frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

should we search for aliens?

Debate Information

Considering the vastness of the universe; there is almost bound to be intelligence life out there. However, should we actively search for it?  What are the pros and cons for finding them? Well, the cons are they may be very hostile to us. another is they could bring diseases that we have no immunity for; similar to what the Europeans brought the American Indians. Of course, they also could give us information and higher technology. So, should we do our best to find them, or wait till we are more advanced; and what other pros and cons do you thing finding them may incur? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

We have been doing so for last 80 years, programs dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) have worked tirelessly searching for cosmic “hellos” in the form of radio signals.

The reason we think any intelligent life would communicate via radio waves is due to the waves’ ability to travel vast distances through space, rarely interacting with the dust and gas in between stars. If anything out there is trying to communicate, it’s a pretty fair bet they would do it through radio waves.
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    I understand that; yet there may be a time when physical interaction may occur. the topic is should we, and what are the pros and cons other than what i outlined? @Dee
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: More Pros And Considerations

The following response was enhanced by a chatbot:

The question of whether humans should try to contact aliens is an interesting and complex one, with no definitive answer. Ultimately the decision depends on our values, our understanding of the universe, and our assessment of the risks and rewards.

Pros:

• Scientific advancement: Contact with an alien civilization could revolutionize our understanding of the universe, providing insights into physics, biology, and other fields that we could never achieve on our own.
    • Cultural exchange: Learning from a different civilization could enrich our own, offering new perspectives on art, language, music, and societal structures.
    • Universal brotherhood: We could potentially join a larger galactic community and work together to address common challenges, such as interstellar travel or threats to all life.  Imagine a united galactic effort to explore the universe.
    • Expanding our definition of intelligence and life: Discovering alien life forms may challenge our current definitions of intelligence and life itself. It could force us to rethink our anthropocentric biases and open our minds to the possibility of life existing in forms we never imagined. This broadened perspective could have profound implications for our understanding of consciousness, ethics, and our place in the universe.
    • Understanding our own origins: Learning about the evolution and history of another civilization could offer new insights into our own past and shed light on the potential trajectories of human development. Studying alien biology and culture could help us answer fundamental questions about consciousness, intelligence, and the ultimate purpose of life.
    • Inspiration and motivation: Encountering another intelligent species could reignite our sense of wonder about the universe and inspire future generations to explore, invent, and push the boundaries of human knowledge. The possibility of learning from and interacting with alien life could provide a powerful motivator for societal advancement.

Important Considerations:

• Developing ethical guidelines: Before attempting contact, we need to establish clear ethical frameworks to guide our interactions with potentially intelligent life forms.
    • International cooperation: Any effort to contact aliens should be a global endeavor, ensuring all nations have a say in the process and the risks and rewards are shared.
    • Prioritizing our own planet: While seeking out alien life, we must not neglect our responsibilities to Earth and its inhabitants. Protecting our planet's biodiversity and ensuring the well-being of all living things should remain our top priority.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to contact aliens is one that humanity must make together, through careful consideration, open dialogue, and a commitment to responsible action. As Carl Sagan famously said, "If we wait until we understand everything before we try anything, we will never do anything." But we must also understand the potential risks and ensure that any attempt at contact is done with prudence and deep respect for the unknown.

For what it's worth, I vote for contact.

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    correct, those are all pros for doing so, i guess in your idea, the pros outweigh the cons   this topic has been hotly debated for years even among scientists. Myself, i believe we should wait; at least until we solve more of the issues we have here on earth, as well until our technology is much better prepared.  Even if these aliens are friendly and carry no health threat to humans; just the contact alone may send our world into turmoil.  What revelations and ideas they may give us could shake the very foundations of our culture.  will you ask the bot again, but word it differently, ask if the pros out weigh the cons. I have my own bot, however i have it engaged in another matter. Thanks for the decent reply. @JulesKorngold
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: No Need

@maxx
    There's no need to ask the bot.  I think the pros outweigh the cons:  I vote for contact.
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -   edited December 2023

Hello maxx:

In our own galaxy, there's at least 500 million habitable planets.  Given that number, I'd say there's THOUSANDS of 'em with life...  

