frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday

Debate Information

It would seem that history is replete with people believing in myths, urban legends and so forth. Going back to the time of Ancient Greece, Egypt, and even Rome people believed in all kinds of Gods and Goddesses, among many other things. Today, most of the world now would find it very hard to believe what they believed in. As such I can foresee that in many years to come people will see the major religions of today as no different than what we now view things such as Greek Mythology for instance.

A great many people have already started to move on.

The following is an interesting video by the way of a man who is now part of the clergy project discussing with Richard Dawkins. One of the things that made me laugh was how he said he began to lose his faith after eventually paying more attention to the Bible lol. This guy along with many other clergymen are people that have actually been Theists for at least a couple of decades, many of them former religious preachers. So they know what they're talking about.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    Greek mythology had a lot of really good points to it. I think people should give a bit more credit to the classics: the fantasy stories of good old days were incredibly insightful, and the lessons from them are still relevant today and, probably, will be relevant 2,500 years from now.

An old book containing approximately 100 ancient Greek myths was one of my favorite reads during childhood, and the story about Daedalus and Icarus is something I will remember vividly for the rest of my life.

I have been intending to read Homer's Odyssey and Iliad for a very long time now and even downloaded the audiobooks. I will "read" them during one of my cross-country trips.

Of course, people who take religions literally and believe that they are accurate descriptions of reality are being deeply irrational, and I agree with you that the numbers of such people will dwindle as the time goes by. We are no longer those frightened hunters-gatherers, clinging to the fire in the evening, afraid to look away, fearing ghosts and monsters. We are humans having petabytes worth of knowledge several clicks away. There is no way legends will not be significantly reassessed under these conditions.
    ZeusAres42
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

"The Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday"

Some of "Man" today is already in some aspects a legend, in his own mind.

And in some cases there are plenty of adults in the real world, who are a living myth to their own kids, or their own families?

Religion isn't going anywhere, regardless of what the Richard Dawkins disciples believe.

Or what some of the other household anti religious celebrities, say to their own disciples as well.

Religion isn't, or has never harmed or killed innocent people, in its own name.

But various people have corrupted religion in their own names, to hurt or kill people.

Religion isn't using its religious buildings to terrorise its neighborhoods, or it own communities with.

But terrorists have used religion, to terrorise, various people, in various parts of the globe. 

That's why Religion isn't going anywhere, being that it, has ever been charged with a single crime, has it?

ZeusAres42대왕광개토
  • NeopesdomNeopesdom 157 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

>>A great many people have already started to move on.

You are not stating anything that has not already been foreseen two millennia ago. Even Scripture rhetorically asks "...when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” (Luke 18:8)

2 Thess. 2:3 states that, ".... there will first be a falling away from the faith"

The Clergy Project is a magnet for charlatans and cowards who, by their own admission, openly lie to their congregations, hide behind beliefs they do not hold, make common cause with atheists, and still retain their positions and salaries. - Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr.

>>This guy along with many other clergymen are people that have actually been Theists for at least a couple of decades, many of them former religious preachers. So they know what they're talking about.

They whore themselves at the 'altar of Koalemos'. They are reprobate concerning the faith and actually were never true believers to begin with. "know what they are talking about" now that's funny! LOL Let's get one here for a debate and put that myth to rest.

The stories of mythology sees gods as beings that have flaws and vices, basically acting just like conflicted humans in all their depravity, no doubt a reflection of their true demonic character. In contrast to this, Christianity presents one God who is perfect in all ways and omnipotent. The obvious ridiculous nature of ancient mythologies put them clearly in the realm of fantasy, no doubt they would fade away like the cultures who adopted them. Greek mythology for example offers little in terms of insight and mainly served to offer false ideas about a world that a primitive culture could not comprehend. None of it compares to the genuine insightfulness and rationality of the Bible.

ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    @Neopesdom

I do not think you have studied Greek mythology deep enough, if you think that in terms of insightfulness it does not compare to the Bible. The stories both in the general mythology, and in the writings of ancient authors, feature incredibly sophisticated moral dilemmas and go very deep into what drives a human being and how, in many ways, human nature is self-defeating in a way. It raises a lot of deep questions and rarely provides a straight answer, instead exploring the complexity of those issues.

The Bible, on the other hand, is much more black-and-white, both morally and logically. In the Bible, there are always good guys and bad guys, and sometimes good guys with flaws and bad guys with some redeeming qualities. While in the Greek mythology, it is very rare that someone is overall good or bad, and all characters, gods and creatures face a lot of challenges that shape them and make them into complex and unique, and yet very relatable, beings.

I have not learned anything from the Bible that I did not know before trying to read it, while the Greek mythology was one of the several things that introduced me to the world of human introspection. Greek mythology and East-European folklore caused me, a little kid, to ask myself very mature questions, ones few adults have an answer to. That is something to write home about.

Your Bible has one idealistic god. The Greek pantheon had dozens gods, all with their flaws and goals, often selfish and running contrary to human interests, fighting each other, tricking each other and humans. It also had demi-gods and divine-born creatures. 
    Have you read the part in the Odyssey where Odyssey tricks a cyclopes? That tiny story alone has a world of history of thought behind it, exploring so many topics relevant to this day at once: prejudice, trust, greed, laziness, arrogance, cunning, human rights, animal rights, bad habits, diplomacy... Reading it, you would think it was written a few years ago, not nearly 3 millennia.

Also, if you think the Greek culture was primitive... Man. It was the culture that created logic, philosophy, science and economics as we know them. Greek writers will give the modern ones run for their money, and Socrates or Diogenes of Sinope would wipe the debate floor with modern philosophers.
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    It will just like every other ancient religion , you don’t see anyone believing in the ancient Greek or Roman  gods anymore , religion is constantly evolving with societies and changes with those particular societies , homosexuality was once deemed a mortal sin just like divorce now both are fully accepted , slavery was yet another practice totally supported by believers and now is frowned upon.

Religion I think will always be around it’s basically there for those who are scared of the dark as in they cannot comprehend and accept there’s no afterlife it’s way to scary a thought and instead invent a ton of gods to assuage their childish fears 
    ZeusAres42
  • MayCaesar said:
    @Neopesdom

I do not think you have studied Greek mythology 
    That didn't really take much deciphering lol.
    PlaffelvohfenDee

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    The problem with Religion globally?

Is how the Internet, is apparently being utilized, against Religion on a near global scale? 

Because the, "anti God, anti Jesus, and anti Bible communities," are quietly flourishing, because of the various platforms, that are being utilized on the Internet itself. 

