frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

For ****s and giggles: Can Christians be prochoice?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @RickeyD In today's world, the original artwork doesn't have any value, it is the rights to the work that has the value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8sB25IL4o

I could also argue that there is no difference between the original and the copies, in the example of movies and video games, where the value is exactly the same unless there is something special about it (example, signed by the director)

The world is not lost and dying, it is growing and changing, mostly for the better.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020

Have you observed a dead body void its life force? Where did that force or power or strength of consciousness go? You deny the Spirit but you have ZERO evidence that a spirit and a Spiritual World does NOT exist yet you clamor in fervency that naturalism is King and the only viable option...without evidence. You cannot define origin, you cannot define life, you cannot define death because you don't know...you cannot disprove our God, but the Scriptures clearly articulate these things but you love your homosexuality, your sin, your narcissism, much more than any pursuit of Truth...fact is, it's all about your flesh that is dying by the moment in futility. 

You tout the scientific method but even empiricism is absent in the naturalistic worldview...your ideology is based wholly on assumptions and inferences yet the Holy Spirit of God has told you these thing concerning origin, meaning, morality, destiny...but you don't believe because the Holy Spirit stands in opposition to your sensuality, narcissism, your immorality which you love more than Truth and life itself because you are demonically influenced and headed to a fate much like Satan's in Eternity.

Why not sit for an hour or two and carefully read through the "Gospel of John" and at least know what our Creator has said and don't die in spiritual ignorance...if you opt to die in Hell at least know WHY you're headed there?

Blastcat
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot ; There is a world of difference between authenticity and counterfeits...just as there is a world of difference between God's morality and man's relativism. The World and everything in it is perishing and will be consumed and restructured for God's purposes. You are dying by the second and at this point in Time you are headed to death in sin and an initial incarceration in Hades-Sheol/Torments and ultimately a second death in Hell in your unbelief.

Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6075 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

Once again, I am not asking you about books; I am asking you about actual demonstrable evidence. I have access to multiple physics laboratories; what experiment can I do to test the existence of souls outside of bodies, and if I cannot, then where can I download the data I can analyse on my computer of their existence?

The difference between belief and knowledge is that belief rests solely on your conviction that something is true, while knowledge rests on logical analysis of facts. You keep saying "I believe...", "Scripture says..." and so on, which makes one think that you really do not know anything on the subject and just appeal to your own thoughts. That is not a way to make a logical argument.

If I tell you that I believe in t-rexes hunting people in Africa right now, because I saw them in my last dream - what will you think of my reasoning? Well, your reasoning is similarly logical.
    smoothieBlastcat
    @Happy_Killbot ; The curse upon the woman concerning labor pains might be mitigated by narcotics or manipulation of the spinal cord but the pain, in reality, remains and is present though masked; therefore, the curse is valid, real, present.

There will be no human clones...it won't happen.

Blastcat

1) The demonstrable evidence lies within the Scriptures and in life before our eyes. What demonstrable evidence do you possess that negates the reality of the spiritual? What empirical data do you possess that negates the reality of our Creator and His dominion, authority and power over your life?

2) You know nothing about T-Rex or God because you've never seen or dealt with a T-Rex and you don't know God because you refuse to humble yourself and allow Him to enter your life and change your worldview from one of death and hopelessness to one of life and peace.

God is real, He lives in my life, I know Him personally and you can know Him as well if you'll stop pursuing lies and pursue God...He will be found by you.

Blastcat
    @RickeyD

I am asking you what this evidence is, and you just keep saying, "It exists in the Scriptures and in life". Imagine if a young kid asks you, "Sir, what is a spoon?" You will not answer with, "The definition of a spoon exists; it is in dictionaries", will you? You will explain what a spoon is. Similarly, you should explain to me what the evidence is, rather than that it exists and where.

I do not have any data to disprove the existence of god and its dominion over me. I also do not have any data to disprove the existence of Santa Claus. Proving non-existence of something is not what we are talking about here; proving existence of that something is.