Plus, there's at least 500 million galaxy's in the universe, I'd say there's TRILLIONS of planets with life..

excon
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    well yeah, i know that, but that's not what the post asked.  :)@jack
    excon
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    very well, i accept that; however it would be a good idea to read what some scientists say about  the cons; just to keep an open mind. @JulesKorngold
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -  
    Now as a person of faith I have no problem in believing in beings from another dimension - such as angels or demons.  And there is nothing in my faith that precludes the existence of aliens.  However, I would argue the evidence is against there being aliens out there.  The fermi paradox kind of sums up some of the issues:
    1. There are billions of stars in the universe
    2. Many have earth like planets in habitual zones
    3. Many of these stars are billions of years older than our sun
    4. Since there are so many stars older than our own - if alien life existed, it would have developed billions of years earlier than our own
    5. Even at a slow pace, interstellar travel would permit traveling from one side of the Milky Way galaxy to another within a few million years
    6. And hence we should have already been visited by aliens many many times by now
    7. But we haven't - so there aren't aliens

If one took a good look at where we are in the milky way, you would see we are basically in the "back woods". another point is we simply do not know if we have not been visited in our ancient past. Your point of many stars being so much older than ours, does not mean these civilizations are more advanced, or even that they may no longer exist.  The center of our milky way alone is 25000 light years away; meaning if an advanced civilization were even capable of light speed, it would take 25000 years to reach us. the nearest large galaxy to us is over 2.5 million light years away. That is at the speed of light. There are billions of galaxies in the universe; so no, saying we should have been visited by now is not exactly correct.  Even at half light speed, if they were able to do so, it would take the nearest galaxy 5 million years to get here. If i am wrong on my math, someone correct me. The edge of the "observable universe" in which we can detect, is about 47 BILLION light years away. So come on; we are talking about galaxies, not solar systems, where there may be life like planets. It has been calculated that there are a trillion trillion solar systems in the known universe; so it is almost impossible to believe we are the only life form. @just_sayin
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    maxx said:
    If one took a good look at where we are in the milky way, you would see we are basically in the "back woods". another point is we simply do not know if we have not been visited in our ancient past. Your point of many stars being so much older than ours, does not mean these civilizations are more advanced, or even that they may no longer exist.  The center of our milky way alone is 25000 light years away; meaning if an advanced civilization were even capable of light speed, it would take 25000 years to reach us. the nearest large galaxy to us is over 2.5 million light years away. That is at the speed of light. There are billions of galaxies in the universe; so no, saying we should have been visited by now is not exactly correct.  Even at half light speed, if they were able to do so, it would take the nearest galaxy 5 million years to get here. If i am wrong on my math, someone correct me. The edge of the "observable universe" in which we can detect, is about 47 BILLION light years away. So come on; we are talking about galaxies, not solar systems, where there may be life like planets. It has been calculated that there are around a trillion trillion solar systems in the know universe. It is almost impossible to believe we on earth are the only life forms. @just_sayin
    @Maxx be like

And I, after looking at the evidence can say

Other solar systems have had many billions of years head start on us.  If there were aliens they would be here by now.  You want me to believe that aliens are here, but only show themselves to people high on drugs or who own cameras that take blurry pictures.  That's a horribly weak argument.