"The Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday"

DeeZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    @TKDB

You’re off topic , try and stay on topic 
  • TKDB said:
    The problem with Religion globally?

Is how the Internet, is apparently being utilized, against Religion on a near global scale? 

Because the, "anti God, anti Jesus, and anti Bible communities," are quietly flourishing, because of the various platforms, that are being utilized on the Internet itself. 

Have you actually got an argument that cannot be reduced to either ad consequntia or ad absurdem? 
    Plaffelvohfen

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    @Dee

I'm very on topic.

@ZeusAres42 posed a question:

And I addressed his question, from the same Internet based platform that he utilized to formulate his perceptions with.

@Dee

The same Internet, that you as well have utilized to formulate your individual perceptions with, right? 

There are 13 pages of "Religion" based, debate forums on this website alone?

And those 13 pages of Religion based forum's, are all in a sense, their own sources of Reference Material, in regards to the Religion conversation in general, aren't they? 
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42Dee
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    I think that it is guaranteed to happen with any and all religions, given enough time. Societies naturally drift sociologically and mature over time as ideas and philosophies within the culture shift to meet a changing physical and political landscape. It is only natural that ideas that are of little or no benefit to society will slowly be removed or taken less seriously as the society progresses, and will be replaced with modified versions of the original ideas or replaced entirely by newer ones.

We can see this as already having occurred multiple times in all major world religions today. The Christian religion as a whole has over 33,000 denominations globally. http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm Many of these denominations have entirely different ideas, practices, and philosophies which contradict each other despite originating all of these beliefs from  the same holly book. Even that book, the bible, can be contested as an unchanging source of information on account of how much of it has been added or removed throughout history. For example, the book of Enoch was largely removed by most christian churches by the 4th century, and the Mormon church added the book of Mormon to the bible in 1830. The same can be said about Islam and Buddhism, both have many different denominations, holly texts, and philosophies which contradict the others.

According to the Pew research center, the number of people who are religiously unaffiliated is growing rapidly, already outpacing the growth of all other denominations in the US. The ideas of christian churches are being replaced by secular and diverse spiritual beliefs not tied to any particular religion. If this trend continues, it is reasonable that modern religions will eventually become myths of the past.
    https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Although this doesn't mean that in the future we will do away with religion as a whole, it does seem to indicate that religions do through phases of expansion and widespread literal belief, followed by metaphorical interpretation before receding into myths and legends of the past. In the US, there has been debate over teaching creation as the origin of the world in addition to evolution in public schools. Much of the proposal was to spend some time teaching evolution and some time teaching creation. Many famous scientists, including astronomer Neil Degrasse Tyson have offered a compromise, that the creation story might be taught in schools as long as it isn't taught in science class, on account of it isn't science. He suggests that a separate class, such as "religious literature" may be taught alongside evolution without problems.
    https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2014/01/21/neil-degrasse-tyson-explains-why-he-believes-faith-and-reason-are-irreconcilable/
    This is however, disturbing to those who believe in a literal interpretation of the bible, because it implies that the creation story be treated like a myth, similar to those in ancient Greece or Rome.

The writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time.
    ZeusAres42
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 ;

"Have you actually got an argument that cannot be reduced to either ad consequntia or ad absurdem?"

The same response to you.

The same Internet, that you as well have utilized to formulate your individual perceptions with, right? 

There are 13 pages of "Religion" based, debate forums on this website alone?

And those 13 pages of Religion based forum's, are all in a sense, their own sources of Reference Material, in regards to the Religion conversation in general, aren't they?  

@ZeusAres42

I argue from a pro Religious Freedom platform.

And I can guarantee you, that all of the Religions that you have apparently developed a disdain for, are having a ZERO influence, over how you live your life, or has had any influence over the history of your very own life, in a negative way, yes, or no? 

Islam, Catholicism, or Christianity, in general, have done ZERO to influence the history of my own life in a negative way. 

@ZeusAres42

So you can view Religion as you choose to.

But Religion is only an issue, when some sorry individual humans, use religion to corrupt it for their own personal gains, and either, hurt, cripple, maim, or kill innocent people, and then use Religion as an excuse card, to justify their cowardly selves. 
    ZeusAres42Dee
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    I don't think that the Abrahamic religions will be related to in the same way we relate now to Greek, Roman or Norse mythology... Those mythos are like the Marvel universe in many ways, the Abrahamic mythos isn't as appealing, certainly less marketable... Hinduism has more potential in this regard imo, being polytheistic...

I salute those ex-clergymen, how distressing it must be for them. I mean, what is someone to do at 45 or 50, preaching was their whole livelihood, their expertise, everything in their lives revolved around this, their community, friends, family... Throwing all that away and start again at that age must be hard... No wonder many continued for years even though they stopped believing...  
    DeeZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
    @TKDB

****I’m very on topic 

You’re not .

****The same Internet, that you as well have utilized to formulate your individual perceptions with, right? 

Wrong , my perceptions are not reliant on internet opinion pieces , unlike you who copy and pastes continuously the opinions of others 

****There are 13 pages of "Religion" based, debate forums on this website alone?

So? How many science ones are there ?

****And those 13 pages of Religion based forum's, are all in a sense, their own sources of Reference Material, in regards to the Religion conversation in general, aren't they? 

No , they’re not actually as I don’t know anyone who uses them for “reference material “ , you do talk a lot but your opinion pieces are never backed up with anything are they?
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

. No wonder many continued for years even though they stopped believing

Yes quiet true , the Times over here ran an article a couple of years back saying a fair proportion of preachers , priests and clergymen don’t believe but do it for the relatively easy money and lifestyle . My grandfather used to say “ priests are too lazy to work and to proud to beg “ theres more than a bit of truth in that I’m thinking 

Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I'm going to flag you again. 
    ZeusAres42PlaffelvohfenDee
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Wil Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday.
    I believe it will.
    Kind of looking forward to it.
    I hope it happens during my life, situation.

Neopesdom is right, that it is predicted in the Bible.

If everyone stops believing and society moves on.
    The answer will eventually reveal itself.
    If nothing happens, then it was a legend/myth.
    If something happens, then it will become a proverbial utterance.
    I think it will be the greatest "duh" moment for either case.
    One we will talk about for centuries later, of how it was to believe a certain way.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

There are 5 pages of Science oriented Debate conversations.

****And those 13 pages of Religion based forum's, are all in a sense, their own sources of Reference Material, in regards to the Religion conversation in general, aren't they? 

"No , they’re not actually as I don’t know anyone who uses them for “reference material “ , you do talk a lot on rubbish don’t you?"

@Dee, Why couldn't they be viewed as website based Reference Material?