How do you know that I have never seen or dealt with a T-Rex? What if I tell you that in my prayers I have communicated with T-Rexes on a regular basis? That is about the same argument you are giving me with regards to god.
    smoothieBlastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD I actually have an answer to that, but it is kind of complex. The answer has to do with emergence. If you have ever played Conway's game of life, you will see that simple shapes that follow very basic rules give rise to other things that follow different rules. The combined parts are greater than their individual components.

https://playgameoflife.com/

With life, there are many layers of emergence all built on top of one another, starting at the quantum level, where there is no matter or energy, just waves and particles (which are the same thing) These build atoms, atoms build chemicals, chemicals build proteins and DNA, proteins build cells, cells build tissues, tissues build organs, organs build life. At any stage of emergence if you remove key components the rest collapses.

Consider a familiar emergent system, a Broadway performance. The actors behave in ways that might seem chaotic, but they follow rules that we can understand, such as choreography and dialogue. There is a plot that follows from previous plot elements, and the motions of the actors are in relation to the plot and dialogue. No where to be found in any individual piece, line, scene, or actor is the performance, but together they make the performance possible.

If a child asked you what happens to the performance when it is over, how would you respond?

I don't know what naturalism is. Or where Jesus got his Y chromosome from, but Occam's razor is very persuasive.

What I do know is that science is so useful, that any ideas or philosophy that denies, modifies, or completely rejects its literal truth is probably garbage. If we want to say something is truth, we should have evidence to support it. If there is no evidence, we shouldn't worry about it. In the case of god, well, you have to try very hard to see evidence. It doesn't care about your personal feelings, or metaphysical assumptions, it is only concerned with reality. To know science is to be intimate with reality, and to fill unknowns with whatever you please is wishful thinking.

So how would you respond to a child who asked you where the performance goes when the show is over?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD I will take that rambling as a no then. Thank you for your time. I guess I will never really understand you, seeming as you push everybody away who asks. That truly is hurtful Rickey...

You may resume appealing to fallacy in the debate and factual environments:

I recommend studying up if you want to participate in a formal debate.
    why so serious?

I am telling you that the evidence lies within the Scriptures and before our eyes in life if we're willing to see it and allow the Holy Spirit to convey these Truths to us. As long as you pursue naturalism, you'll only see what is before your eyes and even then, incorrectly internalize what you see.

I am telling you, promising you, if you'll humble yourself and let go of the lies of naturalism and open your mind to see greater things you will find a life beyond your wildest imagination...start by performing an exegesis of the "Gospel of John"...you will not regret it. What have you to lose?

We know that Santa and Rudolph do not exist but you cannot deny the evidence for our Creator in Nature, in the Heavens and in our genome.  Read the Gospel of John and get back with me...read with intent and a honest, searching heart...find out what I know and live what I know...you will not regret it, I promise you!

smoothieBlastcat

1) The performance lives-on in my mind and in my soul...it has impacted my life in demonstrable ways depending upon the attention given the performance; my attitude toward the performance; my preparation for the performance; my appreciation for the performers; my education; my life experiences...all will be altered in direct proportion to these things.

The performance never disappears because its influence, its theme, its persuasiveness, is written in my mind...it will linger on perhaps into Eternity.

2) Mankind knows absolutely nothing about life, its origin, its purpose, its destiny, and these questions are ONLY answered by the Holy Spirit of God. The only things of substance that mankind will take into Eternity is his knowledge of God; his relationship with God; the things done for God while in the body. This life constrained by Time is NOTHING more than preparation for Eternity. The ONLY reason you and I are constrained by Time is for God's purposes in His struggle with the Evil One and His Plan for Eternity and the Kingdom of God as the faithful are preparing to serve God for Eternity.

King Solomon had every thing life had to offer but said it was all futility and at the end of his life he came to the following conclusion...

Blastcat
    @smoothie ; It is your option to die in Hell. I tried.

