frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

If you believed God asked you to kill someone would you do it?

Debate Information

If you believed God asked you to kill someone would you do it?

Let's just suppose you are a devoted religious person who believes in God. Not just a little bit but you believe with all your heart and mind, and that you would do anything for God to go heaven, etc. Then given that imagine one day God came to you one day and you believed with all your heart and faith this was God.

Now suppose he said to you "I have come here and chosen you. If you want to prove how devoted to me you are then I command you to one night go out and find a family and kill every one of them with a Knife in each of their chests."

Now the question is would you do it? I am interested in hearing what religious people have to say about this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 Well yes there is a high chance that yes I would and it has happened a lot and will continue to happen. You just need to look at Jim Jones who believed that God told him to knock off a 1000 followers.

It would be hard to work out weather a non religious psych path would be less inclined to kill some one because they also hear voices in there heads and it is not necessary God.
    But lets consider the how God is actually used by manipulators to make people kill. For example what about the Muslim extreamist groups who radicalize kids to go and put on a vest and kill people. How do they get these exstreamists to do it? They use religion and ram the belief down these kids throats so hard that they feel excited to do it. Take away the God part of it and it would be very hard to convince these kids to kill and kill them selves.
    FactfinderZeusAres42
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 828 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42
    The film "Frailty" deals with this issue.  I highly recommend it.
    ZeusAres42
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    A Christian wouldn't, a Muslim would.  
    InterstellarFairyFactfinderZeusAres42elijah44
    Bogan said:
    How do you explain the Crusades and the Inquisition?
    ZeusAres42
    @Bogan And what fake stup id lieing evidence are you going to support that insulting offensive statement this time? Like what badly spelled out of focus made up newspaper article are you going to find and what exstream spam site are you going to get it from ?
  • JoesephJoeseph 698 Pts   -  
    @Barnardot

Cheer up mate , you're in a right ole temper , try some deep breaths and maybe go for a long walk on a short pier ....would work wonders.
    ZeusAres42
  • Bogan said:
    I'm calling No True Scotsman on this one. If you have any other reason for such a blatantly inaccurate statement, then please do elaborate.
    ZeusAres42
  • PutinPutin 106 Pts   -  
    Bogan said:
    I'm calling No True Scotsman on this one. If you have any other reason for such a blatantly inaccurate statement, then please do elaborate.
    @Bogan
    I'm with the spacefairy on this, no true Scotsman would spew such nonsense, hang your head in shame lad.
    @Joeseph ;Cheer up mate , you're in a right ole temper , try some deep breaths and maybe go for a long walk on a short pier ....would work wonders.

Well with your well known pubic record on this site it is highly likely that your going to take a slightly longer walk a long the pier. Just one step will do and thats the end of Dee again. In to the drink until he resurects him self under another name in the next block buster sequel of lies dishonest debating and temper out bursts. Which grate block buster will we be up to then? Dee 9 the 9th Life. Coming soon.

• @ZeusAres42

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

YOUR BIBLE INEPT QUOTE:  
    "If you believed God asked you to kill someone would you do it?"

There is no "ifs" in Christianity relative to you having to murder others, where it is commanded by the God of Christianity as shown in the passages below:

1.  "If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, BUT KILL HIM. Your hand shall be the first raised to SLAY HIM; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall STONE HIM TO DEATH, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12) 

2.  "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, they have committed an abomination; the two of them shall be put to death; their bloodguilt is upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

3.  "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." (Exodus 22:18)

4.  "And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death." (Exodus 21:15)

5. "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.)

The above MURDERING passages are only a few of many, but you get the idea that Christianity is to MURDER others as biblically shown!

GiantManZeusAres42Factfinder
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -  
    I wonder how many right wing Christian and Muslim fathers will sacrifice their own children, should they be born LGBTQ+?

Some countries already kill LGBTQ+ legally.

LEGALLY.

Man, will we need a LGBTQ+ vaccine if the right wing has their way against their own kin.
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

I think we would all kill under certain conditions. Ask your mom or dad.

Few of us would murder.

A supernatural God could kill a lot easier than I could, so if asked to kill by such a being, I would kill, if it would be my target.  

