frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

As per usual, Trump is being demonized for anything he does, while Obama always got a pass.

2»

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    the reason trump is demonised is because he is a racist prejudge.Image result for trump obama memes

LOL

Image result for trump obama memesthe reason trump is demonised is because he is a racist prejudge.

Right, because all racists have been honored for their "patriotism, tolerance, brotherhood and diversity" with Rosa Parks and Mohammad Ali.

We_are_accountable
  • We_are_accountableWe_are_accountable 1147 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

I don't know if you are deliberately being deceptive, or like playing games. The obvious point I was making is that Democrats are already crucifying Trump for supposedly not doing enough to prevent the spread of this virus.

The video I showed you was Obama doing very little and telling the people to be calm. He was not crucified for just giving it lip service. He got a free pass, but no matter what Trump does, the Left uses it to attack him.

If you do not see the hypocrisy, then I have better things to do.
    @TKDB

Yes, it now matters not who the Democrat President is. He will get a pass from the biased liberal media. It is very scary when our free press takes political sides.

It's like we are becoming one of these dictator nations where the press is controlled by Government.
  • It is true that some people will demonize Trump for anything he does base purely on the premise that they just don't like him, regardless of the validity of what has been said by him. I would also say the same goes for Obama too. That's just the way some human beings mind's work; they let their preconceived notions cloud their judgment.
    MayCaesar

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @We_are_accountable I'm sorry, I thought this was America where the first amendment allows us to say things like:

"Trump is the worst president we have ever suffered as a nation"

or

"I can't wait for Trump to be out of office so that we can fix all the damage he caused to this country"

or

"Trump caused the worst market crash in US history, this all could have been avoided if he was rightfully impeached"

I must have accidentally wandered into Trumpistan where saying anything against the lord and savior Donald J. Trump is a crime worthy of execution.[/end sarcasm]

Everyone had their chance to criticize Obama when he was in office. There is no double standard here, just a missed opportunity, and it isn't a missed opportunity anyways because Obama's message didn't cause the stock market to plunge!

I'm sorry, but if you don't understand why that message is just the most terrible thing for a leader to say, you can read the dialogue between me an MayCaesar. If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

This is the reality:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-stocks-follow-u-s-markets-lower-11583975524

Stocks Plunge 10% in Dow’s Worst Day Since 1987

Stocks Plunge as Trump announces Travel ban between US and Europe.
    CYDdhartaWe_are_accountable
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @Happy_Killbot

And Obama wasted the countries time, while he pandered to his followers, or constituents, for 8 years.

That kind of worship, wasn't good for the health of the country as a whole, was it?

But his followers, enjoyed 8 years of handouts that the rest of the country paid for, out of their own pockets, right? 

We_are_accountable
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2765 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    TKDB said:
    @Happy_Killbot

And Obama wasted the countries time, while he pandered to his followers, or constituents, for 8 years.

That kind of worship, wasn't good for the health of the country as a whole, was it?

But his followers, enjoyed 8 years of handouts that the rest of the country paid for, out of their own pockets, right? 

Hi, again @TKDB or is it @TTKDB or maybe @TKEDaniel6?

Which one again? I forget.

And the irony of this is that you often accuse me of being on this site before you.

Should I keep going? And I wonder how aarong would feel about multi-accounts here?

We_are_accountable

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @ZeusAres42

"As per usual, Trump is being demonized for anything he does, while Obama always got a pass."

You're being off topic.

Hi, again @TKDB or is it @TTKDB or maybe @TKEDaniel6?

Which one again? I forget.

And the irony of this is that you often accuse me of being on this site before you.

Should I keep going? And I wonder how aarong would feel about multi-accounts here?

Dee
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -   edited March 2020

This is the reality:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-stocks-follow-u-s-markets-lower-11583975524

Stocks Plunge 10% in Dow’s Worst Day Since 1987

Stocks Plunge as Trump announces Travel ban between US and Europe.

This is also the reality that you refuse to post.