Blastcat
    @RickeyD When you talk about the soul, isn't it just the same way then? That the only thing carrying anyone into eternity is other people who live to remember those people and their influence on the world, and not exactly the metaphysical "heaven and hell"?

Under this interpretation, and one I agree with much more than the others, "heaven" is the quality of being remembered well and making a positive change on the world, and "hell" is the quality of being remembered poorly or leaving a negative impact on the world.

I think that all of those questions are complete nonsense, and don't have answers. If they do have answers, then I think it is ridiculous to assume that thousands of years ago people knew these answers when they thought the world was flat and the heart was the center of thoughts.

@RickeyD

I have many flaws, but I am a deeply thinking individual (overthinking has probably been my biggest issue in life, actually, and has held me back on many occasions). I question my most fundamental beliefs every day, and not a single time did I feel the need to seriously consider religious ideas in order to explain something.

You repeating the same few lines is not going to change anything. I am asking you very specific questions, yet you can never give me a straight answer. This is usually a sign that you have not actually thought your position through, otherwise you would not need to constantly dodge my questions and retreat back to your several safe lines you insert in every other comment.

I do not know if Santa exists, but I have no reason to believe he is. Same with souls. I asked you multiple times about the evidence, testable evidence, of souls existing outside of body - and you have not given me anything to go on, except for the old good "just read the Scripture". 

I am not asking you about your beliefs; I do not need your promises; I do not want to hear another single word about the Scripture. I am asking you for very specific information, and you can never give it to me, for whatever reason.
    smoothieBlastcat

1) You presented the "play"....I responded as to the indelible impression same makes upon the mind and the soul.

This has nothing to do with the soul of man that is spirit and exists from Eternity.

2) Heaven and Hell are a reality and both exist in Eternity. Heaven-the Kingdom of God has existed eternally and is the abode of our God. Hell is a created entity and was created by God specifically for Satan and the angles that followed Satan in his attempted coup de taut. Mankind will enter Hell by first climbing directly over the Cross of Jesus Christ.

3) Prior to the ascension of Messiah, the Holy Spirit was not working in the lives of men and woman as He does in the New Covenant. From the Genesis and through the 400-years of silence following Malachi, the Holy Spirit only worked in the lives of specific men and women to prepare them and position them to prepare the way for the coming Messiah who would establish the Covenant of Grace with fallen mankind. Today, the Holy Spirit, in the dispensation of Grace, actually takes up residence within the faithful believer in Jesus Christ and transforms their lives and imparts the secrets of the Kingdom to those willing to listen and pursue this Truth.

Blastcat

All I have to offer you is what I have found to the Truth and what has changed my life forever and guided me in the ways of God, His wisdom, His knowledge, His peace, for the previous 27-years. I offer you God as the off-ramp from a life of futility, waste, hopelessness and meaninglessness. You are headed to a dead-end of nihilism and I'm that old traffic cop who is frantically pointing to the detour in hopes you'll choose life as opposed to driving off the cliff of unbelief and eternal death.

Blastcat
    @RickeyD Just remember, this is a debate site. Not a preaching/conversion site. I hope you one day understand that.

I will still advocate for a fair and logical debate environment. No amount of harassing/bullying/slandering will ever change that.
    why so serious?
    @RickeyD

Once again, I am not asking you about your life story; I am glad that Christianity had such a positive effect on your life. I am asking you for evidence demonstrating that souls can exist outside bodies, which has absolutely nothing to do with religion; it is a purely physical question.

Look, one of the most memorable days of my life was a "date" with a Japanese geisha, in eastern Japan. We had very deep conversations on many different topics, and that was probably the day when I started taking traditions seriously (I thought them useless and outdated until then). I would ask her about many elements of the Japanese culture, of Shintoism, etc., and she always gave me an answer. She would never say, "Oh, just open your mind and go read a book; you will figure it out." No, she would address my questions and concerns, hear out my objections and give a logical response to them. In turn, she was interested in my beliefs and also asked clarifying questions and so on. Our views differed on pretty much everything, yet I was completely smitten by her ability to answer absolutely everything in a satisfying, but also thought-provoking way. I am still, almost 8 years later, processing some of the things she said.
    She also proved to me that love at first sight exists - but I digress.