You're teaching me, through how you perceive things through your individual perceptions, aren't you? 

Your own uses of your words, are your own Reference Material, and that's how I view your argument style.

Your individual perceptions reflect your views.

@Dee

How you perceive me through your own word's:

I'm very on topic.

"You’re not , but then again are you ever?"

"Wrong , my perceptions are not reliant on internet opinion pieces , unlike you who copy and pastes continuously the opinions of others."

PlaffelvohfenDee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

****There are 5 pages of Science oriented Debate conversations.

And? 

***/Why couldn't they be viewed as website based Reference Material?

Ok , knock yourself out and use them as reference then 

****You're teaching me, through how you perceive things through your individual perceptions, aren't you? 

You're teaching me, through how you perceive things through your individual perceptions, aren't you?

****Your  own uses of your words, are your own Reference Material, and that's how I view your argument style.

Your own uses of your words, are your own Reference Material, and that's how I view your argument style.

*****.Your individual perceptions show your view 

Your individual perceptions show your view 

****The same Internet, that you as well have utilized to formulate your individual perceptions with, right? 

No , that’s still you with your copy and pasting 

• ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2763 Pts   -   edited November 2019

If you want to have a better argument in favor of your position then my tip would be to try and create one which does not have an equal and opposite reactionary positional stance.

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

@ZeusAres42

I wish you two a good day.
  • TKDB said:
    @Dee

@ZeusAres42

I wish you two a good day.
    Thanks very much. You too.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB @ZeusAres42

I wish you two a good day

Thank you very much , a technicality though , it’s night here .....

I wish you a good /day night from my good /day night atheist perception 

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

I'm an equal and fair conversationalist.

I don't choose sides, I believe that the Public, should be educated in a fair and equal manner, being that anything less, is self serving.

The Public deserves better.
    ZeusAres42Dee
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Religion in general, isn't going anywhere, nor has it become a myth.

Religion is a viable as Humanity in general is.
    ZeusAres42DeePlaffelvohfen
  • I think that it is guaranteed to happen with any and all religions, given enough time. Societies naturally drift sociologically and mature over time as ideas and philosophies within the culture shift to meet a changing physical and political landscape. It is only natural that ideas that are of little or no benefit to society will slowly be removed or taken less seriously as the society progresses, and will be replaced with modified versions of the original ideas or replaced entirely by newer ones.

We can see this as already having occurred multiple times in all major world religions today. The Christian religion as a whole has over 33,000 denominations globally. http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm Many of these denominations have entirely different ideas, practices, and philosophies which contradict each other despite originating all of these beliefs from  the same holly book. Even that book, the bible, can be contested as an unchanging source of information on account of how much of it has been added or removed throughout history. For example, the book of Enoch was largely removed by most christian churches by the 4th century, and the Mormon church added the book of Mormon to the bible in 1830. The same can be said about Islam and Buddhism, both have many different denominations, holly texts, and philosophies which contradict the others.

According to the Pew research center, the number of people who are religiously unaffiliated is growing rapidly, already outpacing the growth of all other denominations in the US. The ideas of christian churches are being replaced by secular and diverse spiritual beliefs not tied to any particular religion. If this trend continues, it is reasonable that modern religions will eventually become myths of the past.
    https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Although this doesn't mean that in the future we will do away with religion as a whole, it does seem to indicate that religions do through phases of expansion and widespread literal belief, followed by metaphorical interpretation before receding into myths and legends of the past. In the US, there has been debate over teaching creation as the origin of the world in addition to evolution in public schools. Much of the proposal was to spend some time teaching evolution and some time teaching creation. Many famous scientists, including astronomer Neil Degrasse Tyson have offered a compromise, that the creation story might be taught in schools as long as it isn't taught in science class, on account of it isn't science. He suggests that a separate class, such as "religious literature" may be taught alongside evolution without problems.
    https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2014/01/21/neil-degrasse-tyson-explains-why-he-believes-faith-and-reason-are-irreconcilable/
    This is however, disturbing to those who believe in a literal interpretation of the bible, because it implies that the creation story be treated like a myth, similar to those in ancient Greece or Rome.

The writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time.
    I concur with this. I think this is a natural progression.

Some of the links/info you've posted I already knew and other stuff I didn't. And for that very informative, thanks.

• Neopesdom said:
    @ZeusAres42

The Clergy Project is a magnet for charlatans and cowards who, by their own admission, openly lie to their congregations, hide behind beliefs they do not hold, make common cause with atheists, and still retain their positions and salaries. - Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr.

That's a wild accusation whether it is coming from you or Dr. R. Albert Moheler Jr. Also, it really doesn't do much to advance your position to quote another person and implicitly state that you believe he is right because of who he is. I mean there is nothing wrong with quoting others so long as you can provide and explain your own reasoning which you failed to do so here.

>>This guy along with many other clergymen are people that have actually been Theists for at least a couple of decades, many of them former religious preachers. So they know what they're talking about.

They whore themselves at the 'altar of Koalemos'. They are reprobate concerning the faith and actually were never true believers to begin with. "know what they are talking about" now that's funny! LOL Let's get one here for a debate and put that myth to rest.

This is where you make a huge blunder! Apart from behaving in an arrogant as well as the cretinous way by trying to imply derision you also make another wild claim devoid of both reason and evidence. I will put this another way to. Several of the Clergymen have theological degrees, studied and practiced theology for decades, and will know far more about the religion that what you will ever know!

In addition to the above paragraph here are some other facts you should note which are:

1. A whole plethora of irreligious people knows far more about religion than what the self-proclaimed religious people like yourself know.
    2. More than 80% of the US is said to associate themselves as Christian yet less than 40% have actually read the whole of the bible. An even lesser percent has actually studied the Bible, how it came about, how it's been changed, corrected, updated, and debated by theological scholars. And yet an even lesser percent actually went deeper into theology altogether.

Now based on your post/s I'm going to assume you don't possess much academic rigor. And behold, I say to you that you're way out of your league. And behold, I say to you, go forth and educate yourself on the religion you claim but do not understand so that you may understand it.
    PlaffelvohfenDee

• TKDB said:
    Religion in general, isn't going anywhere, nor has it become a myth.

Religion is a viable as Humanity in general is.
    I would like to congratulate you on your 1KIrrelevant posts. Keep it up and before you know it you will have 2k irrelevant posts that had nothing to do with the topic.

DeePlaffelvohfen

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

Hilarious , for what exactly?