You can't believe in God even with the evidence of a finely tuned universe, but you believe that little green men traveled across the universe just so they could make crop circles in a field owned by a farmer whose missing his front tooth.    
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    well you are making little sense. It is obvious due to the pictures and the reference to "little green men", that you consider the whole idea a joke. I am not saying that they are here on earth,  but science says there is a 75 percent chance of life in the universe. It is almost impossible to not believe out of trillions and trillions of planets, there are not any with out life. What sense does that make? Aside from all that and with respect to your beliefs, this post is not even about IF there is life elsewhere; this post is based upon the assumption of it, and we are discussing the pros and cons of actual contact with them. @just_sayin
    maxx said:
    well you are making little sense. It is obvious due to the pictures and the reference to "little green men", that you consider the whole idea a joke. I am not saying that they are here on earth,  but science says there is a 75 percent chance of life in the universe. It is almost impossible to not believe out of trillions and trillions of planets, there are not any with out life. What sense does that make? Aside from all that and with respect to your beliefs, this post is not even about IF there is life elsewhere; this post is based upon the assumption of it, and we are discussing the pros and cons of actual contact with them. @just_sayin
    @Maxx, I am just having fun.  I do think the fermi argument has validity.  Further, I think the complexity of even the simplest life form is further evidence that it is unlikely that there is alien life, especially intelligent alien life.  The number of biological 'miracles' are many that would need to happen, and numerous scientists have been spending billions for many decades here and we haven't figured out how to create life.  
    well perhaps you are correct, no one knows of yet; however the fermi paradox was not even created by fermi. The main idea of it rests upon, since there are so many older suns then we should have been visited by now. First I ask a question based on that statement. Why? Why should have they visited us? There would be more to do in the galactic hub alone to keep them busy for millions of years, and that is just in our galaxy. Another thing is, just because they might be an older civilization, does not equal that they are so technologically advanced to even have travel between the stars; correct? In fact, such travel may not even be feasible at all considering the distances involved. Take a look at voyager 1; it took about 50 years to make it out of our own solar system.  Then it needs another 300 years to reach the ort cloud and it could take another half a million years to reach the nearest star.  Space travel, even with those more advanced than us, may not be feasible, or worth the time to reach us.  I also ask why you do not believe that there are no planets other than ours for hosting life. We have already found water and ice in our own solar system, and out of countless planets in the universe, there must be many in the goldilocks position. Are we alone in the universe? Revisiting the Drake equation – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System (nasa.gov)   One thing i do ask and i hesitate to, for i do not wish religion to be involved in this topic; is your reasoning based more on your faith instead of logical ideas? @just_sayin
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    maxx said:

but that's not what the post asked.
    Hello maxx:

You answer debates your way, and I'll answer 'em my way..  Are we clear?

excon
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 962 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    maxx said:
    well perhaps you are correct, no one knows of yet; however the fermi paradox was not even created by fermi. The main idea of it rests upon, since there are so many older suns then we should have been visited by now. First I ask a question based on that statement. Why? Why should have they visited us? There would be more to do in the galactic hub alone to keep them busy for millions of years, and that is just in our galaxy. Another thing is, just because they might be an older civilization, does not equal that they are so technologically advanced to even have travel between the stars; correct? In fact, such travel may not even be feasible at all considering the distances involved. Take a look at voyager 1; it took about 50 years to make it out of our own solar system.  Then it needs another 300 years to reach the ort cloud and it could take another half a million years to reach the nearest star.  Space travel, even with those more advanced than us, may not be feasible, or worth the time to reach us.  I also ask why you do not believe that there are no planets other than ours for hosting life. We have already found water and ice in our own solar system, and out of countless planets in the universe, there must be many in the goldilocks position. Are we alone in the universe? Revisiting the Drake equation – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System (nasa.gov)   One thing i do ask and i hesitate to, for i do not wish religion to be involved in this topic; is your reasoning based more on your faith instead of logical ideas? @just_sayin
    As I stated earlier, my faith doesn't really take a position on aliens other than angels and demons, which I would deem more other worldly or other dimensional, but not aliens. 

I think the same data you would use to conclude that their are aliens - that there are trillions of stars, and habitable planets, and most are older than our star - I see as the death knell of your argument.  If trillions of stars were around many billions of years before our star was, then it would logically follow if life started on other planets, it probably started before life on earth did.  And if alien races had billions of years of a head start on us, then it seems logical that they would have arrived by now.  The vast number of opportunities for space aliens from the trillions of stars - may be referenced by you in support of your theory, but it is also a devastating blow against it.  