You appear to be the exact opposite of her: you never respond to my questions, keep reverting back to the same few lines, and blatantly disregard my argumentation, never even addressing the actual points I make.
    This is not how you make a compelling argument; this is how you make people think that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    smoothieBlastcat
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited January 2020

For ****s and giggles: Can Christians be prochoice?

Yes of course they can be pro choice  as the Christian god totally approves of abortion  and actually encourages his subjects to carry  it out in his name ,Christians also should remember that god also out of love for his flock totally approved of his sheep owning people as property as he loves them all deeply.......

Numbers 31:17 (Moses) “Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known man by lying with him.” This includes pregnant women thats .....Abortion 

Hosea 13:16 God promises to dash to pieces the infants of Samaria and the “their women with child shall be ripped up”.  Once again this god kills the unborn, including their pregnant mothers.

2 Kings 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah (aka Tiphsah) to be “ripped open”. 

Blastcat
    @MayCaesar ; Again, what I have to offer is apparently of no interest to you. The secrets of God's Kingdom, the reality of His power and dominion, the Truth of His love and sacrifice, your future and destiny in Eternity, are all explained within the Scriptures as provided by God the Holy Spirit; the one who humbles them self before God and seeks Him with a sincere and desperate desire to know His reality...this person will find God and find the secrets to life's purpose...they will be forgiven of all sin (John 3:16) and they will receive the indwelling Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13) and enter into a relationship with God the Father by grace (unmerited favor) through faith (trusting-believing) in Jesus Christ as Lord. There is NO OTHER WAY for you find meaning, purpose, life (John 14:6).

Blastcat
    @RickeyD Christianity is devoid of meaning or purpose.

If the only purpose of life is to get to heaven by believing in jesus, then what is the purpose in heaven? Is it to get to the after-after life? Then what is the point there? to go to the after-after-after life?

It's turtles all the way down...

At some point, you are going to have to get over your grief of 27 years and admit to yourself what I think you already know deep down inside.

@RickeyD

You are not offering anything to me that I have asked you for. I have asked you for information, for real evidence, not for this Bible newspeak. Your last comment does not even make any sense and seems to be composed of random Christian sentences put together.

What is the evidence of souls existing outside human bodies that I can test in a lab, or find hard data of somewhere for analysis? If the answer is "I do not know", then I have my answer. If the answer is "Just open your mind and read the Bible", then my answer does not change. You do not tell people asking you for an explanation, "Just read the book X"; this is how you show that you have no knowledge on the subject.
    smoothieBlastcat
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020

The purpose of life is to love our Creator and love one another. The goal of life is to find meaning and contentment which are the resultant of knowledge and understanding provided by our Creator through His Spirit. Atheism is a dead-end and provides nothing but hopelessness and the pursuit of that which is ultimately futile.

You and I have been selected by God to engage in a struggle between good and evil, righteousness v. iniquity, truth v. the lie. We are either warriors for our Creator-God or we serve His enemy by default. God has promised those who are faithful to His purposes and His Plan that there is a life in-store that is beyond human comprehension...a life in Eternity that our mind, eyes, heart, cannot fully appreciate while physiologically - cognitively constrained by Time.

I have personally experienced shadows and fragments of this life in my relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that lives within me. I know this joy and I know this peace and I know this contentment and I know this assurance because I have experienced it and I know that life in the Spirit is exponentially superior to life in naturalism.