I told aarong to read your posts as it's obvious you're trolling 
    @ZeusAres42

>>This is where you make a huge blunder! Apart from behaving in an arrogant as well as the cretinous way by trying to imply derision you also make another wild claim devoid of both reason and evidence. I will put this another way to. Several of the Clergymen have theological degrees, studied and practiced theology for decades, and will know far more about the religion that what you will ever know!

It is written, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." (1 John 2:19)

God says that if any leaves the faith they were never part of it to being with.

>>More than 80% of the US is said to associate themselves as Christian yet less than 40% have actually read the whole of the bible. An even lesser percent has actually studied the Bible, how it came about, how it's been changed, corrected, updated, and debated by theological scholars. And yet an even lesser percent actually went deeper into theology altogether.

"....narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." ( Mat. 7:14)

I'm not surprised by your stats, it is confirmed by the Bible.

There are no theological degrees attained by anyone in the Bible. It doesn't matter how many decades someone practiced theology, but rather if they are faithful followers Christ. 

...when they said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow after their own ungodly desires.” These are the ones who cause divisions, who are worldly and devoid of the Spirit. (Jude 1:19)

Now I don't expect you to agree or even to understand these things, as you are clearly devoid of the Spirit.

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor. 2:14)

You think believing in the Bible is foolishness and will fade away one day.  You would do well to ponder the following words.

Message of the Cross

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Jews demand signs and Greeks search for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength. (1 Cor 1:18-25)

Wisdom of God

Brothers, consider the time of your calling: Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were powerful; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly and despised things of the world, and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast in His presence.

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God: our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”

>>Now based on your post/s I'm going to assume you don't possess much academic rigor

Why thank you! nay do I wish to be tainted by the wisdom of this world.

ZeusAres42
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
    @Neopesdom

Believing in anything based on some words from a fantasy book is unreasonable. We live in the 21st century, with sophisticated technology all around us; people should know better than believe in things contradict everything we see around us on the everyday basis.

In this regard, there is no functional difference between believing in minotaurs, medusas turning humans into statues and Aphrodite, and believing in angels, Jesus' resurrection and Christian God.

You are not supposed to believe in these things in the first place, and I am fairly sure that whoever wrote the Bible did not expect people to take everything there literally. The Bible, just like Greek mythology, does not have a purpose to explain how the world works and describe its actual history. Their purpose is to send some moral and intellectual messages, and colorful fantasy stories happen to be a great medium to do that in. They combine folklore with pretty deep abstract ideas, making it easy for people to follow them and relate to them.

Imagine someone who reads Lord of the Rings and exclaims, "I knew it, hobbits are real!" Such a person is being a child that does not at all understand the purpose of the book he/she just read and has trouble telling fantasy from reality. Those who read the Bible and believe that it describes the reality are just like that child.
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen

>>Believing in anything based on some words from a fantasy book is unreasonable. 

When you start making prophetic predictions let me know. 

Set forth your case, says the Lord; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. (Isaiah 41:21-23)

No human being has ever made predictions which hold any comparison to those we have considered, and had them accurately come true. The span of time between the writing of these prophecies and their fulfillment is so great that the most severe critic cannot claim that the predictions were made after the events happened. - Peter Stoner, Science Speaks: An Evaluation of Certain Christian Evidences, Moody Press, 1963, 115. 

>>We live in the 21st century, with sophisticated technology all around us; people should know better than believe in things contradict everything we see around us on the everyday basis

Can you name some of these contradictions of yours?

The attack by critics of the Bible has often come in the name of science. Faith has been threatened because the Bible has been thought to be in serious error. Today, through the efforts of Christian scientists, items of conflict between science and the scriptures are being harmonized. The evidence continues to accumulate in favor of the Bible as the product of Divine intelligence. Science Speaks is an enlightening comparison of Biblical truth and the established scientific data. - Peter Stoner

>>In this regard, there is no functional difference between believing in minotaurs, medusas turning humans into statues and Aphrodite, and believing in angels, Jesus' resurrection and Christian God.

The functional difference is that one will save you, the other will not. I do not recall minotaurs, medusas, or hobbits etc, being backed up by any prophetic predictions. Fulfilled prophecies in the Old Testament authenticate its inspiration from God.

>>Those who read the Bible and believe that it describes the reality are just like that child.

"Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein." (Mark 10:15)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    I think that religion will become insignificant in the distant future if by that time we can somehow overcome many issues(for example, death) that were once considered impossible to be overcome. Religion was made to make people feel less fearful and insignificant. Once humans become extremely powerful and wise to the extent that they are able to overcome difficulties they thought were unconquerable, they will no longer seek help from religion.
    @Neopesdom

It depends on what you classify as "prophecy". The Greek mythology also has predicted a lot of things: wars: economical crises, etc. It turns out pretty easy to make predictions about things that happen regularly. Wars happen all the time, so if you predict a large war in the future, then you are probably going to be right.

It is especially easy if you constantly rewrite your book of prophecies, to match it retroactively to the events that historically happened.

I can name quite a few contradictions. Should we start with a talking snake? Or maybe Jesus flying into the sky magically? Should I mention the incredible wooden ship Noah constructed that harbored a pair of each living species on Earth, despite all the calculations showing that wooden structures of such scope are fundamentally unstable and are going to collapse onto themselves?
    The Bible talks about things that cannot be reproduced experimentally, and that, in fact, contradict all existing experiments. Much like magic does, or walking skeletons. But there probably are people who read Lord of the Rings and thing these things real.

What is the difference between a minotaur and a god? We have 0 evidence of either, yet the ancient myths talk about them. The only difference really is that one mythology went out of fashion, while the other has not. Ancient Greeks would just as much say that minotaurs are or, at least, were obviously real, and if you tried talking to them about angels, God and Satan, they would think you read too much fiction. Nothing changed, just the roles swapped.
    ZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Neopesdom

*****No human being has ever made predictions which hold any comparison to those we have considered, and had them accurately come true. The span of time between the writing of these prophecies and their fulfillment is so great that the most severe critic cannot claim that the predictions were made after the events happened. - Peter Stoner, Science Speaks: An Evaluation of Certain Christian Evidences, Moody Press, 1963, 115. 

Indeed , well let’s start off with one .......Incidentally why would you think a human should compare to a god regarding prophetic powers? In the case below actually humans have had a better success rate ..... 