Some ancient sage said that and it makes sense to do so.

I guess it is because if their is one of those sons of Gods around, as a proof of concept, means that there are many.

• FactfinderFactfinder 777 Pts   -  
    Well if you believe in god you're delusional. So yeah, it's conceivable you'd kill for it.
    ZeusAres42
    @Factfinder ;Well if you believe in god you're delusional. So yeah, it's conceivable you'd kill for it.

Totally right as well as being completely correct and thats exactly what goes on.

Religious groups are all ways at each other throats killing each other because there respective Gods told them to do it. Most of them are just bull crapping of course and just use God for a totally dum excuse to kill.

• @21CenturyIconoclast

I am assuming your are non-religious right? 

Also, @RickeyHoltsclaw how about you? You believe in God with all your heart right. So just humour me for sec and imagine that God did actually come to you and you knew it, you had 100 percent trust, faith, you "knew" this was him. An he told you to show your commitment to him you must kill all people with blond hair would you do it? 

Argument Topic: The Movie "Frailty"

@ZeusAres42
    Have you seen it yet?  It's on many streaming services. 
  • @JulesKorngold

I searched it yes and actually remember watching some of it late one night many years ago. Haven't actually see the whole movie though I don't think. 

@ZeusAres42
    The twist ending is powerful. 
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -   edited February 25
    @21CenturyIconoclast

I am assuming your are non-religious right? 

Also, @RickeyHoltsclaw how about you? You believe in God with all your heart right. So just humour me for sec and imagine that God did actually come to you and you knew it, you had 100 percent trust, faith, you "knew" this was him. An he told you to show your commitment to him you must kill all people with blond hair would you do it? 

@ZeusAres42 ; @Factfinder ; @MayCaesar One of the gifts of the indwelling Holy Spirit subsequent salvation by faith is "divine discernment" which is arbitrated by a redeemed conscience provided those who have trusted in Jesus as Messiah (2 Corinthians 5:17) and it is the indwelling Holy Spirit who mates the redeemed conscience with the spiritual law written upon the heart as per New Covenant promise (Hebrews 10; Jeremiah 31; Ezekiel 36; Romans 2:14-15;8:2) and the Spirit methodically intercedes in every moral and ethical decision encountered by the Christian 24/7/365; this, via daily sanctification; therefore, if anyone approached me spiritually or physiologically and told me to kill anyone with blond hair I would know immediately that the spirit or the person is functioning from the demonic as my Lord has clearly taught prohibition against murder and Jesus enhanced culpability for same by adding mens rea (the thought life).

It is written,

Jesus said,

Anger

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.   Matthew 5 (ESV)

Lust

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matthew 5 (ESV)

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

You are dodging the question. What if you knew for a fact that your lord approached you, and explicitly ordered you to, say, murder 10 babies on the street? Would you do it?

If your answer remains, "God would not ask me to do this", then you are not engaging with the question. Engaging with it means assuming that the hypothetical was actually to happen, no matter how unlikely it is to happen.

For example, let me start: my mother is the most important person in my life - but if she told me to kill someone on the street seriously, I would assume that she was seriously sick, and rather than do it, try to help her instead. See, I have no difficulty considering this hypothetical scenario.
    Your turn: you and the mad god. Go!
    ZeusAres42
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

You are dodging the question. What if you knew for a fact that your lord approached you, and explicitly ordered you to, say, murder 10 babies on the street? Would you do it?

If your answer remains, "God would not ask me to do this", then you are not engaging with the question. Engaging with it means assuming that the hypothetical was actually to happen, no matter how unlikely it is to happen.

For example, let me start: my mother is the most important person in my life - but if she told me to kill someone on the street seriously, I would assume that she was seriously sick, and rather than do it, try to help her instead. See, I have no difficulty considering this hypothetical scenario.

@MayCaesar @Factfinder ; @ZeusAres42 ; No, my little atheist...I'm NOT dodging the question. My Lord would NOT order me to murder 10-babies in the street...that would not happen as such an "order" would be contrary to Elohim's law and His divine nature. Only your god, Satan, would order such a thing...I know your god....his attributes.

MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

@MayCaesar @Factfinder ; @ZeusAres42 ; No, my little atheist...I'm NOT dodging the question. My Lord would NOT order me to murder 10-babies in the street...that would not happen as such an "order" would be contrary to Elohim's law and His divine nature. Only your god, Satan, would order such a thing...I know your god....his attributes.

Your book says different. Are you lying or is it your elf god book that needs more corrections because of its fallible nature? 1 Samuel...

Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

ZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited February 26
    RickeyHoltsclaw said:

I just explained precisely why "my lord would not order me to..." constitutes dodging the question. Repeating the same stuff and ignoring all counter-arguments is not going to cut it, my little Mormon.

I will repeat the question: if your god were to order you this (regardless of how impossible you think it to be), what would you do? Answer the highlighted part exactly; I am not interested in anything else, but your answer to this particular question.
    MayCaesar said:
    RickeyHoltsclaw said:

I just explained precisely why "my lord would not order me to..." constitutes dodging the question. Repeating the same stuff and ignoring all counter-arguments is not going to cut it, my little Mormon.

I will repeat the question: if your god were to order you this (regardless of how impossible you think it to be), what would you do? Answer the highlighted part exactly; I am not interested in anything else, but your answer to this particular question.

@MayCaesar ;  NO atheist...it's not "dodging the question"...you simply don't know my Lord and His righteousness. I will testify that Elohim, during the pagan wars involving Israel and their pagan enemies, did order the complete destruction of certain pagan tribes that fought against Israel but my Lord would NEVER command that I engage in anything that would violate His codified and spiritual laws AKA murder...only your god would seek to deceive one in such demonic behavior.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Your book says different. Are you lying or is it your elf god book that needs more corrections because of its fallible nature? 1 Samuel...

Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

@Factfinder ;  War involving Israel and the pagan tribes that fought against them in the Old Testament is not suggesting my Lord would command that I murder every blond haired individual...be serious. '

@RickeyHoltsclaw

Please answer my question.
    FactfinderZeusAres42
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Please answer my question.

@MayCaesar ;  Your question is moot...my Lord would never ask such a thing of me....
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Good to hear. Now imagine the alternative reality in which he would - then please answer my question.
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -   edited February 26
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Good to hear. Now imagine the alternative reality in which he would - then please answer my question.

@MayCaesar ;  There is no alternative...my Lord is perfect in righteousness...and holiness...He would never request that I engage in something which would contradict His divine nature. My Lord desires peace for
    those who love Him...such horror would never manifest as a request for His children.

@RickeyHoltsclaw

This is how one knows that you are completely lost intellectually: you cannot even entertain the thought that something in this world under different circumstances might not align with your beliefs. You are like that wife who is being beat up and cheated at by her husband daily, but keeps believing, "Deep inside he still loves me!"

If you are not prone to changing your mind under any circumstances, I do not think a debate website is the right place for you to be.
    ZeusAres42
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

@Factfinder ;  War involving Israel and the pagan tribes that fought against them in the Old Testament is not suggesting my Lord would command that I murder every blond haired individual...be serious. '

That was your fairy god book ordering the deaths of women and children...christian mores. I am serious. You're the one that offers irrational elf bible lies as evidence. But all you can say is god did it. You can't explain how because god is a myth and your book is fallible.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

That was your fairy god book ordering the deaths of women and children...christian mores. I am serious. You're the one that offers irrational elf bible lies as evidence. But all you can say is god did it. You can't explain how because god is a myth and your book is fallible.

@Factfinder ; @ZeusAres42 ; That was Elohim ordering the extinction of pagan tribes that sought Israel's compromise with said paganism which would have thwarted Elohim's divine eschatological purpose through Jacob's children concerning the Messiah; the Gospel; the destruction of Satan's works (1 John 3:8b); the Great Commission, all of which prefaced the eschatological imperatives of the Tribulation; the Millennial Kingdom; the final judgment of Satan and humanity; the destruction of this Earth by fire; the creation of a New Earth and the New Jerusalem...  it is lack knowledge that will destroy you and it is your lack knowledge and faith that condemns you. 

MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

This is how one knows that you are completely lost intellectually: you cannot even entertain the thought that something in this world under different circumstances might not align with your beliefs. You are like that wife who is being beat up and cheated at by her husband daily, but keeps believing, "Deep inside he still loves me!"