I am here inviting you to experience a life beyond your wildest imagination...a life that is filled with purpose and a life in Eternity that will be filled with joy, peace, fulfillment, contentment.  Sit, read carefully, diligently, through the "Gospel of John" in the New Testament of the Holy Bible.

smoothieBlastcat
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:

The purpose of life is to love our Creator and love one another. The goal of life is find meaning and contentment which are the resultant of knowledge and understanding provided by our Creator through His Spirit. Atheism is a dead-end and provides nothing but hopelessness and the pursuit of that which is ultimately futile.

You and I have been selected by God to engage in a struggle between good and evil, righteousness v. iniquity, truth v. the lie. We are either warriors for our Creator-God or we serve His enemy by default. God has promised those who are faithful to His purposes and His Plan that there is a life in-store that is beyond human comprehension...a life in Eternity that our mind, eyes, heart, cannot fully appreciate while physiologically - cognitively constrained by Time.

I have personally experienced shadows and fragments of this life in my relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that lives within me. I know this joy and I know this peace and I know this contentment and I know this assurance because I have experienced it and I know that life in the Spirit is exponentially superior to life in naturalism.

I am here inviting you to experience a life beyond your wildest imagination...a life that is filled with purpose and a life in Eternity that will be filled with joy, peace, fulfillment, contentment.  Sit, read carefully, diligently, through the "Gospel of John" in the New Testament of the Holy Bible.

I agree. God comes first, for me. I want to do right, by Him, and love Him, so much. :)
    RickeyD
    Happy_Killbot
    why so serious?
    @smoothie ; I have the answers, you simply refuse to accept them.

Blastcat
    @Dee ; Your quotes from war have nothing to do with murdering babies in the womb today in abortion.

Blastcat
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

*****  ; Your quotes from war have nothing to do with murdering babies in the womb today in abortion. 

Right , so god commanding Abortion during a war is fine .....thanks for clearing that up Rick 
    Blastcat
    @RickeyD If you are after truth, I think you picked the wrong side.

Are god beliefs based on truth or faith?

You don't live in joy of the truth, you live in blissful ignorance of reality.

@Dee ; God did not command an abortion but the elimination of a warrior-pagan people group, a tribe of murderous goons seeking to compromise and destroy the children of Israel and circumvent the Advent of Messiah Yeshua...the Savior to the World.

Blastcat
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD If you are after truth, I think you picked the wrong side.

Are god beliefs based on truth or faith?

You don't live in joy of the truth, you live in blissful ignorance of reality.
    I think the belief in God is based on truth, and faith. I also believe the two can coexist. Who says they can't?
    RickeyD
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyD

You are not offering anything to me that I have asked you for. I have asked you for information, for real evidence, not for this Bible newspeak. Your last comment does not even make any sense and seems to be composed of random Christian sentences put together.

What is the evidence of souls existing outside human bodies that I can test in a lab, or find hard data of somewhere for analysis? If the answer is "I do not know", then I have my answer. If the answer is "Just open your mind and read the Bible", then my answer does not change. You do not tell people asking you for an explanation, "Just read the book X"; this is how you show that you have no knowledge on the subject.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyD

Once again, I am not asking you about your life story; I am glad that Christianity had such a positive effect on your life. I am asking you for evidence demonstrating that souls can exist outside bodies, which has absolutely nothing to do with religion; it is a purely physical question.

Look, one of the most memorable days of my life was a "date" with a Japanese geisha, in eastern Japan. We had very deep conversations on many different topics, and that was probably the day when I started taking traditions seriously (I thought them useless and outdated until then). I would ask her about many elements of the Japanese culture, of Shintoism, etc., and she always gave me an answer. She would never say, "Oh, just open your mind and go read a book; you will figure it out." No, she would address my questions and concerns, hear out my objections and give a logical response to them. In turn, she was interested in my beliefs and also asked clarifying questions and so on. Our views differed on pretty much everything, yet I was completely smitten by her ability to answer absolutely everything in a satisfying, but also thought-provoking way. I am still, almost 8 years later, processing some of the things she said.
    She also proved to me that love at first sight exists - but I digress.