Egypt would be a barren wasteland

The country of Egypt, a desolate wasteland

In Ezekiel 29:1-15, God states that Egypt will be made into a desolate wasteland:

In the tenth year, in the tenth month, in the twelfth day of the month, the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Son of man, set thy face against Pharaoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against him, and against all Egypt: Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself. But I will put hooks in thy jaws, and I will cause the fish of thy rivers to stick unto thy scales, and I will bring thee up out of the midst of thy rivers, and all the fish of thy rivers shall stick unto thy scales. And I will leave thee thrown into the wilderness, thee and all the fish of thy rivers: thou shalt fall upon the open fields; thou shalt not be brought together, nor gathered: I have given thee for meat to the beasts of the field and to the fowls of the heaven. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries. Yet thus saith the Lord GOD; At the end of forty years will I gather the Egyptians from the people whither they were scattered: And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return into the land of Pathros, into the land of their habitation; and they shall be there a base kingdom. It shall be the basest of the kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations: for I will diminish them, that they shall no more rule over the nations.

This passage is one of the most erroneous in the Bible. Since Ezekiel was penned, Egypt has never been recorded as a 'desolate waste'. There is no historical evidence of a time when people have not walked through Egypt; when for forty years Egypt was uninhabited after the civilization started there; or for when Egypt has been surrounded by other desolate countries.God sets out a checklist of specific events that will occur:

1. Egypt and everything from the tower of Syene to Ethiopia will be desolate and waste
    2. God will own the Nile
    3. No humans will walk through Egypt
    4. No animals will walk through Egypt
    5. Nobody will live in Egypt for 40 years
    6. Egyptians will leave Egypt and be scattered among other nations
    7. After 40 years of scattering, Egypt will be repopulated by the scattered Egyptians
    8. Egypt will be a weak kingdom, and will never control "the nations"

• In fact, it does seem like Ancient Greece set in motion what would later become the Abrahamic religions. If I remember correctly, weren't they the first to eventually come up with the concept of "only one God?" 
    MayCaesar

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  

The Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday.

No, it wont, regardless of how Religion in general, is perceived or viewed.

Religion has been around for how long now, 2000 plus years? 

It will be around even after this current generation of humanity has passed its time, and the future generations of humanity, will still continue to travel and go to their Religious Buildings of choice, and exercise their Freedoms of Religion: Islam, Christianity, Catholicism, and the other Religions. 

Sharing in the shared community experience, and helping out their fellow humans, IE the homeless, the poor, and those seeking clothing, or shelter. 

@MayCaesar

>> The Greek mythology also has predicted a lot of things: wars: economical crises, etc. It turns out pretty easy to make predictions about things that happen regularly. Wars happen all the time, so if you predict a large war in the future, then you are probably going to be right.

You mean the predictions made by an ethylene huffer at Delphi? LOL that's quite the erroneous comparison, you've obviously haven't studied the nature of Biblical prophecy or you would have comprehend the profound difference in the two.

"King Croesus of Lydia asked the oracle whether or not he should go to war on his neighbouring kingdom. The oracle replied that if he went to war, a great kingdom would fall. Croesus interpreted this as being his enemy’s… it turned out to be his own."

These types of prophecies, as well as those made by Edgar Cayce or Nostradamus are deliberately vague and ambiguous and could fall under P.T. Barnum interpretations ("There's a sucker born every minute").

>>It is especially easy if you constantly rewrite your book of prophecies, to match it retroactively to the events that historically happened.

Where are all the contradictory manuscripts to bolster that conclusion? Such an argumentation is intellectually bankrupt and belongs in fiction stories like Lord of the Rings. It's also not a single book, the first 39 Hebrew-Aramaic books of the Holy Bible from Genesis to Malachi, combined with the 27 books of the Greek Scriptures, we have the Biblical cannon of 66 books that make up our complete Bible, which about 40 authors wrote the Bible over a period of 1,500 years. That would be quite the conspiracy you've invented here, please explain the logistics of this rewrite with evidence.

>>I can name quite a few contradictions. Should we start with a talking snake? Or maybe Jesus flying into the sky magically?

Actually if there were beings with supernatural powers it would be a contradiction not to find any mention of any supernatural events. One would be expect to find examples of such, i.e. divine intervention.

>>Should I mention the incredible wooden ship Noah constructed that harbored a pair of each living species on Earth, despite all the calculations showing that wooden structures of such scope are fundamentally unstable and are going to collapse onto themselves?

Should I mention the replica Ark build in Kentucky, it has yet to collapse. The ark has been reproduced, perfectly sound.   https://arkencounter.com/

>>The Bible talks about things that cannot be reproduced experimentally, and that, in fact, contradict all existing experiments. Much like magic does, or walking skeletons. But there probably are people who read Lord of the Rings and thing these things real.

Science deals with the natural world, of course it's not going to be able to experiment with spiritual things, such a notion is completely absurd to being with, argumentum ad absurdum.
    PlaffelvohfenDee
    @Neopesdom

*****Should I mention the replica Ark build in Kentucky, it has yet to collapse. The ark has been reproduced, perfectly sound 

You either live in reality or you spend $92 million building a giant Ark for rational people to laugh at.

Hemant Mehta

The fact that a huge team of professionals hired by AiG can build a boat-shaped building using modern construction equipment and sophisticated engineering software does not prove that one 500-year-old man built a similarly sized seafaring vessel thousands of years ago using a wood hammer and a rock.

—Tyler Franke, Christian blogger

The Ark is a boat-shaped building held together with riveted steel brackets

and with a bulbous bow - a 20th Century invention for ships which have to move through the water - and a modern stern was not a good start.

It’s got on board an array of stuffed animals and (wait for it ) a petting zoo

Seriously one has to question the mentality of anyone who takes this seriously or in fairness maybe the poor people need mental health professionals to try and address the dreadful mental damage done by religions in the U S 

"The attendance was abysmal. It didn’t meet anyone’s expectations"and Jerry Coyne also says, "Still it’s worrisome—to Ham, not me, as I’m delighted. Who wants big attendance at an exhibit devoted to purveying lies to children?"Later visitors do not describe it as truthful or accurate.

@Neopesdom

*****Science deals with the natural world, of course it's not going to be able to experiment with spiritual things, such a notion is completely absurd to being with, argumentum ad absurdum

Why not? If supernatural events happen what would stop them from being investigated? To believe a supernatural event occurred one must accept that the natural laws of the Universe were put on hold to allow such.

If such events take place how come there is never  one bit of credible evidence to support such? You believe in such events based on faith which is based on spiritual conviction and nothing else 
  • Dr_MaybeDr_Maybe 138 Pts   -  

Religion today is already the ancient legends/myths of yesterday.

TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

Some of "Man" today is already in some aspects a legend, in his own mind.

And in some cases there are plenty of adults in the real world, who are a living myth to their own kids, or their own families?

Religion isn't going anywhere, regardless of what the Richard Dawkins disciples believe.

Or what some of the other household anti religious celebrities, say to their own disciples as well.