You seem to think that intergalactic space travel is too big of a problem to address, even over billions of years of time and technological development.  Tell me, have there been any technological advancements in your lifetime?  I'm probably not as old as you, but I see advances in technology everyday that weren't even possible just a decade ago.  Remember that the first automobile was made in 1886.  By 1969 we had landed on the moon.  That's a lot of progress in less than a hundred years. Do you really think billions of years of a technological head start would not result in some means of space travel - which we started in less than a hundred years after the first automobile?
    For one thing, we may not be easy at all to find> we are very small. I am sure that you know that and may even think you understand the vastness of the universe. But do you really? I would appreciate it if you would engage me here and watch this short simulation. Mind Blowing! ...Earth Compared To The Rest Of The Universe - Amazing Graphic Presentation - YouTube  It may be impossible for anyone to even know we are here.  and that simulation hardly even shows but a small patch of the universe. @just_sayin
    i could clear less.  if you want to call a shoe, a soup spoon fine by me; however it is not proper debate, now is it? After all, it is my topic, my post, and my debate, and coming here just to change it on me  is plain ridiculous. If you wish to create your own debate on if there are aliens, then go for it.  @jack
  • BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @maxx ;After all, it is my topic, my post, and my debate, and coming here just to change it on me  is plain ridiculous.

Who are you to say that peace of crap. God or something? You don’t own this site and you don’t own the topics. It’s a public forum and members have a right to comment however they choose not how you choose. Don’t you reckon?

coming onto a topic, either to change it, or to insult others is ridiculous.  I made the debate, my topic, and the own sites rules state one must follow the topic. If anyone disagrees, look it up in the sites terms rules and agreements.  If a person wishes to discuss something else, they can make their own debate. @Barnardot
  • jackjack 459 Pts   -  
    maxx said:

After all, it is my topic, my post, and my debate, and coming here just to change it on me  is plain ridiculous.

Hello maxx:

Oh..  Poor fella..  Gonna pick up your marbles and go home, huh?  DU*DE!

excon

maxx said:
    @Maxx, I am willing to be persuaded that aliens are out there.  One issue I have is just how hard is it to create life.  So far, scientists who have been intentionally trying to create life have failed to do so.  There are lots of problems left to solve, and especially if you are talking about complex intelligent life.  There are a lot of 'miracles' of science that have to be explained before we can even predict how frequently life occurs in the universe.  Thus far, the evidence seems to suggest that it is very improbable - to a degree that it seems unlikely that it would happen multiple times.  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    In order to search for something, one has to have an idea of what that something is. Currently all alien search programs operate under the assumption that the alien life is going to be extremely similar to life on Earth, to the point of the planet having virtually identical chemical composition, the exact same evolutionary path taking place... In addition to there being no quantitative theories allowing one to estimate the probability of this existing in the proximity of the Solar system, it is very much possible that life on Earth is extremely unique and the majority of life in the Universe looks nothing like us.

It would be much more fruitful to invest in 1) colonization of other planets and celestial bodies, and later, other star systems, and 2) synthesis of new life forms here on Earth. Not only do these ventures, unlike the search for aliens, promise extreme payoff in the foreseeable future, but they will also allow us to better understand how life originates and in what conditions it can survive, thrive and evolve - and that will eventually allow us to develop reasonable theories of abiogenesis and astrobiology and then perform a more promising search.
    ZeusAres42
    the post is not about the search, or if there are aliens out there; it is about should we contact them due to the pros and cons. I don't understand. the topic is clear and concise and you are the third one to change it.  @MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @maxx

The thread called "should we search for aliens?" is not about the search? Interesting.
    ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    so you only read the title and not the rest of it? Also "should" is not asking if there are aliens out there. the title goes with the rest of my post. @MayCaesar
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2763 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    MayCaesar said:
    @maxx

The thread called "should we search for aliens?" is not about the search? Interesting.

@MayCaesar

Exactly, it's about shoulds and musts but only shoulds and musts; everything else is off-limits. ;)
    MayCaesarDee

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

***Also "should" is not asking if there are aliens out there. the title goes with the rest of my post. @MayCaesar***

ARGUMENT TOPIC : Maxx as usual asks 4 times in his heading " should " but that not what he means at all ...it's so Maxx isn't it?

should we search for aliens?