You appear to be the exact opposite of her: you never respond to my questions, keep reverting back to the same few lines, and blatantly disregard my argumentation, never even addressing the actual points I make.
    This is not how you make a compelling argument; this is how you make people think that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyD

I am asking you what this evidence is, and you just keep saying, "It exists in the Scriptures and in life". Imagine if a young kid asks you, "Sir, what is a spoon?" You will not answer with, "The definition of a spoon exists; it is in dictionaries", will you? You will explain what a spoon is. Similarly, you should explain to me what the evidence is, rather than that it exists and where.

I do not have any data to disprove the existence of god and its dominion over me. I also do not have any data to disprove the existence of Santa Claus. Proving non-existence of something is not what we are talking about here; proving existence of that something is.

How do you know that I have never seen or dealt with a T-Rex? What if I tell you that in my prayers I have communicated with T-Rexes on a regular basis? That is about the same argument you are giving me with regards to god.
    smoothie said:
    RickeyD said:
    I've seen far too many bodies absent the spirit...I assure you, that life-force has gone somewhere.

this is unique life from an original blueprint given by God.

God infuses the spirit in the original DNA
    Have you observed this spirit or life-force? Can you prove that the life-force has actually gone somewhere? Can you prove that a spirit exists?

Is there ANY evidence?
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyD

I am not discussing your or my beliefs. I am asking what evidence there is for anything having a soul. You claimed that you have seen many bodies absent a soul, but have you seen souls absent a body? Can we detect these floating souls with some scientific equipment, or are all claims of their existence exist purely in people's heads?

So far it seems that all your claims about souls come down to "I believe...". That is good and all; you can believe in souls, goblins, unicorns, Flying Sexy Potato Monster or whatever else. I am asking about the evidence, not your beliefs, and you have nothing to respond with.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyD

Can you suggest an experiment that allows one to detect a soul existing outside a body? Do animals have souls? What about plants? Inanimate objects? Abstract concepts? What is the evidence of that?

As far as I am concerned, "soul" is a concept made up by ancient philosophers who did not have a good scientific explanation of how life works and prescribed an imaginary concept in the attempt to describe it. Nowadays science has a pretty good idea of how organic life works, and there is no need for imaginary concepts to fill the gaps in our knowledge any more.

Also, stop using quotations from the Bible as evidence. The Bible is just one book, not any more truthful than Lord of the Rings or 50 Shades of Grey. Give me an actual, demonstrable evidence of your claims, rather than vague passages from a book from over two millennia ago.

@RickeyD If you have the truth, then answer the VERY BASIC questions.

You avoid questions and delay so badly you are alike a politician. Maybe consider running for government?
    why so serious?

My belief in God is based on reality and experiential relevance and empiricism. Faith is the "Key" that unlocks the Door to knowledge and understanding. It is faith that is necessary for one to open their eyes to the possibilities of a World much more tangible and relevant than this inferior World constrained by Time. When one is willing to open their heart, mind, eyes, to the possibilities, God then reciprocates with an introduction to knowledge and wisdom through His written word and Living Word, Jesus Christ-Messiah and Lord.

Until one is willing to step-out in faith and pursue God, God will remain an enigma to the unbeliever. My initiating faith came through a diligent read of the Scriptures in a paraphrased format...it was this "stepping-out in faith" that God honored and opened my eyes and my heart to His Truth. The Scriptures are likened to an onion in that as one fervently seeks God's Truth, layer upon layer of Truth is revealed by the Holy Spirit, but you must be willing to step outside the dark-box of Naturalism and pursue God who is faithful...God the Holy Spirit will change your life forever and give you peace, contentment, assurance, knowledge, wisdom, understanding. 

smoothieBlastcat
    @YeshuaBought The two are non-mutually exclusive.

Was there anytime in your life that you believed something, but then latter it turned out to be false? For example a lie or manipulation?

