frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Atheism is a lie of hopelessness in nihilism. Prove me wrong?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar; @piloteer; @SkepticalOne; Personally, you're all fearful and lack knowledge and suffer from an untenable psychosis. You worship at the throne of nihilism-atheism-moral relativism-naturalism yet you and your philosophy cannot explain origin of matter-Time-Life; you can't explain meaning of life; you fail to explain the necessity of morality that has been infused within our heart; you have no clue relevant to destiny upon death of the body. You guess, you make inferences initiated by "men" as fearful and scared and eternally impotent as yourselves; you idolize demons like Dawkins, Harris, Ra, Hitchens, Gervais, while permitting these mindless nitwits to direct you to the portal to Hell.

You refuse to think for yourself and ponder the possibilities that I might just be right and that there is a life and a purpose shouting at us if you will just pursue that purpose in faith with a heart that is willing to believe. But you remain in your impotence, your dark corner of solitude that is actually a prison that will consume you in death and destroy your soul in Hell because you would not approach your Creator, Jesus Christ, His way and seek Him for the answers to the most relevant and important and eternal mysteries of this life. This is spiritual death and a mental illness defined and you guys are an example of the spiritually deceived and hopeless.

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

Ummm, OK. I guess. But it's still not nihilism.   
    Plaffelvohfen
    @piloteer ; When you reject meaning and purpose and life and understanding by rejecting our Creator, you're a nihilist and you're existing in impotence and futility and meaninglessness and you will die in same.

Plaffelvohfen
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    @piloteer ; When you reject meaning and purpose and life and understanding by rejecting our Creator, you're a nihilist and you're existing in impotence and futility and meaninglessness and you will die in same.

@RickeyD

What if I only reject what you consider our "creator", but still embrace a meaning and purpose for my life? You seem to be having trouble with that. To be nihilistic means to reject any purpose. Atheism is not a rejection of meaning or purpose. It's just a rejection of eating fish on good Friday.  
    @piloteer ; Atheism is a rejection of reason and commonsense. Even a child can stare at a clear nights sky and discern design and therefore a mandated Designer. Atheism is truly a facade and does not exist...the self-proclaimed "atheist" is a for they intuitively know that our Creator exists and God has placed this reality in their heart. Atheism is nihilism and you're a nihilist whether or not you have the sensibilities to own it.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6082 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @RickeyD

You put this sentence, "untenable psychosis", into every third comment of yours or so. Time to update the vocabulary, perhaps? You really are starting to look like a bot.

How come we refuse to think for ourselves, when you are the only one here telling everyone that your view is the only right one, while everyone else tells you that there are many valid world views out there? You are basically a cultist telling everyone not following your small cult that they need to wake up. Try to put yourself in our shoes and see how you look from this perspective.

I do not see much of solitude in my life. Projecting much? I can see why many people would not want to interact with you in real life, but that is not a reason to assume that this is the case for everyone.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6082 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

I do not think he reads the comments he responds to... As always, his response to you had nothing to do with your question.

The bot needs some improvement!
    piloteer
    @MayCaesar ; The Scriptures are the ONLY correct view...not yours...atheism provides nothing but hopelessness. The atheist has no purpose, no meaning...just the pursuit of pleasing neurons and base-urges then they die...for what? This is an untenable psychosis in nihilism. A useless and impotent life in Time and Eternity.

@piloteer ;

The philosophy of despair is also called “nihilism” – a label made popular by Nietzsche.

Nihilism logically rests on the proposition that ultimately the world is meaningless. Nihilism also necessitates belief in atheism.

Nihilism (as atheism) logically flows from faith in blind evolutionary development and the necessary conclusions that history is random, life is absurd and everything is meaningless.

Advances in science and technology can lure people to believe that we can close the windows to everything beyond the visible and tangible universe.

But do we really believe it?

So many today operate as naive recipients of the reigning viewpoint of the academy. This is the notion that the physical, material universe is all there is, was, or ever will be. The only real world (we’ve been told) is the world of the five senses.