@Happy_Killbot

Yes, the first amendment lets me IGNORE a total biased Democrat who refuses to admit the constant hypocrisy and double standards.
    Happy_Killbot
    @CYDdharta The worst day was still worse than the best day, sorry but I am still right here, and the markets have only done worse since then.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

@We_are_accountable The only way there could be a double standard is if you think that Trump is somehow above the law and give him a pass on all the damage he has caused this nation. There is no double standard beyond that you do not hold Trump accountable.
    We_are_accountable

@Happy_Killbot

Yeh, we should have crucified Trump for all the great things he has done for this nation. If Obama had done half of what Trump has accomplished, the biased media would have crowned him the Messiah! IGNORE
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

Well spotted I didn’t know he had several accounts must give Aaron a heads up 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Yes the criticisms are not fair on Trump as he never bows or scrapes to any man ....unless it’s the king of Saudi where he bowed his head like a whipped dog and almost fell to his knees in admiration , note his knee bent ready to knell until the king told him “ you’re ok you’ve groveled enough “ Make you proud to be American? .....Of course Trump when on Twitter attacks other leaders but not this despicable tyrant who the US under Trump signed a 390 billion arms deal .....Is Don a Muslim like Obama was according to you clots?

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta

Tell us again what was the terrible “affliction “ that helped  the cretin avoid the draft?
    Dee said:
    @CYDdharta

Tell us again what was the terrible “affliction “ that helped  the cretin avoid the draft?

You mean Biden?  That was asthma.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta

Whats Biden got to do me? Did Biden fall to his knees in front of the king of Saudi like the orange one?
  • lj123lj123 157 Pts   -  
    in my opinion this is not true for Obama was never in trouble, true, but he also never did anything very wrong, whereas trump is a crook and deserves every bit of blame he is getting eg he said he would build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it and in four years, all he has done is some negotiations of which he has come out of saying that the Americans would pay and that the wall would be built years later 

CYDdharta
    Whatever it is, if you don't agree with me then your wrong.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot. Are you seriously blaming Trump for a drop in the Dow, we were on a record pace until the entire world economy got shutdown do to a virus. What exactly was he supposed to do to prevent that?

This is what the original post was talking about.  Originally Trump didnt do enough, now hes done too much...he can never win with some people.  It is looking like most of his precautions were smart, and ahead of the curve of most other nations that are doing the same thing but later.
    @MichaelElpers Specifically it was during his speech a week ago where he wrongly claimed that all trade with Europe was going to be shut down. Turns out if businesses can't import stuff they can't sell it.

Maybe you would argue it was coincidence, but immediately after that speech, the dow dropped like a rock, over 1,000 points.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8102959/Donald-Trump-forced-immediately-correct-statement-Europe-trade-ban.html

I would also like to nit-pick your statement "Originally Trump didnt do enough, now hes done too much" Because both of these things can be true if the subject is changing, which in this case is the case.

For example, firing the pandemic response team before the outbreak is both not doing enough and doing to much. This is because he is not doing enough to help, and he is doing to much to hurt. Even if the Dow initially dropping isn't really his fault, which is dubious, he didn't do anything to make it better, in particular say all the nice things that leaders are supposed to say to restore confidence in their people, and that lead to markets sliding further. In other words, we f***ed up hard.

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1127 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @Happy_Killbot. Its still falling that would have only slightly affected it and you know that.

So you want him to potentially lie to restore confidence and if he ends up being wrong hes a .  What has he done that is a wrongful response.  Also trump didnt fire the redponse team just some of the bureaucrats.
    @MichaelElpers Well, Trump is already a , that probably doesn't help much.

Did you watch Obama's Swine flu speech on the first page?

He needs to do that, it's more about the way than the content.
    Plaffelvohfen

Well if your not based in emotion and like statistics what trump said is perfectly logical.  I mean think about it if 70,000 people die from the flu each year, why are you super worried about only a couple deaths.  I dont trust the government is doing everything they can just because they say so, also just saying stay calm makes me think they may be hiding something bad, isnt that blindly following, the very thing you get mad a trump followers for.  Trump actually gave a logical reason why you shouldnt be scared.

Also again if you look at the way hes actually handled the situation, its been a step ahead of most other countries. Hes closed borders early, hes working hard with private companies to get a vaccine, he has constantly been telling people not to panic, specifically saying stop bulk buying, and has a stimulus package in place in order the lower the effect it has on the economy.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    Dee said:
    @CYDdharta

Whats Biden got to do me? Did Biden fall to his knees in front of the king of Saudi like the orange one?