Religion isn't, or has never harmed or killed innocent people, in its own name.

But various people have corrupted religion in their own names, to hurt or kill people.

Religion isn't using its religious buildings to terrorise its neighborhoods, or it own communities with.

But terrorists have used religion, to terrorise, various people, in various parts of the globe. 

That's why Religion isn't going anywhere, being that it, has ever been charged with a single crime, has it?

ZeusAres42
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

@ZeusAres42

I continue to be educated: 

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/an-atheist-investigates-jesus-to-disprove-the-resurrection/ ;

Home » Parenting » Parenting Techniques » An Atheist Investigates Jesus to Disprove the Resurrection

"AN ATHEIST INVESTIGATES JESUS TO DISPROVE THE RESURRECTION"

Lee Strobel, a former investigative journalist, sought to debunk the claims of Christianity but his research led him down an unexpected path.

wrap

Listen to a broadcast about Easter with Lee Strobel.

"I didn’t become an atheist overnight. When I was growing up, my teachers and the leaders at church
    wouldn’t answer my questions about God, like why He didn’t wipe out evil or stop people’s suffering.
    My parents went to church on Sundays but rarely talked about God at home.

My relationship with my father was terrible. During one argument, he looked at me and said, “I don’t
    have enough love for you to fill my little finger.” It can be difficult to accept the idea of a
    loving heavenly Father when you’ve been rejected by the earthly version.

And was God even there? In high school and college, I was taught that God isn’t necessary for the
    origin of life and that we can’t trust the biblical accounts of Jesus’ ministry. After college, I
    started my career and got married. Atheism fit the self-centered life I was living.

But then my wife became a Christian, and for the first time, I began to seriously investigate the
    claims of Christianity, if for no other reason than to liberate her from her faith. And I knew that
    my debunking of Christianity had to start with its bold, central claim: that Jesus Christ died and
    came back to life.

The Christian faith rises or falls on that claim. It’s the whole ballgame. I had investigated lots
    of deaths in my career as a journalist, and none of those corpses ever regained life. Dead people
    just don’t come back to life — unless that person truly is the Son of God.

To investigate the Resurrection, I approached the topic with four questions in mind. And no one was
    more surprised by what I found than I was!

As Easter approaches, I hope the answers to these questions help your family have confidence in the
    Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s resurrection.

Was Jesus really dead?

Skeptics insist that Jesus never died on the Cross as the Bible claims. One of the first things I
    discovered, to my surprise, is that historians consider Jesus Christ’s death on a cross to be a
    noncontroversial fact. As the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded: “The historical and medical evidence indicates that Jesus was dead before the wound to his side was
    inflicted.”

We have multiple independent reports of His death in the documents that make up the New Testament,
    and we have at least five ancient sources outside the Bible that corroborate that He died on a
    cross. Even the Jewish Talmud admits that Jesus was executed. One New Testament scholar, atheist
    Gerd Lüdemann of Vanderbilt University, calls Jesus’ death on the Cross an “indisputable” fact.

Did believers invent this story?

I used to think the Resurrection was a legend — maybe 100 years after Jesus’ life, people started
    believing a myth. As I investigated the historical roots of ancient legends, I learned that it took
    a long time in the ancient world — more than two generations — for legends to develop and wipe out a
    solid core of historical facts. Yet we have a report of the Resurrection, preserved later by the
    apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:3-7,
    that was written much too quickly after Jesus’ death to be considered a legend.
    Prominent New Testament scholar James D.G. Dunn is convinced this report was
    formulated within months after Jesus’ death. Add to that the four Gospels, which contain reports
    that date within just a generation of Jesus’ life.

There is no huge time gap between the death of Jesus and the later development of a legend that He
    rose from the dead. We’ve got a news flash that goes right back to the beginning.

Was the tomb actually empty?

Perhaps the tomb was never empty, some skeptics say. But even the opponents of Jesus implicitly
    conceded the tomb was empty that first Easter morning. In fact, so sure they were of the empty tomb
    that they claimed that Christ’s disciples stole His body.

And Jesus’ body was almost certainly put into that tomb, despite arguments that victims of
    crucifixion were never buried. The Digesta, a summary of ancient Roman law compiled by the Emperor
    Justinian, says: “The bodies of persons who have been punished should be given to whoever requests
    them for the purposes of burial.” In fact, in 1968, archaeologists found the buried remains of a
    crucifixion victim with the spike still through his anklebone.

But how was the tomb emptied? Romans didn’t have a motive for stealing the body. They wanted Jesus
    dead. Jewish leaders of the day didn’t have a motive. They wanted Jesus to stay dead. Disciples
    didn’t have the means or the opportunity to steal the body. The most plausible explanation is that
    Jesus rose from the dead.

Did people actually see Jesus alive?

We have nine ancient sources inside and outside the New Testament that corroborate the conviction of
    the disciples that they encountered the resurrected Jesus. This is an avalanche of historical
    evidence! What’s more, the earliest report of the Resurrection says 500 people saw Him at the same
    time.

“OK,” skeptics say, “so people saw something. Could they have been hallucinating?” But that sort of
    shared hallucination doesn’t happen, according to the psychology experts I talked with.
    Hallucinations happen in individual minds.

What’s more, Saul of Tarsus, who for years lived as a persecutor of Christians, encountered the
    resurrected Christ (Acts 9:1-6).
    Saul was not psychologically primed to have a vision of the risen
    Jesus — and he had no motive to claim such an encounter if it had never occurred.

What I had to conclude

Disproving the Resurrection wasn’t easy! In fact, it was impossible. My research caused me to
    realize: The case for the resurrection of Jesus is powerful and persuasive. That evidence led me to
    my own faith in Christ, and in the years since that investigation, I’ve been helping other
    Christians understand how we can have confidence in the biblical accounts of the
    Resurrection.

At Easter, we’re not just celebrating a holiday of chocolate eggs, ham dinners and time with our
    families. No, we are recognizing that Christ’s resurrection authenticates His claim that He is the
    Son of God.

You see, anyone can make claims, and Jesus certainly made transcendent, messianic and divine claims
    about himself. He claimed He was the Son of God. But if He actually came back from death, that
    affirms His divine identity. As the apostle Paul said, “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is
    futile and you are still in your sins” (1 Corinthians 15:17).

If the resurrection of Jesus is true, then His teachings are not just wise words from an old, dead
    sage. They are the very words of God. We’re compelled to follow these teachings and help our
    children understand that Jesus deserves our worship and our allegiance.

His resurrection means that He is still alive, and we can encounter Him today. And because of His
    atoning death on the Cross, all those who follow Him have received forgiveness for their sins, and
    heaven is open for all of us.