This is a worldview with different labels (physicalism, philosophical naturalism, scientism, and secularism). In this kind of world, the ceiling is in place (sealed and secured); the windows are shut and the blinds have been pulled. We’re locked into a world without transcendence, mystery, and especially, without God.

Yet those who hold to this notion battle intuitive recognitions and intrinsic yearnings they cannot explain nor escape.

Why is there something rather than nothing? Why should I care to find meaning outside of survival? Is morality nothing more than alternative choices based on personal preferences? If he says peace is better than war or love better than hate; is it like saying chocolate is better than vanilla?  Are there no real evils, just violations of human customs or conventions? How hard it would be to think of murderers as merely having bad manners. But why should he think of it differently? 

Are we humans simply products of blind chance operating on the primordial ooze and differing from animals by only a few genes? If so, the wonders of human achievement and the moral dignity we ascribe to human beings just doesn’t fit the claim that we are no different from the animals. The realities of human creativity, love, reason, and moral value seem to indicate that humans are creatures of unique distinction. What accounts for this?

https://thinkpoint.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/does-atheism-require-nihilism/

@piloteer 1) If theism is true, then we have a solid basis for morality.
    2) If theism is false, then we do not have a solid basis for morality.

If 2 is true, then atheism does not lead to humanism (as Kurtz thinks), but to nihilism. Craig says: "If theism is false, you've got to ask yourself, Why wouldn't nihilism be true? What proof do you have that nihilism is not the correct remaining alternative?" (44)

If atheism is true it follows that humans are "just animals, and animals have no moral obligations to one another." (32) Craig quotes ethicist Richard Taylor, who invites us to imagine humans who live in a state of nature without any customs or laws, and one of them kills another and takes his property. Taylor writes:

"Such actions, though injurious to their victims, are no more unjust or immoral than they would be if done by one animal to another. A hawk that seizes a fish from the sea kills it, but does not murder it; and another hawk that seizes the fish from the talons of the first takes it, but does not steal it - for none of these things is forbidden. And exactly the same considerations apply to the people we are imagining." (32)

If atheism is true, it's hard for me to see that nihilism is not true.

This is not an argument for either theism or atheism. It is to present a hypothetical situation, with logical entailments. It is to argue against the rationality of moral obligation under atheistic humanism. 

Finally it is not, as Craig so often tells us, to say that an atheist cannot act morally. Craig's point is about moral ontology, not moral behavior or moral epistemology. With these things in mind we can make sense of a statement like this:

Craig: "Thus, if atheism is true, it becomes impossible to condemn war, oppression, or crime as evil. Nor can one praise brotherhood, equality, or love as good. It doesn't matter what you do - for there is no right and wrong; good and evil does not exist." (33)  https://www.johnpiippo.com/2010/04/atheism-leads-to-nihilism.html

@RickeyD

Of course, sir. Only you are flying in the clouds, reading poetry in a circle of elven druids and dancing with angels under the moon. Everyone else just eats, drinks and sleeps and has nothing more going on for them in life.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

Hope is a lie, a mistaken dream, or a wish for a different outcome. Hope betrays the rebel within us and embraces complacency that a deus ex machina will arrive to rescue us. Hope sees us waiting, lost in a dream of our own invention, hands clasped in prayer and longing, immobilized and impotent, incapable of true action or genuine thought. 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @Plaffelvohfen; @MayCaesar; @Piloteer;  Simply because you adhere to the foolishness of nihilism in your rebellion, you sexual perversion and fear of Truth does not negate the truism that there is a life of abundance and freedom and peace and contentment in the knowledge of our Creator and His will for our life. You have opted for impotency and I have opted for reality...a reality that is replete with knowledge, wisdom, contentment, understanding, of a World that you know nothing about. You have opted for uselessness and meaninglessness in this life in Time and in Eternity...you are therefore a metastasizing boil on the backside of society in your atheism. Atheists are to be loathed and shunned in their defeatism. Atheists have no place in a society that seeks sustainable norms, mores, values, essential for a healthy, hopeful and happy people.