You call that "falling to his knees"?!?  That's not "falling to his knees", this is someone falling to his knees.

@MichaelElpers

Well if your not based in emotion and like statistics what trump said is perfectly logical.  I mean think about it if 70,000 people die from the flu each year, why are you super worried about only a couple deaths.  I dont trust the government is doing everything they can just because they say so, also just saying stay calm makes me think they may be hiding something bad, isnt that blindly following, the very thing you get mad a trump followers for.  Trump actually gave a logical reason why you shouldnt be scared.

Also again if you look at the way hes actually handled the situation, its been a step ahead of most other countries. Hes closed borders early, hes working hard with private companies to get a vaccine, he has constantly been telling people not to panic, specifically saying stop bulk buying, and has a stimulus package in place in order the lower the effect it has on the economy.
    I can't think of a single reason why 70,000 people dying from the flu should be considered a logical reason to not get worried, if anything that is a good reason for us to shut down everything seasonally.

Closing border is a dumb idea, it doesn't help because the virus is already here, it shuts down trade that makes the stock market crash further.

You kind of go back on yourself here, at first you say that you don't trust when the government is telling you to stay calm and that makes you think they are hiding something, but then it seems you don't hold that same standard for Trump. Isn't that a bit of a double standard if indeed this is your stance?

@Happy_Killbot. It is a logical reason to keep people from overreacting because we dont overact when flu season hits.

Closing the border prevents the virus from spreading to new areas, and from spreading much quicker.  The same reason they limit crowd size.  It may not necessarily limit number of cases but it prevents a rapid rise.  When you have a rapid rise its a lot harder to deal with a medical care/testing is limited.  Also gives more time for a vaccine or cure to be produced.

It wasnt a double standard because what i was refering to was that trump was providing stats also has provided details on the counter measures they are taking.  Details make me feel better than stay calm we are doing what we can, which generally of crap what are we going to do?
    @MichaelElpers But what is logical about not freaking out like this whenever the normal flu season hits?

If we take your same reasoning from the before, which is that we don't overreact during the normal flu season, then couldn't we conclude that because we don't normally shut down the boarders during flu season that we shouldn't do it now?

What I am saying when I assert that there is a double standard is that you will not put trust in the government's words, but you will put trust in Trump's words. Suppose there was someone who had the opposite position as you, that is to say they trusted what government officials said, and not what Trump said assuming that whenever he says anything he is hiding something. Wouldn't this make them have the opposite reaction to Trump's "stay calm everything is good", roughly equivalent to your reaction when government officials say the same thing?

@Happy_Killbot. I agree partly with what you are saying.  What trump was trying to do was put perspective on how damaging the Corona virus is currently in comparison to the flu to give a logical reason not to panic.  Your conclusion on why are we closing the borders would be correct if that was the only information or factor we were basing it on.  However without taking any precautions the virus would be a lot worse than the flu, estimations with the appropriate action will be they it may not be much worse.

In trust its not that im claiming that i believe Obama was straight up lying while all trumps quotes are true.  What im saying is I have better reason to believe when details are given about how things are being delt with rather than just stay calm.  For example, when asked about how bernie would pay for Medicare for all or for how trump would get mexico to pay for it, often little detail is given, that leads me to question what they are saying.  If trump says ive been working not only with governement officials, but private medical entities and weve come up with a vaccine in 8 weeks, that has produced 93% positivity rating, that has detail to make me believe we are on the right track.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    The difference between those pictures is Trumps are worth a thousand lies. He has had 18 of them taken … evidently. ;-)
    @MichaelElpers I kind of feel like you are dodging the question here, If the decision to close the borders is being made for the covid-19 and it is not expected to be any worse or of comparable damage to the seasonal flu, isn't that a strong reason to close the borders and limit trade during the regular flu season, or conversely to not close the borders now?

As for a vaccine in 8 weeks, I wouldn't count on that. If everything goes perfectly, it could still be months before a vaccine is developed, tested, manufactured, and distributed. I am no virologist, but just from what I know about how vaccines work, there are numerous hurdles to developing a cure, including multiple strains, packaged proteins, and likelihood of mutation. Sometimes these things can actually be a benefit, for example if one of the proteins contained within the virus allows for some exploit a cure may be developed based on that.