However, should we actively search for it?  

should we do our best to find them ?

the topic is should we,

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    if you guys dont want to debate the topic on the pros and cons of contacting aliens, then go elsewhere. If you want to debate on if there are aliens out there. then create your own post.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

if you guys dont want to debate the topic on the pros and cons of contacting aliens, then go elsewhere. If you want to debate on if there are aliens out there. then create your own post.

Well hopefully you're not the first line of communication with aliens as they would turn back scratching their heads at trying to decipher what you're really trying to say as opposed to what you think you've said.
    MayCaesarZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    @maxx

I was directly answering your question on whether humanity should actively search for aliens. The probability of existence of aliens was an essential part of my answer, for practicality of searching for something is directly tied to the probability of success of the search.

It seems that any, however well-intentioned, attempt to interact with you results in you being an arse. Any particular reasons for you choosing to act this way?
    ZeusAres42Dee
    if you would read the entire topic, i am asking "if" we should and the pros and cons for  doing so. @MayCaesar
  • maxx said:
    if you would read the entire topic, i am asking "if" we should and the pros and cons for  doing so. @MayCaesar
    @maxx

If you would read MayCaesar response that is exactly what he did! 
    Dee

@Maxx
    I misunderstood what you were wanting to debate.  Let's assume that aliens do exist.  Do we announce our existence or go looking for them?  I would say, not until we can leave this planet for another one quickly and efficiently.  While it would be great to meet another race of beings, the negative impacts currently outweigh the benefits.  We have no way of knowing if they are benevolent or malevolent.  We currently don't have the ability to travel to another solar system, as the imagined alien race does.  Therefore, we can't reciprocate an attack against them, or flee from the planet.  We are in a vulnerable position, dependent upon their benevolence.  Maybe at a future time, when we have progressed more in our technological advances visiting aliens would be more logical, but I don't think it is now.
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    I do agree; i think the cons outweigh the pros; unless we are sure of their intentions, we should wait. @just_sayin
    no, he failed to debate the topic on the pros and cons on if we should find aliens; like everyone else, he jumped to conclusions as to what the topic is about. I can understand that some of the others on here will hem and haw about saying I wrote the post wrong, or it meant something else, but generally may would admit it and perhaps debate about it. As for you, you did neither; you simply left a comment that has no regard to the topic. @ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    wow, taking lessons from dee in insults, or have you been hitting the bottle again? how about just debating instead? @jack
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    wow, taking lessons from dee in insults, or have you been hitting the bottle again? how about just debating instead?

Anytime I mention you I accurately describe you,  your lack of self awareness leads you to think  I'm insulting you when I'm merely describing you.

No one has a clue what your debate is about but according to you that's everyone's fault but yours ,is the penny dropping yet?
    @jack@maxx
    maxx said:
    This was your response to:
    MayCaesar said:
    @maxx

I was directly answering your question on whether humanity should actively search for aliens. The probability of existence of aliens was an essential part of my answer, for practicality of searching for something is directly tied to the probability of success of the search.

It seems that any, however well-intentioned, attempt to interact with you results in you being an arse. Any particular reasons for you choosing to act this way?

Is the confusion caused by me using word "whether" in place of "if" in this sentence? Is it only allowed to be "if" here?
    ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    everyone here trying for the next troll award or something? Read  the   entire   post!  Do you think we should search for aliens, and if so; what ate the pros and cons of doing so. Doy you think the pros outweigh the cons?  @MayCaesar
    ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    Considering the vastness of the universe; there is almost bound to be intelligence life out there. However, should we actively search for it?  What are the pros and cons for finding them? Well, the cons are they may be very hostile to us. another is they could bring diseases that we have no immunity for; similar to what the Europeans brought the American Indians. Of course, they also could give us information and higher technology. So, should we do our best to find them, or wait till we are more advanced; and what other pros and cons do you thing finding them may incur? 

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    just read the entire debate; and there is no confusion. @Dee
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2763 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    maxx said:
    everyone here trying for the next troll award or something? Read  the   entire   post!  Do you think we should search for aliens, and if so; what ate the pros and cons of doing so. Doy you think the pros outweigh the cons?  @MayCaesar
    From ChatGPT to the rescue

Original Excerpt Recap

• Topic: The feasibility and implications of actively searching for extraterrestrial intelligence.
    • Discussion Points: Risks (hostility, diseases) and benefits (knowledge, technology) of encountering extraterrestrial life.
    • Question: Whether humanity should actively search for extraterrestrial intelligence now or wait until more advanced.