The Resurrection truly changes everything.

Lee Strobel is an award-winning author and former investigative journalist. His most recent book is The Case for Christ. "

The article is very educational, enlightening, and a fair and equal conversation piece, to add to the discussion.

Dr_Maybe
    TKDB said:
    @Dee

@ZeusAres42

I continue to be educated: 

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/an-atheist-investigates-jesus-to-disprove-the-resurrection/ ;

Home » Parenting » Parenting Techniques » An Atheist Investigates Jesus to Disprove the Resurrection

"AN ATHEIST INVESTIGATES JESUS TO DISPROVE THE RESURRECTION"

Lee Strobel, a former investigative journalist, sought to debunk the claims of Christianity but his research led him down an unexpected path.

wrap

Listen to a broadcast about Easter with Lee Strobel.

"I didn’t become an atheist overnight. When I was growing up, my teachers and the leaders at church
    wouldn’t answer my questions about God, like why He didn’t wipe out evil or stop people’s suffering.
    My parents went to church on Sundays but rarely talked about God at home.

My relationship with my father was terrible. During one argument, he looked at me and said, “I don’t
    have enough love for you to fill my little finger.” It can be difficult to accept the idea of a
    loving heavenly Father when you’ve been rejected by the earthly version.

And was God even there? In high school and college, I was taught that God isn’t necessary for the
    origin of life and that we can’t trust the biblical accounts of Jesus’ ministry. After college, I
    started my career and got married. Atheism fit the self-centered life I was living.

But then my wife became a Christian, and for the first time, I began to seriously investigate the
    claims of Christianity, if for no other reason than to liberate her from her faith. And I knew that
    my debunking of Christianity had to start with its bold, central claim: that Jesus Christ died and
    came back to life.

The Christian faith rises or falls on that claim. It’s the whole ballgame. I had investigated lots
    of deaths in my career as a journalist, and none of those corpses ever regained life. Dead people
    just don’t come back to life — unless that person truly is the Son of God.

To investigate the Resurrection, I approached the topic with four questions in mind. And no one was
    more surprised by what I found than I was!

As Easter approaches, I hope the answers to these questions help your family have confidence in the
    Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s resurrection.

Was Jesus really dead?

Skeptics insist that Jesus never died on the Cross as the Bible claims. One of the first things I
    discovered, to my surprise, is that historians consider Jesus Christ’s death on a cross to be a
    noncontroversial fact. As the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded: “The historical and medical evidence indicates that Jesus was dead before the wound to his side was
    inflicted.”

We have multiple independent reports of His death in the documents that make up the New Testament,
    and we have at least five ancient sources outside the Bible that corroborate that He died on a
    cross. Even the Jewish Talmud admits that Jesus was executed. One New Testament scholar, atheist
    Gerd Lüdemann of Vanderbilt University, calls Jesus’ death on the Cross an “indisputable” fact.

Did believers invent this story?

I used to think the Resurrection was a legend — maybe 100 years after Jesus’ life, people started
    believing a myth. As I investigated the historical roots of ancient legends, I learned that it took
    a long time in the ancient world — more than two generations — for legends to develop and wipe out a
    solid core of historical facts. Yet we have a report of the Resurrection, preserved later by the
    apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:3-7,
    that was written much too quickly after Jesus’ death to be considered a legend.
    Prominent New Testament scholar James D.G. Dunn is convinced this report was
    formulated within months after Jesus’ death. Add to that the four Gospels, which contain reports
    that date within just a generation of Jesus’ life.

There is no huge time gap between the death of Jesus and the later development of a legend that He
    rose from the dead. We’ve got a news flash that goes right back to the beginning.

Was the tomb actually empty?

Perhaps the tomb was never empty, some skeptics say. But even the opponents of Jesus implicitly
    conceded the tomb was empty that first Easter morning. In fact, so sure they were of the empty tomb
    that they claimed that Christ’s disciples stole His body.

And Jesus’ body was almost certainly put into that tomb, despite arguments that victims of
    crucifixion were never buried. The Digesta, a summary of ancient Roman law compiled by the Emperor
    Justinian, says: “The bodies of persons who have been punished should be given to whoever requests
    them for the purposes of burial.” In fact, in 1968, archaeologists found the buried remains of a
    crucifixion victim with the spike still through his anklebone.

But how was the tomb emptied? Romans didn’t have a motive for stealing the body. They wanted Jesus
    dead. Jewish leaders of the day didn’t have a motive. They wanted Jesus to stay dead. Disciples
    didn’t have the means or the opportunity to steal the body. The most plausible explanation is that
    Jesus rose from the dead.

Did people actually see Jesus alive?

We have nine ancient sources inside and outside the New Testament that corroborate the conviction of
    the disciples that they encountered the resurrected Jesus. This is an avalanche of historical
    evidence! What’s more, the earliest report of the Resurrection says 500 people saw Him at the same
    time.

“OK,” skeptics say, “so people saw something. Could they have been hallucinating?” But that sort of
    shared hallucination doesn’t happen, according to the psychology experts I talked with.
    Hallucinations happen in individual minds.

What’s more, Saul of Tarsus, who for years lived as a persecutor of Christians, encountered the
    resurrected Christ (Acts 9:1-6).
    Saul was not psychologically primed to have a vision of the risen
    Jesus — and he had no motive to claim such an encounter if it had never occurred.

What I had to conclude

Disproving the Resurrection wasn’t easy! In fact, it was impossible. My research caused me to
    realize: The case for the resurrection of Jesus is powerful and persuasive. That evidence led me to
    my own faith in Christ, and in the years since that investigation, I’ve been helping other
    Christians understand how we can have confidence in the biblical accounts of the
    Resurrection.

At Easter, we’re not just celebrating a holiday of chocolate eggs, ham dinners and time with our
    families. No, we are recognizing that Christ’s resurrection authenticates His claim that He is the
    Son of God.

You see, anyone can make claims, and Jesus certainly made transcendent, messianic and divine claims
    about himself. He claimed He was the Son of God. But if He actually came back from death, that
    affirms His divine identity. As the apostle Paul said, “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is
    futile and you are still in your sins” (1 Corinthians 15:17).

If the resurrection of Jesus is true, then His teachings are not just wise words from an old, dead
    sage. They are the very words of God. We’re compelled to follow these teachings and help our
    children understand that Jesus deserves our worship and our allegiance.

His resurrection means that He is still alive, and we can encounter Him today. And because of His
    atoning death on the Cross, all those who follow Him have received forgiveness for their sins, and

The Resurrection truly changes everything.