If you are not prone to changing your mind under any circumstances, I do not think a debate website is the right place for you to be.

@MayCaesar ;  I cannot entertain what is not possible for my Lord to request. I don't challenge my Lord...I seek to honor Him daily by faith and love and obedience.

@RickeyHoltsclaw

Very well, I have my answer. You choose to live like this:

Factfinder
  • RickeyHoltsclawRickeyHoltsclaw 159 Pts   -   edited February 26
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

@MayCaesar ;  No, these people serve the same god you serve in your Atheism. I choose Jesus.

MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

It is very 'coincidental' that all evil authoritative socialistic regimes around the world mimics the power structure and forced compliance the same way the bible calls for complete and utter submission/compliance. No mercy for those who resist the tyrannical demands. Even all the atheist dictators emulate the evil attributes of Elohim. Religion, christianitty, what ever, the scourge of humanity.
    ZeusAres42
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

It is very 'coincidental' that all evil authoritative socialistic regimes around the world mimics the power structure and forced compliance the same way the bible calls for complete and utter submission/compliance. No mercy for those who resist the tyrannical demands. Even all the atheist dictators emulate the evil attributes of Elohim. Religion, christianitty, what ever, the scourge of humanity.

@Factfinder ;  The compliance is rooted in the god you serve, Satan...this is true for communism, socialism, Islam...

MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

@Factfinder ;  The compliance is rooted in the god you serve, Satan...this is true for communism, socialism, Islam...

All those scum bags atheists and theists together learned the evil of your babble real good. Represented your vain goddess Elohim exactly as it's brutally described in the bloody pages of your disgraced book. All evil dictators use the bible as a playbook. And you know it.
    RickeyHoltsclaw said:

@MayCaesar ;  No, these people serve the same god you serve in your Atheism. I choose Jesus.
    You got it backwards. What you and those people have in common is that both you and them serve someone. I serve no one.

The concept of serving no one may be foreign to you, which, again, is why I made the comparison between you and the applauding North Koreans. They, too, have no idea how one can live without the Great Leader in their life.
    ZeusAres42
  • elijah44elijah44 37 Pts   -  
    @RickeyHoltsclaw, Satan is not the god of Atheism, because Atheists do not believe in such things. As an Atheist I would believe in God before I believed in Satan. What you are saying is the fallacy of hasty generalization, meaning really you are jumping to a conclusion. (Just because Atheists don’t believe in God doesn’t mean they are Satanists). Also I know it’s your opinion, but don’t call a person a Satanist if they don’t agree with you.
    RickeyHoltsclaw said:

Oh, but, Rickey, you are the one refusing to answer what you would do if god asked you to kill someone. We do not: we are very happy to answer such question.

Let me answer it.
    - What would you do if Satan, or Kim Jung-Un, or God, or a demon, or anyone or anything else asked you to kill someone?
    - Say, "Fork you".

Here goes the servitude. You, however, cannot answer such a question with respect to your lord, which suggests that you, indeed, are a servant.

See, it is very easy to debunk everything you say with concrete examples. All of your arguments are based on fuzzy fantasies; you have nothing of substance to say.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

All those scum bags atheists and theists together learned the evil of your babble real good. Represented your vain goddess Elohim exactly as it's brutally described in the bloody pages of your disgraced book. All evil dictators use the bible as a playbook. And you know it.

@Factfinder @MayCaesar ;  No, they hated the Scriptures...murdered Christians and Jews...the same god you serve, Satan. You've destined yourself to their fate as well...in your unbelief.

elijah44 said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw, Satan is not the god of Atheism, because Atheists do not believe in such things. As an Atheist I would believe in God before I believed in Satan. What you are saying is the fallacy of hasty generalization, meaning really you are jumping to a conclusion. (Just because Atheists don’t believe in God doesn’t mean they are Satanists). Also I know it’s your opinion, but don’t call a person a Satanist if they don’t agree with you.