The next phase is the bureaucracy surrounding the issue, it means nothing if a vaccine is developed that is ineffective or has some unsavory side effects, so while many requirements are already relaxed, it is still important that records be kept and careful attention is made to properly test the vaccine, both in animals and humans, for effectiveness and safety. For example, let's say the effects of the vaccine ware off after a month. First off, this testing takes a month at minimum to test, which just by itself can raise the time significantly. For a virus like covid-19 which has a long incubation period (the time when someone is infected and can infect others prior to showing symptoms)  this matter is further complicated, because it will already take a minimum 2 weeks after the test to ensure that no reinfection has occurred. This  means that if we start animal testing today, at a minimum we will have to wait 2 weeks just to know if the initial vaccine was effective, plus the time we want to wait to see if the vaccine remains effective, plus another two weeks after that just to check for symptoms. Then we have to repeat all of this in humans, doubling the time again. This means that a minimum 8 weeks is required just for bureaucracy if we cut out the wait period to 0, and attempt reinfection after 2 weeks. This is just assuming nothing goes wrong and the scientists don't have to start over.

Then manufacturing can start. We can assume that the facilities will be ready to go as soon as the testing phase is complete, but this just means that manufacture can start and will still be limited by the production capacity of the actual factory. According to the CDC and looking at historical records, it takes about 6 months to produce large quantities of the vaccine for the seasonal flu.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

Obviously, the vaccine doesn't have to reach 100% of the US population, just those who are most at risk meaning the elderly and those with compromised immunity. So if we just focus on citizens aged 50+, that is just over a third (34%) of the US population. This means we need about 111.25 million vaccines, and we can assume these are distributed in an intelligent way. (those most needing first)  Predicting what the actual capability would be is difficult, but needless to say that getting and distributing this many vaccines is not going to happen in 8 weeks.

All of this is just a long winded way of saying the devil is in the details, and even so trusting Trump isn't a good bet.
    ZeusAres42

@Happy_Killbot. Im saying it would be much worse than the flu if we didnt take those precautions for the corona virus.  That is why we closed the borders here, to lower thr numbers to flu like levels.

I didnt say the vaccine was complete, i said that had trials with a drug in 8 weeks that had a 93% positivity rating.  One of things trump is good at doing is eliminating unneeded bureaucracy and red tape.  Implementing things such as right to try and compassionate use that allows doctors to use experimental drugs on patients which not only provides more hope but speeds up the process as more data is collected on drugs
    @MichaelElpers Most of the time reduced restriction policies are planned out ahead of time, and getting to the relaxed modes of operation are only a signature or declaration away, because that is more formal than going back in and picking which regulations to relax manually, although I don't know the specifics about how the CDC and medicine regulations work, I do know that this is typically how bureaucracies function.

I can find no further information in regards to a "vaccine with a 93% positivity rating"  I don't even know and can not find any information in regards to what a positivity rating even is. Would you care to elaborate a little on this?
    ZeusAres42

@Happy_Killbot. It was mentioned by one of the medical professionals at the presidents press conference yesterday.  I dont remember if it was a drug or vaccine but said in current trials that was its positivity rsting.
    @MichaelElpers I think I just found what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRpSQYh5yg

at 15:30 she says: "...the last report we have seen from the laboratories have a 7 plus percent positive rate still 93 percent or 92 percent are negative..."

If this is what you mean then what is meant is just that 93% of people in high priority areas tested negative for the virus, which means the spread is still limited.
    MichaelElpersZeusAres42

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6069 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    This entire argument seems to stem from different people looking at the same issue from different perspectives. Here is the general narratives I see made:

Group A: "Democrats will praise Obama for almost everything and vilify Trump for almost everything."
    Group B: "Republicans will praise Trump for almost everything and vilify Obama for almost everything."

You do realise, guys, that these two are not mutually exclusive? ;) One would have to be blind to not realise the presence of strong bias in major political parties towards supporting their elects and vilifying their opponents' elects.

It is clear that Trump will have to try extremely hard to hear a good word said about him on CNN, but by the same token Obama had to try extremely hard to hear a good word said about him on Fox News. In the face of this state of affairs, I find the discussion on whether Trump is being criticised by his opponents justly or not somewhat irrelevant: he is going to be criticised by them no matter what, so what does it matter if the criticism is justified, when the source of this criticism is tribalism?