown and the uncertain, for we humans fear it. While science has provide reasonable explanation for many of them, the more we discover only creates more questions. 

While today we probably live in the most stable and certain world in Human history—not having to worry about food or water. Smaller things that have relatively very little impact on our daily life like social status, global economy, and war in some other country trouble us more every day than it should have for a simple reason: "knowing more unknowns." 

So as a result, being "ignorant," optimistic, or believing a religion that promise certainty, has a better impact in life as most of these worries nowadays mostly are unnecessary and only makes us depress more than we should have.

Argument #2: Great source of social interaction

Religion has been known for its surprisingly effective way of socially connecting people. While they can be divided through different classes, ethic, and political believe,  they are united under the roof of religion. 

The problem of social isolation caused by the advancement of technology like cellphones and social media can be easily solved through the participation of church by believing in God.

Conclusion:

Believing in a religion can not only relieve the fear of unknown and becoming more confident in your life, it also improves your social skills and status by creating many opportunities to make friends and engage with people!

I am reediting the debate because for some reason I can not reply back to my opponent so I will just reply here instead!!

While it is true that religion has lead to some degree of denial of science and common sense, I feel that it only appeals to extreme radicals in the Christian community (I am not familiar with any other religion). Usually in a stereotypical Christian church, the preaching is about love, understanding, and accepting others. It is not the religion's fault, but other people's misinterpretation of the idea of the Christianity to match their own view upon the world. 

Chances are, most believers in their subconscious don't really believe in God, after being taught at school of the theory of evolution. But due to the psychological effect of the believe resulting in a more optimistic view and happier life, they are led to actually thinking they do and tends to fix these ideal of Jesus to match their own. If they despise one thing, they are likely to believe that's what this religion is about too.

For example: Racist people who are christian would argue that their religion is being threaten by other religion/ethnic, even though the teaching of Jesus is about love and accepting others. 

As a conclusion, what I am trying to say is that these radicals who develop hatred and/or denial of science, other ethnic group, other religion, etc., is not a result of people believing in a religion, but of the extremist's use of misinterpreting religion as a justification for their ideal.

Ok, same problem again here so I will just post my argument for round 2 here!!

First, from recent data we see a steady decrease in creationist and increase in evolutionist (https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx), so it isn't as serious as you hinted.

Second, I think you are getting a little off topic. Trump's presidency isn't over yet, so I think you are kinda jumping the gun here and using unproven and one sided opinion to prove that the effect of religion is bad.

Third, I had like to acknowledge the fact that many scientist are religious and it hasn't affected one single bit of their achievement in their field! 

Forth, I had like to acknowledge the fact that most people aren't going to become biologist or physician. It really doesn't matter that much what believe they have since really religion plays a relatively small part in politic as any politician who use it will be absolutely shredded by the left wing (just look at trump). We have all been through the American civil war and WW2, do you really think these radicals will ever rise again?   
BrainSocks

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
72%
Likely
28%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Rounds: 2

Time Per Round: 12 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Round 1

Round 2

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    Religion is like a club. Instead of bringing people together by interest, however, they are brought together by faith.

I am all for clubs, as, like you said, they bring "...opportunities to make friends and engage with people."

However, it can be difficult to get along with people you don't have the same "interests" as. For example, a non-believer can't say, "I'd like to start believing now," and suddenly gain a mental package of that religion's belief system.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    SkepticalOneSkepticalOne Gold Premium Member 1638 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    My opponent has suggested religion provides an explanation for the unknown, however, this is not exactly true.  Religion provides an answer for the unknown by appealing to a different unknown - this should not be confused for an explanation. It is crutch of ignorance built to deal with ignorance. This is really problematic when religious answers encourage believers to reject aspects of reality because it conflicts with their (lack of) understanding. Examples of this can be seen in religiously motivated denial of evolution, medical treatment, blood transfusions, etc., and/or religiously motivated discrimination of homosexuals, foreigners, women, or those who believe differently. Overall, false certainty should be viewed as a net-negative rather than a benefit. A community which focuses on ignorance is still better than nothing, but it should be considered much less desirable than one accepting of reality as it is (or as it turns out to be) and all peoples regardless of differences.
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • Round 2 | Position: Against

In the US, almost twice as many people believe a god created humans in present form over unguided evolution. [1] "Pro-life" ideology is inherently religious. If it weren't Trump promising a Pro-life Supreme Court (and 81% of the evangelical vote because of it) Trump's presidency may have never existed [2]. Perhaps, with a different president, the US could be leading the way in renewable energy technologies and offering something tangible to the world rather than burdening the global economy with a trade war. Of course that is speculation, nonetheless, the current state of turmoil in the US politics can be attributed to the unlikely alliance between Trump and white evangelicals. In short, it appears large swathes of believers reject science and common sense, but, even if this denial were a reflection of nothing more than the views of religious extremists, it is still drastically affecting our daily lives in a negative way.

SaltBucketPlaffelvohfenCYDdharta
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.