Added Response Analysis

• Content: This response argues that current alien search programs assume extraterrestrial life is similar to life on Earth, which may not be the case. It suggests that humanity should focus on colonizing other planets and synthesizing new life forms on Earth to better understand life's origins and conditions for thriving. This, in turn, could lead to more informed theories about life elsewhere in the universe.
    • Relevance: The response is highly relevant as it addresses the core subject of searching for extraterrestrial life. It provides a different perspective, focusing on the limitations of current search methods and proposing alternative strategies.
    • Argument: The response presents a logical argument by critiquing the assumptions behind current search methods and suggesting more immediate and potentially fruitful scientific endeavors.
    • Answering the Question: The response indirectly answers the question. Instead of directly stating whether we should search for extraterrestrial life, it implies that our current approach may be misguided and that other scientific pursuits might be more beneficial in the short term and more effective in the long run for understanding extraterrestrial life.

Conclusion

• Relevance: The response is highly relevant to the discussion. It provides a thoughtful critique of current extraterrestrial search strategies and suggests alternative paths that could ultimately aid in our understanding of life in the universe.
    • Answering the Question: While it doesn't give a direct yes or no to whether we should search for extraterrestrial life, it offers a nuanced view that enriches the debate. It suggests that before actively searching for extraterrestrial intelligence, we might need to broaden our understanding of life itself, which is a valid and relevant point in the context of the discussion.
    You're welcome. 

MayCaesar

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    very nice. I am sure if there are aliens out there, who may be more advanced, would hardly give us the keys to the universe so to speak; it would be self defeating to give us as much technology and knowledge that they have. The unfortunate part of contacting them, or they us; is we have no way of predicting their intentions. So i agree, that we should wait until we are in better shape in regard to the ability to take care of our world, and perhaps have better space travel. @ZeusAres42
    maxx said:
    very nice. I am sure if there are aliens out there, who may be more advanced, would hardly give us the keys to the universe so to speak; it would be self defeating to give us as much technology and knowledge that they have. The unfortunate part of contacting them, or they us; is we have no way of predicting their intentions. So i agree, that we should wait until we are in better shape in regard to the ability to take care of our world, and perhaps have better space travel. @ZeusAres42

That was @MayCaesar argument btw. Not mine. I just got chatGPT to analyze and explain the relevance of what May said which was highly relevant as stated.

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    well, i think regardless we should not look for them at this point in earths history. If they are anywhere at all like humans; it would probably be a mistake, considering our own behavior.  @ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    you may be correct; however compared to the rest of the universe, we hardly even exist. @just_sayin
    maxx said:
    I think it is only you, bruh. ;) That is precisely what I did: explained why I do not think that we should search for aliens and that the cons of undertaking such a search outweigh the pros and why.

I do not like telling people ugly things to their face, but, frankly, @maxx, you are an awful debater. You just stubbornly refuse to read anything: people will carefully craft their thoughtful responses, and you will just ignore everything, say for the Nth time the exact same thing you said before, and wait for the next opportunity to lash at your opponent.

I am only engaging in these conversations to practice staying cool when talking to difficult people - skill extremely important in many areas of life. The intellectual value of these conversations tends to be 0, because I am essentially talking to an *.mp3 file playing the same song over and over regardless of what I say.
    Joeseph
  • We need to search for alien life, the why is simple. It is a potential biological threat a type of organism that thrives on earth that is not from earth can mean the end of humanity.
    I assume you believe that the pros out weigh the cons? Very well. If so, that would only assume the fact that they would be friendly and were willing to teach us, or give us knowledge. That begs the question on how would we know they would be friendly; for the cons in finding out wrong would be possible disaster for us; do you not agree to that? In other words, you believe the potential knowledge we might gain; just knowing what kind of biological and psychological make up that they have will help us regardless of any threat that they may pose? @MayCaesar