Plaffelvohfen
  • @RickeyD

Personally, you're all fearful and lack knowledge and suffer from an untenable psychosis. 

I appreciate that you acknowledge this is your personal view now. Your honesty is appreciated.

FWIW, it takes courage to admit ignorance. It is safe (and lazy) to hold to absolute certainty. After all, learning new things requires an "I don't know"...and that can be terrifying where knowledge contradicts our sacred ignorances.

A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
    @SkepticalOne ; You are a contradiction to reality, commonsense, logic and reason as you are an atheist existing within Time and representing the Evil in our World. You have chosen impotency and I know you and yours, your father, and the futility of your existence in Time. You are darkness and atheism represents the cancer in man's soul leading to death in sin and death in Hell in hopelessness.

Plaffelvohfen
    @RickeyD

You are a contradiction to reality, commonsense, logic and reason and are just inconsequential white noise... A  self-enslaved lunatic demanding that free people be chained too... You are the one refusing Truth because your hopelessly feeble mind can't handle it... Pathetically weak and totally deserving of ridicule and contempt, which I'm more than happy to provide...
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    double-post

@Plaffelvohfen ; You believe that because your father is Satan...this is a natural response from a child of darkness who is existing in sexual perversion, arrogance, spiritual ignorance.

@RickeyD

Arrogance is your failing, not mine... Your herd of sheep is rapidly fading out of existence and there's nothing you can do about it... I just enjoy watching pathetic losers like you go deeper and deeper into full blown psychosis... There is something entertaining about pathetic people like you... 
    @Plaffelvohfen ; I walked in the World that is killing you for far too long...you have no clue...you're dead spiritually...you're to be pitied. Without Jesus Christ as your Lord to mediate your sin, you have no hope in atheism.

• @RickeyD

You have chosen impotency.

I have accepted reality. We don't know everything and have ignorance on many subjects. Denying this is motivated by the fear you accuse me of. 

Plaffelvohfen
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • @RickeyD

The Scriptures are the ONLY correct view

...because they say so. This is the circular reasoning mentioned previously. 

Plaffelvohfen
    RickeyD said:
    @Plaffelvohfen ; I walked in the World that is killing you for far too long...

Any chance of you leaving it soon? I'll be waiting to celebrate that departure...
    @Plaffelvohfen ; Of course you would, you celebrate the attributes of your father. This is atheism.

Plaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    @MayCaesar ; We're all "flawed." (Romans 3:23) The difference is, you're too arrogant and prideful to acknowledge God and seek His righteousness and healing over your life. It is the reverence and respect for our Lord that brings knowledge and wisdom...it is the fool that rejects God's word and His instruction.

"Fools despise wisdom and instruction." I LOVE science and the instruction it gives. Apparently, we are fools no matter which way we believe since, under your religion, we must throw out "certain knowledge and wisdom" and follow the OTHER "certain knowledge and wisdom". SHEESH!

I think Galileo had it right when he said: " I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use."  How can you ignore the sense, reason and intellect you feel a "god" has endowed you with?? You seem to despise wisdom and instruction, and instead are "obliged" to follow ancient mythology. It is SCIENCE that brings knowledge and wisdom every day, every year, not some dusty old book that gets "interpreted" differently, every day, every year.

By the way. I never knew my father, but, I haven't developed any horns on my head so, I guess I don't take after him. o:)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 408 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

this is u

me

“The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius
    @JGXdebatePRO ; Without Jesus Christ as your Lord to mediate your sin, you will die in sin and die in Hell without hope...this is "chill."

Plaffelvohfen
    @RickeyD

Without Noodly as your Lord to mediate your sauce, you will die dry and there is no hope...

FSM.jpg 78.8K
    @RickeyD

I thought your beloved Jesus said that everyone is to be loved and forgiven, and to be welcomed in society. But then, of course, your religion has nothing to do with him, so I am not surprised that you do not champion that message.

I think that there is a place for religious people in this society, and I do not think less of someone for being religious. I guess I am more aligned with Jesus than many Christians, curiously!
    SkepticalOne