Lee Strobel is an award-winning author and former investigative journalist. His most recent book is The Case for Christ. "

The article is very educational, enlightening, and a fair and equal conversation piece, to add to the discussion.

You’re confusing bias reinforcement with education.

@TKDB

Strobel

Lee Strobel
    The divine comedy
    Creationism
    Icon creationismsvg
    Running gags
    Jokes aside
    Blooper reel
    v - t - e

Lee Strobel (born 1952) is a popular Christian apologistcreationistjournalistintelligent designproponent, author of several books, charlatan, and host of a television program called Faith Under Fire.

Strobel's "shtick" is to present himself both as an investigative reporter (somewhat true - Strobel was once the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune) and a former atheist. For a self-professed investigative reporter, he seems utterly incapable of asking difficult questions, providing citations for his claims, confronting people when they make overly vague or conflicting statements if said statements cohere with his views or assertions, and seems to take The Bible at face value without argument. Likewise, his description of his atheist past sounds suspiciously like the way atheists are depicted by Christians (e.g. that he was rejecting God, despite knowing or suspecting that He existed(!), in order to be able to sinfreely[1]).

Furthermore, he rarely interviews people critical of his position and when he does quote them, the quotes are usually superficial and used as a strawman argument for the following text. Comments that support his position are often taken at face value, without analysis or scrutiny and there is almost never any investigation of the claims made which are in support of his arguments.

It is perhaps fitting, given these "credentials", that Strobel was hired as Professor of Christian Thought[2]by Houston Baptist the-bible-is-literally-true[3] "University" where he now works alongside "I'm a professional philosopherno really"-William Lane Craig.

@TKDB said .....I continue to be educated , I know it’s something as you admit you’re sadly lacking .....read on ......

Basically Strobel is a and mentally unbalanced religious nut .....TK of course calls him “equal and fair “ two concepts that are totally alien to him and Strobel 

****His resurrection

No one has ever resurrected except in zombie movies , only a person that believes in talking snakes , water walking messiahs or Noah’s ark would believe such utter ....Wait that’s you isn’t it?

****means that He is still alive,

Right , yet you cannot produce him 

*** and we can encounter Him today

Only if you’re mentally unbalanced 

***And because of His
    atoning death on the Cross, 

What a sacrifice died on a cross to be resurrected three days yet children waited years in concentration camps to be gassed and that is not a bigger sacrifice 

***gall those who follow Him have received forgiveness for their sins, and

Why would I follow a god that approved of slavery?

****The  Resurrection truly changes everything.

So did Harry Potter 

***Lee Strobel is an award-winning author and former investigative journalist. His most recent book is The Case for Christ. "

Couldn’t care less about the  

***The article is very educational, enlightening, and a fair and equal conversation piece, to add to the discussion.

It only seems like that to you because like you he believes in  

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Dr_Maybe

Yes , you’re right. You’re dealing with T the sites biggest troll ....I’m surprised he went a whole post without mentioning Dawkins 

• Religion today is already the ancient legends/myths of yesterday.

Well, that is true today for a lot of people yes. The major difference in regard to this day and age though is due in part, to the major advancements in technology and science.

Moreover, I think the earliest records we've got in people believing in God's goes back to more than 5000 years ago, with Ancient Egypt, and Hinduism. I'm not sure though, which came first out of these two or if they somehow happened at the same sort of time; but they are more than 5000 years old.

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

What is legendary or mythical about Atheism? 

The Religion of today will eventually become the Ancient legends/myths of Yesterday

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

*****What is legendary or mythical about Atheism? 

Where did I say it was either?

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    @Dee

I'll rephrase the question for you, based on you being an Atheist, right? 

What is legendary or mythical about Atheism? 

I was just asking a question, based on the theme of the forum?

@Dee,

And what is this off topic information about?

"Strobel

Lee Strobel
    The divine comedy
    Creationism
    Icon creationismsvg
    Running gags
    Jokes aside
    Blooper reel
    v - t - e

Lee Strobel (born 1952) is a popular Christian apologistcreationistjournalistintelligent designproponent, author of several books, charlatan, and host of a television program called Faith Under Fire.

Strobel's "shtick" is to present himself both as an investigative reporter (somewhat true - Strobel was once the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune) and a former atheist. For a self-professed investigative reporter, he seems utterly incapable of asking difficult questions, providing citations for his claims, confronting people when they make overly vague or conflicting statements if said statements cohere with his views or assertions, and seems to take The Bible at face value without argument. Likewise, his description of his atheist past sounds suspiciously like the way atheists are depicted by Christians (e.g. that he was rejecting God, despite knowing or suspecting that He existed(!), in order to be able to sinfreely[1]).

Furthermore, he rarely interviews people critical of his position and when he does quote them, the quotes are usually superficial and used as a strawman argument for the following text. Comments that support his position are often taken at face value, without analysis or scrutiny and there is almost never any investigation of the claims made which are in support of his arguments.

It is perhaps fitting, given these "credentials", that Strobel was hired as Professor of Christian Thought[2]by Houston Baptist the-bible-is-literally-true[3] "University" where he now works alongside "I'm a professional philosopherno really"-William Lane Craig.

@TKDB said .....I continue to be educated , I know it’s something as you admit you’re sadly lacking .....read on ......

Basically Strobel is a and mentally unbalanced religious nut .....TK of course calls him “equal and fair “ two concepts that are totally alien to him and Strobel 

****His resurrection

No one has ever resurrected except in zombie movies , only a person that believes in talking snakes , water walking messiahs or Noah’s ark would believe such utter ....Wait that’s you isn’t it?

****means that He is still alive,

Right , yet you cannot produce him 

*** and we can encounter Him today

Only if you’re mentally unbalanced 

***And because of His
    atoning death on the Cross, 

What a sacrifice died on a cross to be resurrected three days yet children waited years in concentration camps to be gassed and that is not a bigger sacrifice 

***gall those who follow Him have received forgiveness for their sins, and

Why would I follow a god that approved of slavery?

****The  Resurrection truly changes everything.

So did Harry Potter 

***Lee Strobel is an award-winning author and former investigative journalist. His most recent book is The Case for Christ. "

Couldn’t care less about the  

***The article is very educational, enlightening, and a fair and equal conversation piece, to add to the discussion.

It only seems like that to you because like you he believes in "

@Dee

Do you know what , in reality stands for? Beautiful Scriptures, that are pro community, and pro family, and Pro Religious Freedom.

@Dee ;

"Yes , you’re right. You’re dealing with T the sites biggest troll ....I’m surprised he went a whole post without mentioning Dawkins."

Isn't this comment from you off topic?