@elijah44 @MayCaesar ; @Factfinder ; Yes, Satan is the god of those who do not believe. You might reject Satan as your god, but you do so void knowledge. An atheist is no different than a satanist.... just less honest and more spiritually ignorant of their source of depravity.

elijah44ZeusAres42
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

@Factfinder @MayCaesar ;  No, they hated the Scriptures...murdered Christians and Jews...the same god you serve, Satan. You've destined yourself to their fate as well...in your unbelief.

They all use the same formula as the abrahamic gods in transcripts. And you know it. Just makes you nervous and uncomfortable when facts, truth and reality exposes the fallacy of a god. Especially the homicidal, sadistic maniac  god of that babble fairy book of yours. Have a nice night.
  • elijah44elijah44 37 Pts   -   edited February 26
    @RickeyHoltsclaw, Your faiths and opinions are getting mixed up into this argument. I respect your religion, truly. But I don’t believe in hell, in my perspective it does not exist. However in your perspective it does, you see how we both have different perspectives and views? It’s just you believe your perspective is better and you believe it is the correct one. You cannot say which one is the better one because they are opinions. They are facts to us, but opinions to others.
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

They all use the same formula as the abrahamic gods in transcripts. And you know it. Just makes you nervous and uncomfortable when facts, truth and reality exposes the fallacy of a god. Especially the homicidal, sadistic maniac  god of that babble fairy book of yours. Have a nice night.

@Factfinder ; @MayCaesar ; @ZeusAres42 ; Not at all...they rejected Jesus...the same spirit that murdered Jesus upon a tree...that same spirit that controls your life and your thought processes. The same rebellious cherub that inspired these tyrants has a servant, a demon, that inspires you...you will see that what I'm telling you is Truth but it will be too late. 

elijah44
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Not at all...they rejected Jesus...the same spirit that murdered Jesus upon a tree...that same spirit that controls your life and your thought processes. 

No. You know hitler was 100% christian, and islam worships the same Abrahamic god. Evil cults that atheist dictators mimic because who knows better how to commit genocide than the perverted maniacal abrahamic god of the bible? Elohim, the bane of humanity.
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Except I oppose all tyrants equally: communist tyrants, Islamic tyrants, fascist tyrants and Christian tyrants alike.

Lumping me up with Mao is strange, when liberalization of mainland China is what I see as the most desirable political outcome of the next 30-40 years. You though lump yourself up voluntarily with a creature that inspired countless crusades, religious and civil wars, political executions... Do you not find it true that the criticism you hurl at me, Zeus and Factfinder, is actually addressed to you?:
    MayCaesar said:
    @RickeyHoltsclaw

Except I oppose all tyrants equally: communist tyrants, Islamic tyrants, fascist tyrants and Christian tyrants alike.

Lumping me up with Mao is strange, when liberalization of mainland China is what I see as the most desirable political outcome of the next 30-40 years. You though lump yourself up voluntarily with a creature that inspired countless crusades, religious and civil wars, political executions... Do you not find it true that the criticism you hurl at me, Zeus and Factfinder, is actually addressed to you?:
    @MayCaesar ; The god you serve and the one who is pointing your soul to Hell is the same god of Mao. Christians don't incite civil wars...they seek peace. The Crusades primarily involved the Islamic Caliphate and Catholicism...though Christianity was involved to a lesser extent; that is, an attempt to stop the butchering of hundreds-of-thousands of Jews and Christians by the edge of the sword as territory was swallowed up by the demonic god of Islam, Satan...the same god you serve; therefore, you are an integral part of the evil that has been manifest upon the Earth by these tyrants...birds of a feather and you will reap what you're sowing in your alliance with Satan.

@RickeyHoltsclaw

As I already said, there is no entity in this Universe that can compel me to kill someone by telling me to: I recognize no one's authority when it comes to vicious things like this. Call Satan my "god": if Satan appears before me in the flesh tomorrow and tells me to kill someone, I will show him a middle finger. How do you reconcile it with your claim that I serve him?

It would be a different matter if your "god" appeared before you in the flesh tomorrow and told you to kill someone, would it not? That is when your commitment would truly be tested: would you do a thing that all moral systems in the world consider unacceptable due to your devotion to your master - or is your devotion not nearly as strong as you claim it to be? It has to be one or the other, so I am just curious as to which one it is.