Conversely, was there ever a time in which something you believed was false turned out to be true? Maybe someone telling a fantastic story?

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true, the same way many people deny reality and cling to false beliefs.

In the case of religion, there can only be one basis.

smoothieBlastcat
    @RickeyD What if someone has faith in a different god, say Vishnu or Cthulhu, the way you have faith in jesus?

Complete with experiential relevance and empiricism. When you are willing to open your heart to Vishnu, the possibilities of a world much more tangible and relevant than this inferior world open up. When one is willing to open their hearts and minds to this possibility.

If it is faith that makes it true, then that makes Vishnu or Cthulhu or any other god, gods, or other mythical beings true then.

How do you know you didn't chose the wrong god? After all, the evidence for Cthulhu is laid out very plainly, and then their are the deep sea discoveries and the ancient statues, that pre-date human civilization... FHTAGN!
    smoothie

@RickeyD

I will give you an example of how you answer real questions regarding evidence. When I asked the geisha I mentioned before about the basis behind the idea that stones have souls, she told me how people for centuries would come to the large stones at temples, standing before them, contemplating life and feeling oneness with them, often coming to deep conclusions as a result of this contemplation - and people connected it to stones "speaking to them". When I said that they could be misinterpreting the experience, she agreed, but added something along the lines of, "Traditions do not have to be understood literally; it is the atmosphere surrounding them that matters and has an inherent value". And that led to a very interesting subsequent discussion. Her reasoning was not materialistic, but it was sound in its own right, and frankly I was completely outclassed there in this regard.

You have not offered anything of sorts in this debate. You just kept referring to the scriptures and threatening me with consequences of not following them. You have not even referred to "souls" specifically, even though I asked you about the evidence behind their existence very directly.
    Your answers are not insightful and do not lead to any meaningful discussion. You seem to be trying to avoid having to face my questions head-on. Quite a few religious / folklore-ous people I have talked to chose instead to answer my questions properly, and even when I disagreed with their reasoning, a good discussion would arise from it. Here, I do not see any potential for a discussion, as you keep retreating to the same "read the Bible" line no matter what is said.
    smoothieBlastcat
    @Happy_Killbot ; There is no other Way to life with God the Father but through Jesus Christ as Lord for the mediation of sin. Study and pray and choose the Way the evidence leads you.

Blastcat
    @RickeyD See that's the problem though, the evidence does not lead to Jesus, in fact the evidence suggests that Jesus was not real. Muhammad definitely existed, and so does Cthulhu.

Do you deny, or have you not studied the evidence?

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/c4ts/

@Happy_Killbot ; No one who studies history denies the reality of Jesus. You are free to worship or not worship anyone or anything you desire but to say that the evidence suggests Jesus did not exist is either wilful ignorance or deceit on your part.

Did Jesus Christ really exist? Proving Jesus without the Bible: http://https//beginningandend.com/jesus-exist-historical-evidence-jesus-christ/

Blastcat
    @RickeyD Heretic!

It is better to meet a fast demise in the teeth of Cthulhu than to suffer for eternity.

Even the Bible confirms The existence of the great old one, in Numbers 16.

You will suffer in the clutches of Cthulhu if you do no accept his gracious gift, you live only by his mercy! DO NOT WASTE TIME with false prophets and con-men, the TRUTH is that there is a great power in the depths of the seas, which await the day of reckoning, when he shall awaken and devour humanity. The only escape is to surrender yourself to his jaws and be devoured first, the sweet release of death will be granted only to his most devout followers, the rest shall suffer at his hand!

This is my warning to you, you can meander in your foolish ways and suffer, or you give yourself up to his gaping maw!

@Happy_Killbot ; Sound great. Thanks. Enjoy.

Blastcat
    @RickeyD I'm only telling you because I don't want you to suffer...

You must accept Cthulhu and be devoured to avoid unending torture.

@Happy_Killbot ; Got it...thank you for your love, care, concern, for my soul. Much appreciated.

Blastcat